General Neko's Moth-Watching Thread

Hey nekoban, I saw a moth named the Paonias Excaecata at school during recess. It was pretty cool, but whenever somebody touched it, it wouldn't react at all, but it was alive. Weirder, the legs were like glued to the tree, it never fell off. Moths are kewl!
That's the Blinded Sphinx Moth. If its hind wings were exposed, you would've been treated to a pair of usually-hidden eye spots.

It was probably asleep (some moths are REALLY good sleepers) or just really didn't want to get up. The reason it seemed "glued" to the tree is because moths and other insects have bristles on their legs that allow them to cling onto surfaces like trees and walls. Since trees have a rough texture, I imagine that it would've been able to cling tighter. I'm no expert by any means, though.

Moths FTW!

Here's a REALLY interesting caterpillar, Parasa chloris (aka Smaller Parasa), a type of "slug caterpillar."

F1oHpDS.jpg

Their adults are pretty interesting too. (I've not got any pics, but you can check them out on Google.)

UPDATE: Added the Goldenrod Stowaway to the first post. Very striking golden-orange colorization. Its wings remind be of some kind of stained wood.

Those pictures are all so pretty!
Glad ya like 'em! :D

Last edited:
Not sure if they're alive, but I found a couple of Evergreen Bagworm cocoons while on the road today and decided to bring them back home to see if either will emerge as male moths. I'm currently trying to rig a fish tank in my room so I can keep an eye on them. Unlike Mini Bagworms, these guys can be quite destructive (which may be why Pineco can learn Self-Destruct).

hYw0fMK.jpg

Last edited:
Added the Parthenice Tiger Moth to the first post. It could easily be mistaken for the Harnessed Tiger Moth, but the pattern on the Parthenice Tiger Moth is more detailed/broken-up and the hind-wings are a solid bright orange as opposed to the Harnessed Tiger Moth's orange-to-yellow gradient.

I could easily see a Fakemon line that evolved the Banded Tiger Moth into the Harnessed Tiger Moth and it into the Parthenice Tiger Moth (although it might seem weird skipping the larval stage).

Added the Pale Beauty to the first post. What makes this moth pop is its ghostly appearance. Its wings are reminiscent of clouded crystals, making me think it could be a good basis for a Bug/Rock Fakemon (with Levitate, of course).

Last edited:
This one's kind of depressing: a Black-Bordered Lemon infected with Cordyceps, a brain-controlling parasitoid fungus. Paras and Parasect are based on this strange and scary phenomenon (though with a different host insect).

KTN9onU.jpg

I also spotted another slug moth caterpillar: the Skiff Slug. What a strange world we live in!

mHFKn9p.jpg

Tussock moth caterpillars incorporate their stinging hairs into their cocoons to keep predators at bay while they pupate. The moth has already left this one it seems, but I thought it would be worth sharing anyway. EDIT: Replaced with photo of a caterpillar still inside the cocoon.

kLzefNg.jpg

Have you guys stumbled upon any new moths lately?

EDIT: Found a Monkey Slug (aka Hag Moth Caterpillar) as well

iFijUOH.jpg

Last edited:
It's been far too long since I've spotted any cool moths, but I just found a Large Tolype Moth outside the front door!

jbOZcQY.jpg

I'll take a cat-size one, please!

I also spotted a Giant Leopard Moth caterpillar the other day, though it wasn't until after it went away that I found out what it was else I would've tried catching it to pupate. (Those spiny hairs are tough but non-toxic.)

EAjsOlo.jpg

Last edited:
This is nothing short of amazing. I have moths all over my front porch and I've only seen like 2 or 3 of these moths in my lifetime. Keep up the good work!

Not super fuzzy or colorful, but I kind of like the pattern and dusty palette of the Brown-Shaded Gray. It kind of reminds me of primitive/tribal art.

rIiDN4L.jpg

I think it was about a month ago that I took the pic, but it wasn't until today that I got a confirmation on the ID. I haven't seen too many moths since.

This is nothing short of amazing. I have moths all over my front porch and I've only seen like 2 or 3 of these moths in my lifetime. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! You ought to take a closer look at those moths sometime. Most of these have probably been visiting here for ages, but I didn't start noticing most of them until recent years. You might spot a real beauty (and I hope you share if you do)!

Last edited:
First moth shot of the year! I actually thought it was a butterfly until I got a good look at its antenna.

oA7z2W6.jpg

jeNyhjK.jpg

It's a Grapevine Epimenis, a small daytime moth whose larvae feed on grape leaves.

I wanted to take some better pics, but the violent wind wouldn't let me. Dx

- - -

Did I ever mention that I finally got my full-odds Shiny Mothim? After nearly a year of trying, I finally headbutted a male Shiny Burmy in HGSS this past January. Now he's a Mothim and part of my main team on UltraSun!

EJa0QLE.jpg
hviJfOm.jpg

Last edited:
I love bagworms

250px-412Burmy-Plant.png
They're such neat little things! I've yet to see an active bagworm IRL (I've just seen their cases), but I've read and watched videos about them. I'll try to keep my eyes open for one this year now that I know they hang around.

The luna moth is so pretty! I like moths a lot too. My favorite is the Luna.
The Luna Moth would probably be my favorite as well if I hadn't known about them since I was little. It sort of lessens the impact somehow. I still love seeing them, though.

Last edited:
Gee, I just thought that moths were these small hairy brown things.
But these...are beautiful.
You have given me the second view of the beautiful things moths are, and eased by moth fear.

Not a new one, but I spotted my favorite moth again for the first time this year! This one's a female rosy maple moth, as evidenced by its thin antennae and exposed pheromone gland (seen in the first pic). Males have bushier, feathery antennae for detecting these pheromones.

Moth trivia: Both moths and butterflies are lepidopterans, but you can distinguish them from one another by looking at their antennae. If there's a knob/club or hook at the tip, it's a butterfly! If the antennae are feathery (combed) or come to a point, it's a moth! The difference has nothing to do with size, coloring, mouth parts, or sleep schedule (though it's true that most moths are nocturnal and most butterflies are diurnal).

fhN0oIw.jpg

QRCaku5.jpg

Speaking of rosy maple moths, I decided to change the Shiny palette of my rosy maple moth Fakemon, Aromoth. Some individuals have a more purplish coloring and some, unofficially called "light forms," are practically white, so I tried to reflect these in the new version. I'm not sure if I prefer it aesthetically over the former, but it makes more sense scientifically. EDIT: Changed Piwirm's Shiny as well (based on young green-striped mapleworms, when they're still a pale yellow-green and have black faces).

rosy_maple_moth_fakemon_line_by_icycatelf-db88vvn.jpg

Gee, I just thought that moths were these small hairy brown things.
But these...are beautiful.
You have given me the second view of the beautiful things moths are, and eased by moth fear.
Moths are such misunderstood animals. Spread the moth love!

Last edited:
New moth, The Bad-Wing:

4AVR7Os.jpg

No, it's not bad at flying. This small, green-hued moth apparently gets its name from the difficulty of positioning its hind-wings for pinning. Poor thing! I'd rather photograph moths than pin them. :(

Back