Discussion Better Ray-GX variant?

crispierdna

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all, I'm really looking forward to Rayquaza GX and have been experimenting around with it in my free time. I've toyed with two separate ideas that I think are both pretty viable, but I want to know what the community's opinion on them are.

First, I was thinking about the pretty standard lineup that I've seen discussed of Ray GX with Vikavolt. With Volkner now I think this list is pretty consistent, the trouble is running the stage 2. The big advantage of Vikavolt is that it's a constant source of 60 more damage per turn and lets you get any Ray set up the turn it hits the bench.

The other list I was playing Ray GX with Xurkitree GX and possibly a baby Pheromosa, which opens up the option of both making use of opponents' Ultra Space as well as using Beast Ring for energy acceleration. Xurkitree GX also gives the deck a bit of stall against anything playing Beast Energy or DCE. The obvious advantage to this is no setup required. The disadvantages are the opportunity to set up is small and limited to my ability to find Beast Ring, as well as difficulty setting up another Ray when one gets KO'ed.

Which variant will be better in theory going forward? Let me know what you think!

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Vikavolt, no question. The ability to get 60 more damage plus energy acceleration is too good to pass up.

savarin

Aspiring Trainer
I'm thinking of a version with vikavolt and with sceptile from SM7. Sceptile has basicly the same attack as rayquaza and has an ability that prevent damage from ultra beasts

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
I'm thinking of a version with vikavolt and with sceptile from SM7. Sceptile has basicly the same attack as rayquaza and has an ability that prevent damage from ultra beasts

Two stage 2 pokemon in one deck? That sounds like a recipe for a bricked hand.