• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard CFTC Solgaleo GX/Rayquaza

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
CFTC (Convenience for the Community) Solgaleo GX/Rayquaza

Decklist:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 1 Solgaleo Prism Star ULP 89
* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 3 Rayquaza GRI 106
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 75
* 4 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 4 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Skyla BKT 148
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 3 Order Pad UPR 131
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Max Potion GRI 128
* 3 N FCO 105
* 1 Heavy Ball BKT 140
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123

##Energy - 13

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136
* 9 Metal Energy GEN 82

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Strategy: With the strength of the sun, Solgaleo GX is a extremely powerful Pokémon that can deal tons of damage in a single blow. With the Sunsteel Strike attack (which costs a [M], [M], and a [C] energy), Solgaleo GX deals 230 damage to your opponents active Pokémon, but at the heavy cost of discarding all energy attached to it. This is where the Sol Burst GX attack comes in, which for one [M] energy, allows you to search your deck for up 5 energy cards (Special Energy included) and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like. Combined with Rayquaza (which helps recycle energies with its Turbo Storm attack), Solgaleo GX can slice through your opponent's strongest Pokémon at the blink of an eye.

Level of Difficulty: Novice; with the use of a Stage 2, Solgaleo GX/Rayquaza is a little difficult in managing bench and energy levels. Once a player gets set up though, as long as you can keep up with your resources, it is really just a rinse/repeat action. As a player more accustomed to the deck, it gets a lot easier to play as well due to the main objective being attacking with Solgaleo GX over and over again.

Total Average Price=$

(refer to the CFTC main page here for explanations {which will be up soon} on price symbols {what the $-$-$ prices represent} and what the "Level of Difficulty" words {such as Beginner, Novice, and Expert} mean)

Feel free to discuss, ask questions, or make suggestions! Hope this helps!

Last edited:

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Decklist:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Rayquaza GRI 106
* 1 Magearna-EX STS 75
* 3 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 4 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Cosmoem SUM 65

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Skyla BKT 148
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 3 Order Pad UPR 131
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Max Potion GRI 128
* 3 N FCO 105
* 1 Heavy Ball BKT 140
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123

##Energy - 13

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136
* 9 Metal Energy GEN 82

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Strategy: With the strength of the sun, Solgaleo GX is a extremely powerful Pokémon that can deal tons of damage in a single blow. With the Sunsteel Strike attack (which costs a [M], [M], and a [C] energy), Solgaleo GX deals 230 damage to your opponents active Pokémon, but at the heavy cost of discarding all energy attached to it. This is where the Sol Burst GX attack comes in, which for one [M] energy, allows you to search your deck for up 5 energy cards (Special Energy included) and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like. Combined with Rayquaza (which helps recycle energies with its Turbo Storm attack), Solgaleo GX can slice through your opponent's strongest Pokémon at the blink of an eye.

Level of Difficulty: Novice; with the use of a Stage 2, Solgaleo GX/Rayquaza is a little difficult in managing bench and energy levels. Once a player gets set up though, as long as you can keep up with your resources, it is really just a rinse/repeat action. As a player more accustomed to the deck, it gets a lot easier to play as well due to the main objective being attacking with Solgaleo GX over and over again.

Total Price Average=$

(refer to the CFTC main page here for explanations {which will be up soon} on price symbols {what the $-$-$ prices represent} and what the "Level of Difficulty" words {such as Beginner, Novice, and Expert} mean)

Feel free to discuss, ask questions, or make suggestions! Hope this helps!

Probs need to shove in Mt. Coronet ;)

FrostBiter12

Probs need to shove in Mt. Coronet ;)

That wouldn't be bad, but the main focus is for energy to be either in the deck (for a Sol Burst GX) or for Rayquaza to attach with Turbo Storm (meaning Mt. Coronet somewhat doesn't help with that process). If I do add Mt. Coronet though, what you suggest I remove?

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
That wouldn't be bad, but the main focus is for energy to be either in the deck (for a Sol Burst GX) or for Rayquaza to attach with Turbo Storm (meaning Mt. Coronet somewhat doesn't help with that process). If I do add Mt. Coronet though, what you suggest I remove?

Mmm, Audino, we could just remove Ray entirely and use a Mt. Coronet engine,

but then field blower...

FrostBiter12

Mmm, Audino, we could just remove Ray entirely and use a Mt. Coronet engine,

but then field blower...

Honestly, I think that Rayquaza does a better job as it attaches energy directly while Mt. Coronet just puts the energy in your hand. Also, Rayquaza is the reason I don't play Choice Band as it deals chip damage (30 to be exact) which means that the extra 30+230=260 which is above the highest amount of HP any Pokémon has. That means that Choice Band isn't necessary (clearing space for the more cards).

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
If I priced the deck right, you have a lot of wiggle room. Although Solgaleo Prism Star is like 7 bucks. Helps accelerate energy from the discard pile with its 1 energy attack and if you can load up its other attack, it is good too. I would replace one of the Rayquaza for it.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Honestly, I think that Rayquaza does a better job as it attaches energy directly while Mt. Coronet just puts the energy in your hand. Also, Rayquaza is the reason I don't play Choice Band as it deals chip damage (30 to be exact) which means that the extra 30+230=260 which is above the highest amount of HP any Pokémon has. That means that Choice Band isn't necessary (clearing space for the more cards).

I'm just thinking of easy 1 prize ko's.

FrostBiter12

If I priced the deck right, you have a lot of wiggle room. Although Solgaleo Prism Star is like 7 bucks. Helps accelerate energy from the discard pile with its 1 energy attack and if you can load up its other attack, it is good too. I would replace one of the Rayquaza for it.

Yeah, it works really well with this deck. Turns out that Solgaleo Prism Star is actually only $2.49 on TCGPlayer.com, so that is better I suppose. Already added one in, so thanks for the idea!

I'm just thinking of easy 1 prize ko's.

Well, if your taking easy two-prize K.O.s with Solgaleo GX, I think that it is worth only giving up one prize. I mean, Rayquaza has more health than Alolan Vulpix (or Sudowoodo, Tapu Koko, Mew EX {which has the same amount of health as Rayquaza and gives up to prizes as well}, etc.) and people still play that in decks to accelerate evolution lines, so I don't think giving up only one prize is a big issue.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Likely going to be building this deck IRL because once the new Solgaleo GX comes out next month, I imagine this stuff ain't going to be cheap to get. Also noticed 4 Cosmog and 3 Solgaleo GX. Is there a reason for this?

Last edited:

FrostBiter12

Likely going to be building this deck IRL because once the new Solgaleo GX comes out next month, I imagine this stuff ain't going to be cheap to get. Also noticed 4 Cosmog and 3 Solgaleo GX. Is there a reason for this?

To be honest, this isn't my list, so I guess I forgot to edit that part. My guess would be that by the time your opponent got through three Solgaleo GX (or two Solgaleo GXs and some Rayquazas), your opponent has won the game. I think that going up to four Solgaleo GX would increase consistency though, so I'll throw another in. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: Removed a Cosmoem and added in the fourth Solgaleo GX.

K-Genesis

Aspiring Trainer
-1 Rayquaza
-1 Solgaleo-GX

-2 Cynthia
-1 Super Rod
-1 Order Pad

-2 Double Colorless Energy
---------------------------------

+1 Solgaleo SUM

+1 Hala
+2 Prof. Sycamore
+1 Heavy Ball
+1 Nest Ball

+2 Metal Energy

Running a non-budget version of the deck, I assume that the general strategy is the same: Sol Burst GX t2, wreck stuff t3/t4, recharge with Ray/Sol<> t5, rinse and repeat. I geared my suggestions towards consistency and conformity to the main plan, which means acceleration and assurance.

3 Rayquaza are a bit too much, the way I see it. I'd even argue the necessity of 2 Rayquaza, having Sol<>.
You also need an alternative to Hoopa/Ninetales aside from the one-time use Sol<>. Baby Leo fits the bill in spades without hurting consistency, and takes Lele prizes.

Since you're aiming for t2 GX, Hala is a nice plus to Cynthia and Sycamore is your emergency button when things don't go your way. Even at the risk of discarding needed stuff.

Heavy and Nest Balls at higher numbers increase evolution and bench consistency, since you're not running Lele/Brigette.

Replacing DCE for Metal because you absolutely need Metal in hand to keep going during late game and Sol Burst gives you the needed DCE for Ray, which is DCE's only function here.

Ecko9i6

Aspiring Trainer
-1 Rayquaza
-1 Solgaleo-GX

-2 Cynthia
-1 Super Rod
-1 Order Pad

+1 Solgaleo SUM

+1 Hala
+2 Prof. Sycamore
+1 Heavy Ball
+1 Nest Ball

+2 Metal Energy

Running a non-budget version of the deck, I assume that the general strategy is the same: Sol Burst GX t2, wreck stuff t3/t4, recharge with Ray/Sol<> t5, rinse and repeat. I geared my suggestions towards consistency and conformity to the main plan, which means acceleration and assurance.

3 Rayquaza are a bit too much, the way I see it. I'd even argue the necessity of 2 Rayquaza, having Sol<>.
You also need an alternative to Hoopa/Ninetales aside from the one-time use Sol<>. Baby Leo fits the bill in spades without hurting consistency, and takes Lele prizes.

Since you're aiming for t2 GX, Hala is a nice plus to Cynthia and Sycamore is your emergency button when things don't go your way. Even at the risk of discarding needed stuff.

Heavy and Nest Balls at higher numbers increase evolution and bench consistency, since you're not running Lele/Brigette.

Replacing DCE for Metal because you absolutely need Metal in hand to keep going during late game and Sol Burst gives you the needed DCE for Ray, which is DCE's only function here.

I agree with taking out a solgaleo gx, rayquaza and Super rod. I would even go as far to say to completely take out all of the order pads. Adding Sycamore is a must and the heavy ball will definitely help consistency.

I disagree with removing the DCEs and adding Hala, Nest Ball and 2 metal energies. The list really needs brigette to do well so adding Brigette will be a better option instead of using Nest balls IMO. This list also desperately needs 3 Lele in order to be able to freely search for said brigette to get set up properly turn 1.

Using the baby Solgaleo is not a good idea because you're supposed to be recycling energies from your discard to power up your Solgaleo GX. Baby solgaleo needs 3 energies to attack, which means that there are 3 less energies available to use for your main attackers. Also, baby solgaleo only hits for 170 which means that it isn't taking a knockout on anything relevant. Sure you can get a knock out after attacking with Rayquaza, but you'll only be hitting for 200 when most meta Pokemon have 210 HP.

Hala is also extremely situational and will only help you in some cases. Imagine starting with Hala in your opening hand turn 1 and you don't have a good hand at all. This means that you'll be forced to use Hala and drop your hand to 4 (from potentially 7 or more cards) which will hurt you in the end. You're better off running a higher count of Cynthia since you will always be able to draw 6 cards after shuffling.

K-Genesis

Aspiring Trainer
I agree with taking out a solgaleo gx, rayquaza and Super rod. I would even go as far to say to completely take out all of the order pads. Adding Sycamore is a must and the heavy ball will definitely help consistency.

I disagree with removing the DCEs and adding Hala, Nest Ball and 2 metal energies. The list really needs brigette to do well so adding Brigette will be a better option instead of using Nest balls IMO. This list also desperately needs 3 Lele in order to be able to freely search for said brigette to get set up properly turn 1.

Using the baby Solgaleo is not a good idea because you're supposed to be recycling energies from your discard to power up your Solgaleo GX. Baby solgaleo needs 3 energies to attack, which means that there are 3 less energies available to use for your main attackers. Also, baby solgaleo only hits for 170 which means that it isn't taking a knockout on anything relevant. Sure you can get a knock out after attacking with Rayquaza, but you'll only be hitting for 200 when most meta Pokemon have 210 HP.

Hala is also extremely situational and will only help you in some cases. Imagine starting with Hala in your opening hand turn 1 and you don't have a good hand at all. This means that you'll be forced to use Hala and drop your hand to 4 (from potentially 7 or more cards) which will hurt you in the end. You're better off running a higher count of Cynthia since you will always be able to draw 6 cards after shuffling.

I'm also iffy on Order Pads, but the nature of the list (more on that below) supports its use.

This list is CFTC (essentially, a budget list), so Lele and Brigette won't make the cut. Hence why Nest Ball. And why Order Pads might make sense.

Baby Solgaleo reduces the amount of turns necessary to recharge, depending on your target (i.e. Lele) and, like I said, takes care of Hoopa/Ninetales. Usually, Dhelmise and Choice Band are also a part of SolQuaza lists, so that would give baby Leo enough power to OHKO 210hp meta, but its inclusion in this setup is debatable, sure.

Hala x Cynthia is mainly preference. Ups and downs on each choice, but I think it's worth mentioning.

Ecko9i6

Aspiring Trainer
Ahhh I see, I didn't know what CFTC meant.

My apologies then, most of my feedback can be disregarded due to now being budget friendly.

I would still suggest getting rid of Order Pads. You have a 50/50 chance of getting an item, but I dislike cards that have chance. If you need a specific item in a pinch, this may cause you to lose.

I run Solgaleo currently and I considered running Baby Solgaleo, but the fact that its also a stage 2 made me look for other options. You're using one of your rare candies to bring out something can easily be knocked out due to low hp (160) that takes quite a few resources to set up. I suppose I feel this way as well since I don't feel like choice bands are necessary and Dhelmise takes up bench space.

I can understand the payout of getting 7 cards after using your GX attack, but this list will make it difficult to pull off a turn 2 Sol Burst due to no lele/no brigettes. I think it would be better to play Cynthia/Shauna if this is the case. Either that or just run Pal Pad to add Cynthia from your discard back to your deck.

If Brigette cannot be used for budget reasons, perhaps Pokemon Fan Club might be a good alternative. You're getting 1 less Pokemon, but at least it will help with the set up.

FrostBiter12

-1 Rayquaza
-1 Solgaleo-GX

-2 Cynthia
-1 Super Rod
-1 Order Pad

+1 Solgaleo SUM

+1 Hala
+2 Prof. Sycamore
+1 Heavy Ball
+1 Nest Ball

+2 Metal Energy

So, I think I understand what your getting at @K-Genesis, but I think that this list is already more than enough on the consistency scale. I keep the counts on cards such as Rayquaza high so it is easier for you to start with or draw into them (like most other cards in this deck). Dropping number of these cards (like Solgaleo GX, Super Rod, Double Colorless Energy, etc.) also drops the consistency quite a bit. If I had the cards on a scale (your suggestions on one side and my list on the other), I think that the original cards would weigh more in comparison. Cynthia outclasses Prof. Sycamore in all evolution decks since you recycle resources such as Rare Candy instead of discarding them. Hala isn't as powerful as a one-of, especially since turn 2 Sol Burst GX isn't always what is going to happen. Rayquaza is my out against Hoopa/Ninetales, I would rather evolve into a Solgaleo GX in almost every case instead of the Baby Solgaleo.

Ahhh I see, I didn't know what CFTC meant.

My apologies then, most of my feedback can be disregarded due to now being budget friendly.

I would still suggest getting rid of Order Pads. You have a 50/50 chance of getting an item, but I dislike cards that have chance. If you need a specific item in a pinch, this may cause you to lose.

I run Solgaleo currently and I considered running Baby Solgaleo, but the fact that its also a stage 2 made me look for other options. You're using one of your rare candies to bring out something can easily be knocked out due to low hp (160) that takes quite a few resources to set up. I suppose I feel this way as well since I don't feel like choice bands are necessary and Dhelmise takes up bench space.

I can understand the payout of getting 7 cards after using your GX attack, but this list will make it difficult to pull off a turn 2 Sol Burst due to no lele/no brigettes. I think it would be better to play Cynthia/Shauna if this is the case. Either that or just run Pal Pad to add Cynthia from your discard back to your deck.

If Brigette cannot be used for budget reasons, perhaps Pokemon Fan Club might be a good alternative. You're getting 1 less Pokemon, but at least it will help with the set up.

When I first took a look at Order Pad, I was really doubtful about it as well. But if you think about it, a 50% chance to grab any item in your deck isn't just a versatile aspect, but can really set you ahead of your opponent. When Trainers' Mail was Standard, you could see it in quite a few decks as the ability to potentially grab any trainer from the top 4 cards of you deck was incredible. I know that Order Pad isn't guaranteed, but in a budget deck where you have space due to the removal of Tapu Lele GX and other cards, I think that it can work. I don't like luck based cards as well, but TCG is all luck based, drawing into turn 1 Brigette requires luck and so does anything else. If I do remove Order Pad, what would I replace it with anyways?

I agree with you on Baby Solgaleo, I just don't think that the damage output it has for the same amount of energy as Solgaleo GX is worth it. I also agree with you on Hala, very situational and if you start with it as the only supporter in hand before you use the GX attack...

I guess I can throw in a Brigette, it isn't that expensive, but in this case I think that Nest Ball is better just because it is an item.

Also, I'll make sure to include an explanation on what CFTC means, sorry if I've confused anybody!

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
I have a League Cup in March that is standard and will likely be taking this deck. Whether I can get my paws on the new Solgaleo in time (releases the day before the Cup) is a whole other story.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
I will do that. A lot can change and likely will before then. My biggest fear is Volcanion/Ho-Oh decks running rampant since people are thinking Solgaleo or even Dugtrio are going be played a lot. Going to have a couple of weeks worth of practice before the cup. If I suspect anything, likely going to my Ninetales deck again. That is especially the case if I can't get those new Solgaleo. Either that or I find room for a couple of weakness policies.

I have another tweak to the deck. Will have to do some testing but Registeel as a one-of might be something to look at.

Last edited: