Ruling Blastoise Deluge

Jimmy315

Aspiring Trainer
Hello Everyone,

I'm having a hard time understanding "as often as you like" properly.

Let's say I have 3 pokemon in play: X,Y and Blatoise, and I have 6 water energies. If I do "Deluge", can I attach as many as I want to pokemon X and as many as I want to Y? Or can I attach as many as I want to only ONE of those pokemon?

http://assets21.pokemon.com/assets/cms2/img/cards/web/BW7/BW7_EN_31.png

Same question with Aromatisse. Let's say my active pokemon X has 5 fairy energies attached to it, and I have 3 benched pokemon along with Aromatisse. Can I use her ability to distribute those 5 energies among the benched pokemon in anyway I like? Or do I get to only move them to ONE of those pokemon? Also, once I preform that move, can I move them back to the active pokemon with that ability again?

http://assets15.pokemon.com/assets/cms2/img/cards/web/XY1/XY1_EN_93.png

So the chain of events that occurs when you use an Ability (that can be used) is like this:

1. Announce the ability
2. DO IT
3. Ability usage has been fully resolved

Many cards would be broken if you could just use the abilities infinite times per turn, so the limiting phrase "once during your turn" is added to tell the player how many times per turn the ability can be used.

The phrase "as often as you like" tells the player you can go back to step 1 "as often as you like". Read Deluge carefully. It doesn't just let you rain energies down:

1. Announce Deluge
2. Attach water
3. Ability usage has been fully resolved

Since you can use Deluge as often as you like during the turn, and announcing the power is tiresome, many players will simply skip announcing Deluge like 80 times a turn unless there are actions between attachments. In tournaments, you will want to get in the habit of announcing how many uses of Deluge you're going to do if you don't want to announce it every time, because if you silently attach an energy your opponent can argue that was your free attachment for the turn.

So what you're really doing is using Deluge 6 times in one turn, not one Deluge for 6 energy. This is also important to remember if there is a card in play that punishes the use of an Ability, because every use of Deluge would trigger it.

Aromatisse works the same way:

1. Announce Fairy Transfer
2. Move a fairy energy from one pokemon to another pokemon
3. Ability usage has been fully resolved.

You can only move one energy at a time per usage of Fairy Transfer, but since you can use it infinity times a turn it doesn't really matter (unless, again, there is a card in play that punishes Ability usage).

The only thing is that after you attack, your turn is over. You can't use Abilities at the end of your turn unless they specifically say you can. Fairy Transfer doesn't, so once you attack, you'll have to wait until your next turn to move the Energy around again.

Back