Bronzong Variants

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Bronzong Variants. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Bronzong / Dialga EX Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 13
  • 4 Bronzong
  • 4 Bronzor
  • 2 Dialga EX PHF
  • 2 Aegislash EX
  • 1 Keldeo EX
Trainers: 27
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 3 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy: 12
  • 8 Metal Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Open Spots: 6

Strategy:
The goal of this deck is to use Bronzong's Metal Links ability to power up Dialga EX to use Full Metal Impact. With a Muscle Band, this deals 170 damage, enough to one shot a good deal of EX Pokemon in the format. Once you've used Full Metal Impact, you can use Keldeo EX's Rush In, Metal Links onto the Dialga EX, then the Keldeo with Float Stone and use Full Metal Impact again. Once you have set up several Bronzong, using Full Metal Impact becomes very easy for the rest of the game. Aegislash EX and Dialga's other attack, Chrono Wind, can come in handy in certain situations. The weakness of this deck is how hard it is to set up, and its vulnerability to Garbodor. If you can get past those facts, Dialga is a real heavy hitter that a lot of decks can't deal with.

Good Additions:
  • Heatan PHF
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Cobalion EX
  • Repeat Ball
  • Hypnotoxic Laser
  • Battle Compressor
  • Max Potion
  • Pokémon Fan Club
  • Steel Shelter

Last edited:
For anyone who doesn't know about Bronzong here's it's scan.

61-bronzong.jpg

The reason this card looks so good is because it is essentially a reprint of Eelektrik from Noble Victories, though using Metal Energy instead. This is a really good Acceleration and Consistency card, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did 1st or 2nd at 2015 Worlds.

Outside of Dialga-EX and Aegislash-EX, leave ideas below about Pokemon YOU think would work well with Bronzong!

Attachments

• xy21-bronzong.png
    xy21-bronzong.png
    186.3 KB · Views: 118
RE: Bronzong Phantom Forces Variants!

I believe some players may incorporate Plasma Klingklang (Ability prevents damage to your M Pokémon by opponents' EX Poké) into their decks too.

-Regigigas from Phantom Forces also looks like a good contender, as it reduces damage and runs on colorless.

-Cobalion and it's EX should work well. The Basic can stall for at least 2-3 turns before your opponent can pull in something to kill it. The EX can stop Strong Energy quickly and pierce through additional effects like Safeguard and Intimidating Mane.

-Not a particular Pokemon, but Max Potion should also work effeciently with this Bronzong. Heal it off, discard the energy, then move the energy back to something else.

-Haxorus from Plasma Blast also looks cool, but probably much harder to pull off. It also falls prey to Revenge Druddigon.

I've been looking forward to a Dialga EX/Bronzong deck that I have in mind. Potential to hit for 170 with muscle band AND get powered up in one turn with 2 Bronzong and a DCE sounds pretty good.

Cobalion EX has always been solid (no pun intended). It could slow down Seismatoad decks with Righteous Edge. Steel Bullet goes through Pyroar/Safeguarders (though it's fire weakness sucks). One thing to take note is that Righteous Edge could actually help an opponent by discarding a special energy and enabling their Pokemon to attack Aegislash EX. I don't think it's a deal breaker, but it's something to watch for.

Other non EX Basics: Heatran and Skarmory. Skarmory is grasping for straws, but it does do 90 for MMC and a discard so I think it's passable. Heatran looks like it could be a monster. 130 HP and an attack that does 130 for MMCC and a discard. Another attack does 40 + 40 more if a stadium is in play (MCC). Metal decks get a pretty neat stadium card which prevents special conditions.

Beartic: Fire pokemon kill this deck, especially Pyroar. This could also take care of Landorus EX (which is reason enough to run it imo).

Aegislash (XY): I've actually played against an Aegislash deck once and lost because I was not prepared for it. Only worry would be Lysandre/VS Seeker getting around it.

Mewtwo EX: Just a good all around pokemon.

Tornadus EX: Another colorless attacker.

I'm sure there are others that I'm missing.

M Kangaskhan EX could be good here too (heck even Kangaskhan EX isn't bad)

TuxedoBlack said:
I believe some players may incorporate Plasma Klingklang (Ability prevents damage to your M Pokémon by opponents' EX Poké) into their decks too.
That really makes the deck way too clunky in the current format. Bronzong is already clunky enough without level ball or tropical beach. Plasma klang just isn't worth the space.

This is a deck that I'd want to see doing well, but I think there's just too much against it right now. It would have benefitted from Tropical Beach, which while I can use that in Expanded, there's just too many threats to a deck like this to make it viable. Garbodor still rules the format, and while there's stuff like Megaphone and now Xerosic to counter it, playing these cards requires you to devote slots in your deck that could otherwise be search and draw power. This will leave "Meels" just too slow to keep up with other decks in the format.

There's also the matter of Fire. Pyroar decks still exist, and even if you could remove the weakness, you're relying on basic Pokemon to do your dirty work. I'm also seeing Charizard-EX FLF (Combustion Blast) splashed into some decks, including Yveltal variants these days. While it's primarily played as a VirGen counter, it can certainly do a number on this deck as well.

Im still wanting to try to Drifblims from DRX when combined with Cobalion ex.

I also think a 1 of Munna from BCR is a pretty good tech when you have steel shelter out. One sleep flip can drastically swing a match if it happens at the right time.

This deck needs a 4-4 Bronzong line and 8 metal. 2 Aegislash EX and 2 lasers on the other hand are not necessary. I only run 1 Aegislash EX in my Metal list and it has been working pretty well for me. A 1 of Battle Compressor is amazing in this deck. Right now I'm testing a variant of this deck that plays 4 Fan Club. It's working pretty well for me.

My friend runs this deck rather efficiently with just five Metal energy. Battle Compresser easily puts it into the discard, which is preceisely wher you want your energy to go. After that you just need to keep cycling them with Bronzong. Playing a low energy count this way doesn't hurt consistensy at all, and it opens up space for some interesting techs.

I'd also suggest putting Keldeo-EX / Float Stone into the skeleton list rather than under "Good Additions" since Bronzong can only attach to benched Pokemon just like Eels, the deck needs a reliable way to get Pokemon benched to be "refueled." This is especially true for Dialga-centered varients, but is just a good strategy in general. Steel Shelter is worthy of a "Good Adddition" as well. It's not as essential as Keldeo, since it needs to be played in high counts to compete with Virbank spam, but it certainly has its use.

Keldeo / Float Stone takes up bench space that you might not be able to give up. I often find myself short of bench room without even playing Keldeo.

To be honest, I don't think 4-4 Bronzong is completely necessary. I've seen lists with 3-3, 4-3, and 4-4, and all of them have been pretty successful. Keldeo/float stone is situationally really good due to being able to hammer away with things like Dialga EX turn after turn, but I do often find the problem Camo talks about above: I have a really hard time giving up the bench spot. Especially since with Steel Shelter, re-using Dialga EX is pretty much Keldeo's only function. You no longer need Keldeo to avoid laser poison/sleeps.

I found drifblim DRX i found to be a pretty decent addition to this deck. It works well in the current format of special energy in every deck and cobalion EX discards them as well. Its a nice counter to mewtwo, lucario, and anything else weak to psychic.

I don't find bench space to be a problem with this deck, though I do understand where you're coming from on that. I think that at least four Bronzon is essential to maximize your odds of getting them out turn one, but three Bronzong is definitely viable. Unlike Eels, you only need two Bronzong on your bench to do Dialga's dirty work Keldeo's necessity depends on whether your central attacker is Dialga or Aegislash, and both are good picks. I have one friend who focuses solely on Aegislash and employs a Klang line to give two layers of protection. The idea doesn't feel consisten to me (also bench space), but it's certianly deadly if it sets up.

I don't see a need for Skarmory-EX in this deck, though some of my colleagues might disagree. Tailspin Piledriver is an awesomely creative name for an attack, but it just doesn't have the utility that other Pokemon like Aegislash, Dialga, and Cobalion bring to the deck. If were to run Skarmory at all, it would be for its first attack, Joust. Even then, this a job that Startling Megaphone / Xerosic cover without wasting your attack. Skarmory-EX certainly isn't a terrible card, but there's simply better options for attackers out there.

Back