Tournament Bring Back Top 64 Money at Regionals

Dalton

Aspiring Trainer
Should Pokemon add top 64 cash to regionals when attendance hits 800?
It would not cost Pokemon much if they balanced out the insane prizes handed out to the younger divisions.
The current attendance count I am going to use is 75 junior, 150 seniors and 1,000 masters.

If prize money was evenly distributed out to every player in each division, every junior would get a $56.66. Seniors make the most at a whopping $63.33, while masters pay the highest entry cost, to make a third of what seniors get at $21.50.

There is a lot wrong with the prize system. 30 masters have made day 2 this year, and missed top 32 money. Instead of them getting paid, the money is being thrown at the seniors, all the way down to 16th, out of 150.

If Pokemon balanced out the prize system, they could bring back top 64 prize money, and have it cost them only $1,100.

The only downside you could argue is junior and senior prizes are not as high as they were. Even with the current system, it's not possible to consistently make back the trip cost as a junior/senior. Travel costs close to double that of adults when you have to factor in a parent needing to go with the kid.

This is the current prize table I have come up with.
Juniors 1st $750
2nd $500
3-4 $250
5-8 $150

Senior
1st $1,500
2nd $1,000
3-4 $500
5-8 $250

Masters
1st $5,000
2nd $2,500
3-4 $1,500
5-8 $1,000
9-16 $500
17-64 $250

Each division has prizes proportioned to attendance. Do you want top 64 money to return? Tell me in the comments.

Dalton

Aspiring Trainer
Why should you get $250 when your only 16th out of 150, and another player gets no money for 33rd out of 1000?

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
And?

It's a subjective and arbitrary matter. One that affects less then 5% of players and doesn't have any actual impact on game play. Averaging out the prizes distribution is deceptive because it doesn't show that at least 90% don't get prizes anyway And in your plan you are tanking the prize support for kids just so 3% more Masters players get a couple bucks

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
Here's the way I'd think about it
juniors should get the least cuz, well... cmon, who said an 8yr-old needs 1000 dollars?
I actually think seniors getting the most makes sense, as they, in general, are more competitive than a junior
and then most masters division players have jobs
the fact that you're complaining about this I find disturbing... somehow...

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
I think the vast majority of players are not happy with prize distribution this season over last season. With that said, the players don't really get a say in this kind of thing - the big time regionals TOs have a much bigger say in both CP and Cash distribution at regionals. Last season some of the TOs of the smaller regionals apparently complained/were unhappy with people in their minds prioritizing larger regionals over smaller regionals and therefore lobbied for lower thresholds for max prizing for small regionals/events and they also lobbied for redistribution of money from masters to juniors/seniors and from the larger regionals to the smaller regionals.

They did this with the thought process that people would be now more willing to go to these formerly smaller events... which is honestly a terribly flawed way of thinking. These small events were small primarily because of cost of access (travel), timing, and location. These locations still remain smaller events even with the changes in prize distribution while only hurting the player experience at larger events. Coupled with increased entry costs at events and the lack of t64 prizing its overall contributed to a worse player experience. But then again that was the goal (not the worse player experience, but the satisfying of TOs of smaller locations) which it achieved.

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Last season some of the TOs of the smaller regionals apparently complained/were unhappy with people in their minds prioritizing larger regionals over smaller regionals and therefore lobbied for lower thresholds for max prizing for small regionals/events and they also lobbied for redistribution of money from masters to juniors/seniors and from the larger regionals to the smaller regionals.
This is completely true for small TOs-in a podcast Alex Hill said that he went to LCs instead of Madison Regionals because he thought Madison wouldn't hit 500 players for T64/T32 money.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
This is completely true for small TOs-in a podcast Alex Hill said that he went to LCs instead of Madison Regionals because he thought Madison wouldn't hit 500 players for T64/T32 money.

Yea its partially true, but I don't think its that significant of an effect. People flying out to regionals are already a very small amount and removing t64 money entirely reduces those not in the t16 race from considering smaller regionals in their own way. So in the end numerically I don't think it helps smaller regionals out in the end either much, at all, or possibly has led to a semi-net reduction from said money redistribution with t64 money going away

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Yea its partially true, but I don't think its that significant of an effect. People flying out to regionals are already a very small amount and removing t64 money entirely reduces those not in the t16 race from considering smaller regionals in their own way. So in the end numerically I don't think it helps smaller regionals out in the end either much, at all, or possibly has led to a semi-net reduction from said money redistribution with t64 money going away
Ok mods, please don't remove this!

https://http://google.com/.com/2018/04/15/seasons-stats-and-metrics/

This is a link to Christopher Schemanske's article comparing this season and last season's regionals. It explains a lot about the T16 NA grind, and there are a lot of interesting statistics in it. Very short read, almost certainly relevant too.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
Ok mods, please don't remove this!

https://http://google.com/.com/2018/04/15/seasons-stats-and-metrics/

This is a link to Christopher Schemanske's article comparing this season and last season's regionals. It explains a lot about the T16 NA grind, and there are a lot of interesting statistics in it. Very short read, almost certainly relevant too.

Ill second @Latte1504 thats its a great read and has a ton of data. As Chris mentioned those in the t16 race are such a small minority of the playerbase that its a bit silly to cater one way or the other to that group of players significantly

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Should Pokemon add top 64 cash to regionals when attendance hits 800?

No. Every dollar they put into anything means there's a dollar taken away from something else. Organized play was never really given 'more' money over the years from what I recall reading on the OP forums years ago, they just move it around. With all this effort being spent on tournaments and trying to be an eSport everything left over for organized play outside of tournaments seems like grizzle and bones being left for the plebs after the hungry dogs of competitive play have eaten all the meat. Masters alone for 64 players would be $16,000, and that could be spent something else.

Last edited:

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
At madison they brought it back this year. If they get a certain amount of players. Any one that makes day 2 gets cash prize