Community Discussion (Week 4) - Advertising

^That's not true. Scam's are dishonest and misleading tools used to pretty much steal money from people who are fooled by them. Scams are those free ipads and hot singles in your area you see on the internet. Almost anything you see on TV, in magazines, or any other big media will be regulated to a degree so that true scams do not reach the consumer.

I once saw statistics for something like this a few years ago in one my math books. It said that 30%-something percent of all TV adds were scams in some way or another.

I have also heard loads of stories about TV ads stealing and using people's credit card info (aside from just using it for their purchase).

Just Google "TV ad scams". They're more popular then you think.

Nigel said:
I once saw statistics for something like this a few years ago in one my math books. It said that 30%-something percent of all TV adds were scams in some way or another.

I have also heard loads of stories about TV ads stealing and using people's credit card info (aside from just using it for their purchase).

Just Google "TV ad scams". They're more popular then you think.

1. Statistics like that would have to be based on stuff from a while ago, like 900 numbers. Or, they're taking into account every infomerciall on late-night TV.

2. If using and stealing credit info is still widespread, it's probably in the fine print somewhere. Sneaky lawyers, indeed.

3. Infomercials, infomercials, infomercials. A commercial for a product one buys at retail can not be a scam; obviously, a late-night infomercial could be. Infomercials aren't as regulated. And in those infomercials, it's all about wording. That magic bracelet that was supposed to give you a boost in energy and balance got away with it for a while because of the way they worded the benefits ("In studies, those with this bracelet had more energy after wearing the bracelet than before. No, we're not going to tell you that group was more active and that the stuff with the bracelet came right after the previous trials were conducted, meaning they were worked up, and other things.") Many know to be weary of infomercials.

Yes, this spreads into normal advertising what with the claims and the studies, but if anything, those have many more lawyers dedicated to finding loopholes in laws and things.

Nigel said:
How so? Most advertisements are scams, anyways.
Nigel said:
Regardless of the validity of your math book, you didn't even prove the point you were attempting to back up.

Nigel you're saying some pretty vague, uninformed things.

And when I say some I mean a lot.

Nigel said:

Seriously, a statistic that you are not quite sure of from a three-year-old math book that is not clearly defined in the first place is not a good source for an argument.

EDIT: sorry that was rude I was tired but the points still stands

Anyway.

Ads are ads, it's true that our economy is dependent on them. You might not want to deal with them, but really, ads are not all that bad. Crafting ads has become an art form in itself. Think about popular and iconic advertisements, there's a reason they're popular/iconic. I like ads. I think creating ads is very interesting; you have to set a scene, sell a point, and keep somebody's attention all within 15 or 30 seconds. Plus, I find out about things through ads.

I don't like ads online, because when I'm online I have a wealth of information at my fingertips anyway; I don't need something additional that interrupts what I'm doing in order to hear about new things. But on TV, in magazines, I do appreciate the presence of ads.

The ads on my phone are really like what the hell though I mean seriously what is that

6-Dimension said:
I don't like ads online, because when I'm online I have a wealth of information at my fingertips anyway; I don't need something additional that interrupts what I'm doing in order to hear about new things. But on TV, in magazines, I do appreciate the presence of ads.
Hold up. Ads in magazine can be glossed over pretty quickly, but I fail to see how you can "appreciate" televised advertisements. As a transition from one show is fine, but you're fine with your show being interrupted halfway through for ads?

Zyflair said:
Hold up. Ads in magazine can be glossed over pretty quickly, but I fail to see how you can "appreciate" televised advertisements. As a transition from one show is fine, but you're fine with your show being interrupted halfway through for ads?

Well, yeah.

I appreciate them as an art form, and I expect my show to be interrupted by ads, it's not nearly as jarring as you make it seem. Plus, it's hard for me to just sit through a half hour of watching a show. However, I think this is cuz I watch a lot of sitcoms. I imagine commercials coming up while watching shows that really draw the viewer into the world (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc.) are obnoxious because they take you out of the world that the show immerses you.

That's why product placement is annoying in video games and movies; they make you remember, "Oh, right, I'm playing a video game/watching a movie." But TV shows are a different medium, where ads are the norm and immersive worlds are not.

So, yeah, I find ads entertaining, am fascinated with their production, and think that they provide convenience.

To me, it all depends on the medium.

How do advertisements & the media affect everyday life?
I believe that it is hard for advertisements to not affect anyone's life. Sure enough these advertisements are everywhere and this really all started because of Coca Cola. These advertisements serve the purpose to make us want more and more and more, to be up to date with the latest trends and gadgets. They make people with out these new objects feel outdated or even "poor" for not having these. The art of advertisement has also been developed in a way so that these advertisements try not to say anything, so that they can't be fully judged as being misleading, because for example the cream and weight loss advertisements, they have supposed testimonies where it had worked for some people, but never do they say that it will 100% work for everybody.

Do you find advertisements to be intrusive? Consider all of the adds you find in public places such as hospitals and even public schools.
Of course I find advertisements to be intrusive. They are literally everywhere we look. We see ads on television, bus stops, trains, the internet, billboards and even people wearing clothes with the company's logos on them, is still advertising! They intrude on our everyday life whether it be when ever we want to watch some television or some YouTube.

What do you think is the most affective form of advertisements? Do magazines and newspapers reach out to more people than radio or tv? And what about the internet?

Television is easily the most effective form of advertisement due to the huge amounts of people that watch television. These advertisements are also done in a very memorable way, such as through their ridiculous jingles and songs and what not. No matter how stupid an advertisement may appear, the fact of the matter is that we remember it, which is their ultimate goal.

An example of a very well known but "annoying" Australian advertisement

Should there be more censorship placed on advertisements? (Think beer or cigarrette brands, etc)
In Australia, I have actually never seen a Television advertisement, or any other kind for cigarettes.. I believe that there actually is some form of ban, or else that cigarettes are already in their mature stage of their product life cycle, it would prove ineffective to advertise them.. I don't know. But yeah I am for the censorship of beer and cigarette advertisements.

Do you think false advertising exists? If so, to what extent?

As I said before, these advertisements don't present anything definite. They say that it has worked for some, and it should work for you. Some have guarantees though I guess.. but more times than not these weight loss things work for a month or so but then your weight plateaus and as soon as you "go off" the products, you put your weight back on.

Do you think the advertising market as a whole (including graphic artists, business communications, webmakers, large companies) is growing or shrinking?
Advertising is definitely growing. For one thing they are finding new ways to invade our lives with their advertising nonsense. For instance YouTube advertising and such is still relatively new, and there are still many ways they can exploit their advertising in the future as technology advances.

Back