CMP's Digital and Traditional Art

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
While I traditionally partake in traditional art (perhaps some of which I'll post here), I've recently taken up digital art up again for my set, Neo Redux (link in sig).

There will be unfinished parts on most of the artwork, because I'm making these for fake cards, not so much as solo art pieces. So don't bother pointing that out. :p

Digital Art:

Wigglytuff - note: unfinished left ear (cut off of card)
Woobat - note: in semi-style of Miki Tanaka (stylized -- purposely not given eye tuffs)
Gulpin - note: in style of Sumiyoshi Kizuki
Chimecho - note: in style of Hironobo Yoshoda
Burmy - note: in style of Tomokazu Komiya
----​
Unown A - note: background edited from an iPhone shot
Unown B - note: background reminscent of the Neo-era Unown B card
Unown E - note: background edited from an iPhone shot
Unown R - note: background reminiscent of abstract backgrounds found on Neo-era Unown cards
Unown X - note: background a quick take at the Ruins of Alph-style shots from Neo-era Unown cards

Traditional Art:

Nupastel - note: basically an experiment in color; I used Nupastel in most every color but black.
Pencil sketch - note: obviously not complete haha, but I hate doing hair so this is one of those "on hold indefinitely" projects.

Badge Requests:

I am currently able to make a small number of badges, as seen in my Johto Gym Leaders set as well as my avatar. If you would like one, please PM me or leave a comment on my profile with the following information (using this form):
Trainer Image: Must be existing art
Badge Shape: If using your own design, must provide a large size
Texture: For the background of the badge​

Please be aware that the badges take some time and that I may not get to everyone's requests right away.

RE: CMP's Card Artwork

Man, I wish I could do stuff like this. Would make my cards look loads more official. Great job. =D

Wow- excellent job on Woobat, CMP. I didn't know that you also do traditional art ;D

Not bad! I'm guessing you use Photoshop for all your digital work?

Thanks everybody -- usually I do more traditional art...I've sent some of you examples of my sketches and pastels. I used to own a tablet but it broke a few years ago and since then, I haven't been much into digital work; I find it much more difficult to work via a mouse.

Like I said, most of the stuff I make is for cards, in which any decent piece can look better (especially when smaller). I'm not promising any masterpieces here! :p

@AadmM -- those specific pieces were done in Photoshop, but I do dab into Illustrator from time to time. Unfortunately, I only have Illustrator on my laptop (which is slower than molasses) and not on the iMac which is my primary computer.

Dude. Those are sick. Like really, I am stunned. You are an excellent artist, keep updating because I would LOOOOOOVE to see more.

A little late (okay, a lot late), but thanks 6D! And now, time for an update (finally)!

gulpin__nobody_likes_you__by_ilkcmp-d466wzm.png

I recently got a tablet, so I was fooling around with some hand-drawn stuff.

I figure the best way to learn is to look at others' for inspiration -- in this case, Sumiyoshi Kizuki. I've already done a Miki Tanaka-style piece, but I'm going to work on replicating the style of a different TCG artist each piece and in so doing, hopefully develop my own style in the process.

Really just a practice/trial-and-error/first time using a tablet piece, but I'll probably end up using this for artwork for the Neo Redux Gulpin card.

RE: CMP also does art? What is this madness!?

Thanks guys! I'm working on Gurdurr and Cascoon right now, so those will hopefully be done soon.

I know who to ask for if I need art for my future TCG fakes. o_o

Amazing artwork, CMP, I really dig your style. Your Woobat is really good, but Gulpin is one of my favorite Pokemon, so bonus points for that. :3

Heh, I think I see how Sumiyoshi Kizuki does these now.

Any other artists you plan to imitate? I'd like to see one for Tomokazu Komiya.

Thanks, Spammy! I know you've been asking for me to do Gulpin, which is part of the reason I went and made art for it. =)

@Ophie: Sumiyoshi Kizuki's style is a little different now (thinner lines, more detailed), but in essence still the same. I did base the Gulpin off of her earlier work (Neo and e-card era). I was thinking about doing something in Tomokazu Komiya's style...definitely something I'll be doing soon!

Yeah, it is still undeniably Kizuki's though--no other illustrator draws quite like that.

Tomokazu Komiya's would be interesting to take on. You can tell he's well-versed in everything about painting but purposely makes his stuff look bad. Apparently, he's a forerunner in the current primitivist movement in Japan. So I'd like to see other people's take on his style, because it's the sort of style most experienced artists would try to avoid, not practice.

Interesting, Ophie -- I wasn't aware about Tomokazu Komiya. I've got a few projects going on right now, but I'll definitely get to it ASAP.

Updated with some of my more traditional stuff. One's color practice, and the other is just your normal sketch. I took them to show Nekoban Ryo a few months ago but didn't have a camera at the time, so I had to use my phone. Sorry about that!

70772789.png
Basically an experiment in color; I used Nupastel in most every color but black.

49155440.png
Obviously not complete haha, but I hate doing hair so this is one of those "on hold indefinitely" projects.

Well, my favorite in this would have to be the Woobat, since I especially like that style, but you surprised me. I didn't think you were an artist at all, much less this talented! Great job!

@Ophie: The old man was based on a random stock picture I found online, while the girl in the sketch is an actress named Dianna Agron.

@aggie: Thanks! Yep, I'm an artist -- I almost majored in art, actually. I've just never posted any of my stuff before. =)

Back