• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Buzzap Thunder Koko

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Saw this deck online and I want to try out my own variant. I'm missing a few things that I wanted to put in but this is the decklist I'm going to run with at a League Challenge tomorrow most likely.

Pokemon
  • 4 x Tapu Koko GX
  • 2 x Raikou
  • 3 x Electrode
  • 3 x Voltorb
  • 1 x Dragonite EX
  • 1 x Shaymin EX
  • 1 x Tapu Lele GX
Item/Supporter/Stadium
  • 4 x Professor Sycamore
  • 3 x N
  • 2 x Lysandre
  • 1 x Professor Kukui
  • 1 x Wally

• 4 x Ultra Ball
  • 2 x Level Ball
  • 4 x VS Seeker
  • 3 x Trainers' Mail
  • 3 x Choice Band
  • 1 x Exp. Share
  • 2 x Field Blower
  • 2 x Max Potion
  • 3 x Aether Paradise Conservation Area
  • 1 x Parallel City
Energy
  • 9 x Lightning Energy - Basic
Changelist:
  • Removed Jolteon EX, it just didn't seem to be adding much to the deck
  • Added 1 Raikou for more consistency in getting a single prize attacker
  • Switched the 2 Shaymin EX line up for a 1:1 Shaymin EX :Tapu Lele GX line up
  • Removed one Level Ball
  • Added one Parallel City

Note: I have two Tapu Lele GX BUT they are currently in the deck that my GF will be using at this same event. I have another on the way set aside for this deck but it won't be here in time!

I think the Pokemon setup here is pretty self explanatory.

• 4x Tapu Koko to maximize his Aero Trail ability in order to stream attackers.

• Jolteon to disrupt basic Pokemon and apply pressure. Raikou is there as a powerful and bulky single prize attacker.

• Electrode runs the show with Buzzap Thunder, giving me the ability for a potential turn one Sky-High Claws. I was torn on how many I should run, but a 3-3 line seems like a solid compromise between 2-2 which could get prized, and 4-4 which would bog the deck down.
  • Dragonite EX and Shaymin EX for their respective supporting abilities.
Supporter lineup is pretty standard with one Wally tossed in for his ability to get me an Electrode. Considering I'm not running a ton of tech supporters I'm wonder if I can shave off a VS Seeker? It's still really important that I be able to get Kukui and Lysandre when i need them though.

As for items, I've seen most Tapu decks are running FFB and Aether, and while I have the Aether (mostly because I don't feel like there's any other solid Lightning Stadium) I have opted for damage over sustainability, mostly because of the existence of Field Blower. Even with the double protection of Aether and FFB one field blower nullifies both forms of damage mitigation. I'd therefore rather be able to hit solid 180 numbers with Tapu Koko (and the GX for 250 with only 4 energy on their side). I teched in one Exp. Share for some energy retention. Might try to find room for two but I don't want to rely on it too heavily for the same reason I don't want to run FFB.

Max Potions synergize nicely with Aero Trail.

9 energy because of Buzzap Thunder

Last edited:
Potentially bench space would be an issue

I'd either replace the dragonite EX wth rescue stretcher, or include a parallel city to free up some Spots on the bench (if you're worried about dumping items for garb)

3 level ball might be overkill since they only allow you to get the electrode line, maybe one more basic energy and a couple max elixir?

Too bad you can't get the Lele, he's crucial for a timely Wally

Potentially bench space would be an issue

I'd either replace the dragonite EX wth rescue stretcher, or include a parallel city to free up some Spots on the bench (if you're worried about dumping items for garb)

3 level ball might be overkill since they only allow you to get the electrode line, maybe one more basic energy and a couple max elixir?

Too bad you can't get the Lele, he's crucial for a timely Wally

I could drop the level ball count to 2 to fit in Parallel City, maybe drop an Ultra for Tapu Lele? I feel like that's almost counter productive though... I prefer to keep item counts on the lowish side and find ability or supporter subs in order to avoid powering up Garb too fast (hence Buzzap Thunder and not Max Elixir). This deck is already very item reliant and can't really slow play either.

Tapu Lele is on the way, it just wasn't an option for the League Challenge I was going to.

I could drop the level ball count to 2 to fit in Parallel City, maybe drop an Ultra for Tapu Lele? I feel like that's almost counter productive though... I prefer to keep item counts on the lowish side and find ability or supporter subs in order to avoid powering up Garb too fast (hence Buzzap Thunder and not Max Elixir). This deck is already very item reliant and can't really slow play either.

Tapu Lele is on the way, it just wasn't an option for the League Challenge I was going to.

Personally I'd drop two levels, ultra ball is better for both lele and Shaymin

I'd suggest replacing 1 of your 2 Shaymin EXs with a Tapu Lele GX (more versatile, more HP, no Weakness, and can inflict more damage).

I'd suggest replacing 1 of your 2 Shaymin EXs with a Tapu Lele GX (more versatile, more HP, no Weakness, and can inflict more damage).

Little bit of context. The reason why this approach makes more sense in your list is because you aren't using things like Max Elixir which tend to do better when you have explosive openings and can hit several of them early. The way you have this built, there isn't much need for that kind of draw power because you are pretty well banking on not accelerating energy until turn 2 or using Wally to accelerate turn 1. Lele is light years better for that approach because it gives you the flexibility to choose how you want to make that acceleration happen (do I want to Wally or do I want to Sycamore and draw into the stage 1). I see in your notes that you don't have the Lele's available for the event you are playing in. That said, once they are available, I would definitely make that change.

Hope that helps :)

I want to note again that I was without Tapu Lele when I made this deck. I own two and they were both in my Girlfriend's Solgaleo GX deck. I have a third on the way and I totally agree that this is an amazing card to have at least one of in this deck, especially thanks to the synergy between Voltorb/ Electrode, Tapu Lele, and Wally.

Little bit of context. The reason why this approach makes more sense in your list is because you aren't using things like Max Elixir which tend to do better when you have explosive openings and can hit several of them early. The way you have this built, there isn't much need for that kind of draw power because you are pretty well banking on not accelerating energy until turn 2 or using Wally to accelerate turn 1. Lele is light years better for that approach because it gives you the flexibility to choose how you want to make that acceleration happen (do I want to Wally or do I want to Sycamore and draw into the stage 1). I see in your notes that you don't have the Lele's available for the event you are playing in. That said, once they are available, I would definitely make that change.

Hope that helps :)

Read above ;)

At the time I made this deck it was Shaymin EX or nothing. I totally agree with you that Shaymin is the weaker option.

Pokemon
  • 4 x Tapu Koko GX
  • 2 x Raikou
  • 3 x Electrode
  • 3 x Voltorb
  • 1 x Dragonite EX
  • 1 x Shaymin EX
  • 1 x Tapu Lele GX
Item/Supporter/Stadium
  • 4 x Professor Sycamore
  • 3 x N
  • 2 x Lysandre
  • 1 x Professor Kukui
  • 1 x Wally

• 4 x Ultra Ball
  • 2 x Level Ball
  • 4 x VS Seeker
  • 3 x Trainers' Mail
  • 3 x Choice Band
  • 1 x Exp. Share
  • 2 x Field Blower
  • 2 x Max Potion
  • 3 x Aether Paradise Conservation Area
  • 1 x Parallel City
Energy
  • 9 x Lightning Energy - Basic
Changelist:

• Removed Jolteon EX, it just didn't seem to be adding much to the deck
  • Added 1 Raikou for more consistency in getting a single prize attacker
  • Switched the 2 Shaymin EX line up for a 1:1 Shaymin EX :Tapu Lele GX line up
  • Removed one Level Ball
  • Added one Parallel City

Back