• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Black Night (Zoroark / Umbreon / Yveltal / Spiritomb)

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
BLACK NIGHT

2571-Shiny-Zoroark.png

Pokémon (20):
  • 2 Umbreon SM8 (beatdown)
  • 2 Eevee SM1M (evolution)
  • 4 Spiritomb SM8 (discard)
  • 4 Zoroark SM8 (beatdown)
  • 4 Zorua SM3+ (evolution)
  • 4 Yveltal SM8 (beatdown)
Trainer (29):
  • 3 Sightseer (draw)
  • 3 Guzma (control)
  • 4 Cynthia (draw)
  • 3 Lillie (draw)
  • 2 Rescue Stretcher (retrieval)
  • 1 Dangerous Drill (discard)
  • 3 Exp. Share (maintain)
  • 4 Ultra Ball (search)
  • 2 Nest Ball (search)
  • 1 Black Market Prism (enable)
  • 3 Devoured Field (beatdown)
Energy (11):
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 7 Darkness Energy

STRATEGY:

Start with either Spiritomb or Yveltal. On the first turn search out Spiritomb and use Soul Compressor to discard the remaining Spiritomb and one Yveltal from the deck. Bench at least one Zorua and one Eevee. Attach Exp. Share to Zorua to conserve the resources on the battlefield when Spiritomb is knocked out next turn. On the next turn attack with Umbreon. Once Umbreon is defeated take over with Zoroark and start to stream Night Punish attacks.

SPOILER:

Zoroark
Stage 1 Darkness Pokémon – evolves from Zorua
HP: 110
[D] Taunt:
Switch 1 of your opponent’s benched Pokémon with their active Pokémon.
[D][C][C] Night Punish: 20x
This attack does 20 damage times the number of Pokemon in your discard pile, to a maximum of 10 cards.
Retreat Cost: CC
Weakness: F
Resistance: P

Umbreon
Stage 1 Darkness Pokémon
[D] Retaliate: 30+
If 1 of your Pokémon was knocked out by damage from an opponent’s attack during your opponent’s last turn, this attack does 90 more damage.
[D][C] Dark Cutter: 60
Retreat Cost: C
Weakness: F
Resistance: P

Yveltal
Basic Darkness Pokémon
[D] Derail: 30
Discard a special energy from your opponent’s active Pokémon.
[D][D] Clutch: 60
Your opponent’s active Pokémon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.
Retreat Cost: 0
Weakness: L
Resistance: F

Spiritomb
Basic Darkness Pokémon
HP: 70
[C] Soul Compressor
Search your deck for up to 4 Pokémon and discard them. Then, shuffle your deck.
[C] Hollow Shot: 20
Retreat Cost: C

Dangerous Drill
Trainer - Item
You can only play this card if you discard a [D] Pokémon from your hand.
Discard a Pokemon Tool or Special Energy card from 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon in play, or discard any Stadium card in play.

Black Market Prism
Trainer - Stadium
Whenever either player’s [D] Pokémon with [D] energy attached to it is knocked out by damage from an opponent’s attack, the opponent takes 1 less prize card.
As long as this stadium is in play, whenever a player uses an item or supporter card from their hand, prevent all effects of those cards done to this stadium.

Last edited:
Hi pikachuuuu101,

Thanks for the review. Shrine of Punishment is indeed a consideration. However the local meta is divided into Pokémon GX decks and almost pure Pokémon non-GX deck. The former on usual have three to six Pokémon GX in total while the latter run a total of zero to one Pokémon GX on usual. Have a look at the decks that dominated in the last tournament in Japan. The number of Pokémon GX in these decks is limited. For that reason I decided to use Devoured Field at the moment. However if Pokémon GX are more common Shrine of Punishment is indeed the better option. The recent shift in the meta reminds me a lot of the situation we have seen in the XY-era when Night March and Vespiquen become more popular. Lost March and Night Punish seem to be the SM-on format equivalents to these decks but SM-on offers more choices once Lost Thunder is released outside of Japan.

I really want to try this deck out. It looks really fun and should be easy to get the Pokémon in the discard pile

Have you considered using a 4-4 magcardo line, and basing your draw engine around that? It works well for finding a combo of cards each and every turn, while also being pokemon so being able to be discarded to help the engine. you could also run a 2-2 weavile line, as the 1 shot potential of this deck would go up, and even if you dont need them you could just chuck them for zoro.

i would do 2 zoroark and 2 zoroark gx just for those extra draws every turn. it would also help with discarding pokemon

Hi Audiofreak19,

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to test this deck too as soon as the new set is released.

Hi pikachuuuu101,

Thanks for the review. Did not consider Magcargo non-GX thus far. The main benefit of it would be that it can search out Black Market Prism. Anything else should be rather easy to get hold of since the deck can essentially play down its hand rather well and Eevee searches out Umbreon with a Darkness energy attachment. I like the idea to be able to search out the Prism Star stadium but Magcargo is a non-Darkness Pokémon that can be defeated instead of any of the Darkness Pokémon in play that would not give up a prize card. I may consider a 1-1 line but I am not sure about it at the monent.

Hi XCITE,

Thanks for the review. Will consider it but I would prefer to keep this a non-GX deck if possible to ensure better prize trades. The deck in essence is intended to work like a slightly slower but more powerful version of Vespiquen and I believe that it requires that I get the benefit of Black Market Prism for one of the Pokémon to get ahead in the prize trade and catch up with faster decks.

Back