Discussion Battle Mechanics: What Should be Changed?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Hello all, I have been thinking a lot recently about the Pokemon battle mechanics. Specifically, the mechanics that are not related to the Pokemon itself (like natures, Iv's moves abilities etc.), but the things surrounding the two Pokemon that are fighting or the trainers. Pokemon has changed a few nice things in the battle, such as letting you press Y to quickly throw a Pokeball, or showing you the stat changes on the button screen, so why not talking about what else can be changed or added? So here are some little touch ups ideas that can really improve the game experience when you play in a main Pokemon game to make your life easier, and also the game enjoyable and interesting. Share your thoughts and your own ideas :)

Auto play- Whenever you come across a wild Pokemon or a trainer- a little button named "auto play" can be pressed in order to make the battle goes automatic- with you being just like the computer. The idea came to me from the app game Duel Links where the option is available whenever you just want to gain the exp. This is very necessary in Pokemon. One major element in the game is to level up your Pokemon. I don't see how it can hurt that instead of killing your thumb by pressing A, you could simply click Auto Play every time you encounter a wild Pokemon when you just want the exp. It's not a faster way, it's simply a more convenient way for grinding. Auto play function can be disabled when battling important characters like your rival or gym leaders (and of course, in Wifi battles).

"Pick a Pokemon to send first"- It's so simple, yet its implications on the game are amazing in my opinion. Before each battle, instead of automatically sending your first Pokemon, the screen will ask you which Pokemon you want to send. It makes things a lot interesting during the story, because it encourages you to use different Pokemon in your party much more frequently. I remember how I always tend to find myself with one Pokemon (usually the starter) who is a lot stronger and in higher level than the rest of my Pokemon, making me feel like changing the first Pokemon from time to time, But that is just such a hassle. Why not just give us the option to have the option who to send first before a battle?

Non set opening Pokemon should have been implemented a long time ago, we have had it for competitive, I always found it strange that we haven't had it otherwise added to regular game play. I also think auto fights would be a good one, as well as some kind of system such as becoming the champion stopping those random trainers on like route 12 from randomly challenging you with their 2 Pokemon when you should be a world renown figure, full team of op mons. Always find that annoying when you are back tracking late game.
Auto play would be cool, but I can remember the hype people had for XY when we saw Pokemon in the grass, and some people thought it would be the end of random encounters. Not quite what you are talking about, but I would be pro implementing less random encounters that just become tedious in some areas. Auto resolve combat would be a step towards that, but I still think more directed battles would be better gameplay wise

The auto fight option can work; it kind of reminds me of speedrunning tactics, or the Battle Palace from Emerald's Battle Frontier. It would speed up the grinding process (hopefully), with the Battle Animations turned off.

I also kind of like the second idea of showing a Pokemon to send out. I mean if you're facing an in-game Trainer who has over 3 Pokemon; this is a very good idea. It almost makes in-game battles against NPCs feel like Wi-Fi Battles. After you see the Pokemon of the NPC you're planning to battle, we should get the Ability to decline the battle; or be able to switch the team up and then accept the challenge.

I like the idea of being allowed to manually pick what to send into battle when the battle begins, rather than it just being the first thing in your party. I mean, I'm not gonna look at an opponent and go, "Oh, OK, so they're leading with an Ivysaur, which is part Grass, so the logical thing to do would be to use Woobat here, but, duh, I'm gonna go with Palpitoad because it's at the front of the party, and I'll waste a turn switching it out for Woobat!"

Also, I'd kinda like it if... team preview was axed altogether. I don't feel like it's necessary when all is said and done. Also, it'll make Zoroark a lot scarier because now you'll REALLY never see it coming.

Oh, and Gen I Hyper Beam mechanics. I liked the lack of a recharge turn if it KO'd the target. This is the sort of thing that would make Hyper Beam and its variants much more useful competitively. I don't see it as broken, either, especially considering all the ways opponents can endure attacks now- Focus Sash, Endure, Sturdy, that sort of thing. I'd like to see this make a comeback.

Auto battle would not work as it would either make fights way to easy or potentially it would select the same option like 10 times and it would be like a stat lowering skill.
The Pokemon you send out first is up to you you just gotta do it b4 the fights start and if every battle signalled a menu based selection screen it would just increase the time it takes to get in and out of battle

Auto battle would not work as it would either make fights way to easy or potentially it would select the same option like 10 times and it would be like a stat lowering skill.
The Pokemon you send out first is up to you you just gotta do it b4 the fights start and if every battle signalled a menu based selection screen it would just increase the time it takes to get in and out of battle

I disagree. Auto battle is not stupid. My example from Duel Links is very solid- the auto play does smart choices and uses different strategies against different opponents. Besides, you can simply see how the AI is doing in battle tree. Not bad right? it's the same mechanic for auto play. And yeah, it will be easy- that's the point. If you are referring to how it would make the battle less challenging then that's not true at all, since there is no difference in grinding for level 50 by pressing A 1000 times and pressing "autoplay" one time. Only different is that it saves time. And I already said that option can be disabled when facing gym leaders/rivals/online players. :)

Of course I can click X->Pokemon->Y button->switch Pokemon A with Pokemon B every single time I face an opponent. But that's just a hassle. Instead- for those who want it- why not giving the option to set a mode where every time they come across an opponent, the first screen will show your party- you click A on the Pokemon you want, and the battle starts- simple as that. It increases time by one second, maybe, and it's optional. You waste much more time in manually changing the first Pokemon in your party.

I disagree. Auto battle is not stupid. My example from Duel Links is very solid- the auto play does smart choices and uses different strategies against different opponents. Besides, you can simply see how the AI is doing in battle tree. Not bad right? it's the same mechanic for auto play. And yeah, it will be easy- that's the point. If you are referring to how it would make the battle less challenging then that's not true at all, since there is no difference in grinding for level 50 by pressing A 1000 times and pressing "autoplay" one time. Only different is that it saves time. And I already said that option can be disabled when facing gym leaders/rivals/online players. :)

Of course I can click X->Pokemon->Y button->switch Pokemon A with Pokemon B every single time I face an opponent. But that's just a hassle. Instead- for those who want it- why not giving the option to set a mode where every time they come across an opponent, the first screen will show your party- you click A on the Pokemon you want, and the battle starts- simple as that. It increases time by one second, maybe, and it's optional. You waste much more time in manually changing the first Pokemon in your party.
First thing:sounds like you don't want to play the game. If auto battle has to much of a benefit your going to always use it and if it's disabled during important battles then most of the time you won't be able to use it when it matters because that's actual the best way to grind is through the e4 and other high level repeatable trainer battles. If you look at auto battle in most rpgs it either picks a solid 'attack' option or you can save the option you pick until you decide to switch. Simply put that wouldn't work in most cases due to the multitude of possibilities that can happen between encounter to encounter. And as mentioned if the auto battle function chooses everything for you the correct option that's also bad as players won't learn that way. The way the attacks tell you whether it's super effective or otherwise was also a terrible idea and I guarantee it has lead to less skilled players who started this gen.
As for the Pokemon switching mechanic I agree if it was fast and efficient it would work but I'm betting it won't be.
Again there options could be something you could switch on and off and leave it up to the player but who knows they didnt make the move selection help optional

Auto play would make grinding in the wild much easier than going to the Elite four. It also serves a great tool when you EV train. Battling wild Pokémon to gain EV is not the battle experience you normally want, and so that is not hurting the game experience. I do agree that it offers more help for experienced competitive players and kinda hurts the in game experience for those who want the challenge, similar to the EXP share function.

Back