Discussion "Basic" Sloppiness or not?

PrimePokeDaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
There may be a simple explanation, or precedent, or a that's just how it is done. Since I'm a new player I tend to notice some things only after making an AWESOME play, only to find out from my opponent that it doesn't work that way. For example, I tried to play a fun Alolan Exeggutor (ULP) deck, and used a counter energy expecting to get 6 coin flips, only to be shown that Venusaur only doubles "basic [G] energy".

Since then I've noticed the "basic" versus "special" designation. But I've also noticed that sometimes when the cards mention specific types of energy, the card may say "basic [_] energy" or it may just say "[_] energy". Does this make any difference? It seems like these cards are always played as if it only means "basic" [_] energy.

The best examples I have are Dark Patch v. Aqua Patch since they do almost exactly the same thing.

Dark Patch says "basic": "Attach a basic [D] Energy card from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched [D] Pokemon."
Aqua Patch does not: "Attach a [W] Energy card from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched [W] Pokemon."

My lawyer hat says that the different language should mean something different. I'm thinking "Are there non-basic [W] Energy cards that could be retreived?" But no one ever retrieves Splash Energy.

Then I looked at Volkner to replace Skyla after rotation, and it also omits the "basic" from [L] energy.

My question is why can't Volkner then pull a Unit Energy [L][P][M]?

My argument for is that Unit Energy [L][P][M] is an energy card with [L] right in the name, it can provide [L] energy, and Volkner doesn't limit itself to "basic" [L] energy.

My argument against is that the card text says it provides [C] energy, and provides [L], [P], or [M] energy while attached to a pokemon.

Does the omission of "basic" have any relevance?

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
You said the reason why it doesn't work. "the card text says it provides [C] energy, and provides [L], [P], or [M] energy while attached to a pokemon"

All the special energy you mention work the same way. They are colorless energy until they are attached to a pokemon. So they aren't a water energy while in the discard pile and they aren't a lighting energy while in the deck so on and so forth

PrimePokeDaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Thanks, so now my question is has the distinction in language (saying "basic [L] Energy" v. just "[L] energy") ever mattered for cards allowing you to get energy from your deck or discard? Did they maybe stop saying "basic [_] energy" and just shorten it to save ink in the SM series since it never matters? I want it to matter, dangit! :)

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks, so now my question is has the distinction in language (saying "basic [L] Energy" v. just "[L] energy") ever mattered for cards allowing you to get energy from your deck or discard? Did they maybe stop saying "basic [_] energy" and just shorten it to save ink in the SM series since it never matters? I want it to matter, dangit! :)
This isn't new. Look at Volcanion EX as Steam Up also doesn't specify "Basic R Energy"

This is how it's worked for a while

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The reason cards don't specify between basic and Special is because they don't have to. As was mentioned before, Special Energy don't provide colored Energy while they are in the deck or discard pile. You can't Steam Up with Burning Energy because it doesn't count as Fire Energy while it's in your hand, you can't Aqua Patch Splash Energy because it doesn't provide Water while in your discard pile, etc.

The reason Dark Patch specifies basic Energy could be either outdated wording -or- specifying in case of older formats where Special Darkness Energy is a thing.

PrimePokeDaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Thank you @PMJ

specifying in case of older formats where Special Darkness Energy is a thing.

That is what I was thinking. I will hold out hope that some special [L] energy will come that means you can get something more than basic [L] energy. And I guess Volkner would be broken instead of "meh" if you could use it to pull a Unit Energy [L][P][M] plus an item in a Malamar/Ultra Necrozma GX deck.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Thank you @PMJ

That is what I was thinking. I will hold out hope that some special [L] energy will come that means you can get something more than basic [L] energy. And I guess Volkner would be broken instead of "meh" if you could use it to pull a Unit Energy [L][P][M] plus an item in a Malamar/Ultra Necrozma GX deck.

Don't hold your breath; while it has been "this way" for a while, things get sketchy with older cards, like Dark Electrode (EX - Team Rocket Returns 4/109). Its Poké-Power "Darkness Navigation" reads:

Once during your turn (before your attack), if Dark Electrode has no Energy attached to it, you may search your deck for a [D] or Dark Metal Energy and attach it to Dark Electrode. Shuffle your deck afterward. This power can’t be used if Dark Electrode is affected by a Special Condition.​

At the time this card released there were no basic Darkness Energy cards. All that was available was a Special Energy card named "Darkness Energy", which counted as [D] the entire time, and a Special Energy named "Dark Metal Energy".

PrimePokeDaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
@Otaku, awesome explanation! That seems like a good reason why Dark Patch has the "basic" language and Aqua Patch and the other energy search/retrieval cards with specific types don't.

PrimePokeDaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Just went and looked at that Darkness Energy Special Energy Card, it even specifies "(Doesn't count as a basic Energy card.)" Thanks for the explanations, and the history lesson.