News August's English TCG Set: 'Burning Shadows'

So @peer can't use Marshadow's GX attack? :( Poor Peer, one day they'll make an attack just for you.

On the bright side though, Marshadow GX is gonna be pretty cool in Expanded using the AOR Eeveelutions and some good attackers when rotation hits. Heck, even for now it may see some use!

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a derp.

Last edited:
What a terrible name. What will they change 'god-damn punch' into? Gosh-diddily darn tickle?
Time for the "no-fun-allowed" options:

Infernal Punch (this is most likely)
Inferno Punch
Forsaken Punch
Malevolent Punch
Demon's Punch/Demonic Punch (if TPCi is feeling brave, since they already use the word "demon" in Wishiwashi's lore and Dex entry)
Burning [name of actual punching move used by heel wrestlers]
Godslayer Punch
Damnation Punch (if they're like "screw it, they used that word in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame so no need to be squeamish")

Last edited:
Okay I don't think you realize how bad Toxapex GX is. It takes 3 Psychic energy first of all. How do expect to set it up and quickly and be able to set up more of them instantly after it gets KO'd? It being a stage one doesn't help. With virbank and four seviper out, it's only doing 170 for 3 psychic energy and we have no psychic energy acceleration. That's absolutely garbage terrible horrible. And since you're playing in expanded to use virbank, archeops will destroy, vileplume and toad will destroy you by getting rid of your items making it extremely hard to get all of your sevipers out, and you'll get outsped by everything else.

And what's your point when you say bewear will be the milling card of burning shadows? Like, okay? And Hau will be the Cheren/Tierno of the set. And zygarde will be the garbage vanilla attacker with no good acceleration. Etc. Not sure what your point is.

I'm just trying to explain to you guys why Seviper is bad and you shouldn't get your hopes up for it for any reason.

The ability itself isn't bad. It's because we don't have viable, fast, and cheap poison options. Salazzle is a stage 1 and Toxapex requires three energy (which Shining Mew could fix) and poison barb is so conditional. I'm sure Seviper will see play in expanded. Probably with toad. Sure you could use sun and moon Toxapex in conjunction but the only decks that I really think that retreat are Alolan Ninetales, Aquabox, Solgaleo, and as a card non GX Tapu Koko/free retreaters. We do need better psychic acceleration. The only way it could work is if you Shining Mew t2 on your turn 1.

My thoughts on Seviper...

The deal with the standard format right now is that special conditions just aren't viable enough, as there are too many outs to recovering from them. Maneuverability upon the active spot is so prized in this meta, all thanks to the notorious Deciduplume strategy of using Lysandre to trap the active spot.

Even when Vileplume rotates, we'll still have plenty of ways to escape the active spot with ease, such as Float Stone, Escape Rope, Free retreaters, Zoroark, Solgaleo-GX, and the new Guzma card as well. Ariados rotating does not help either, and there are plenty of healing and prevention cards still around, such as Comfey, Magearna-EX, Ability lock, Pokemon Center Lady, Bent Spoon, Chaos Tower, and so on.

In such, there are too many 'outs' in special conditions for any deck primarily based on inflicting them to be viable right now. Perhaps the only deck that can utilize them decently in standard would be Espeon-GX/Garbodor - but that's only because the setup of using Psybeam for early game pressure is ridiculously cheap and effortless to perform!

Now, back to Seviper: All I see at the moment is a 1-prize Regirock-EX, only for increasing poison attacks. Players can easily get rid of poison right now, so the ability is just +10 damage and that's it. So far, it could use a big basic attacker that can simply hit for 20 damage with one meager energy and auto-inflict poison. If this happens, we have a neat strategy: add a choice band, 4 benched Seviper, and you inflict 100 damage. Sure, 50 extra damage could appear if it lingers, but unfortunately, like I said: We have too many ways to nullify special conditions.

I am going.

To stab.

ALL OF YOU.
That would explain why you're... Peerless.

Everyone seems so salty about Marshadow's GX attack, but no one thinks that "Raging Out" is a dumb name? Okay then.

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Marshadow.

Peerless Hundred Blows? I guess they needed something better than, I really don't know?

(Insert combination of an adjective, number, and noun)

HGSS4_EN_26.png

Or just copy the attack name from this Machamp that nobody even remembered.

And also? Mill Charizard? If you want to introduce so many different Charizards, at least make them viable in some way. I don't see this being used even in mill decks, when you could use, Sylveon GX? I know Sylveon doesn't mill cards, but Charizard doesn't do it very well. You're better of using anything else.

And also? Mill Charizard? If you want to introduce so many different Charizards, at least make them viable in some way. I don't see this being used even in mill decks, when you could use, Sylveon GX? I know Sylveon doesn't mill cards, but Charizard doesn't do it very well. You're better of using anything else.

Charizard is supposed to be a fanservice card.

It deals ridiculous amounts of damage and mills ridiculous amounts of cards, but they don't want it to be overpowered, so it just has ridiculous costs.

Let me see if I can describe the action behind Marshadow's GX attack.
So, first he channels the inner power of the Diaphragm, and blows on his peers one hundred times, until his peers leave him, and thus Marshadow becomes peerless.
Peerless? Check
Hundred? Check
Blowing? Check
Yep. Marshadow ends up extremely lonely and peerless because he blew on his friends 100 times.
Stay tuned for Gumshoe Chance GX, after this message from our sponsor.

Bewear might be fun at prerelease since the deck is 40 cards. If you can land heads, your opponent might be in a pinch. Any idea of cards in Burning Shadows that would pair well with Bewear? (I need to do my research too)
It would be crazy but charizard GX would be over kill goodness

With the start of the GX era, you're gonna have a bunch of old time pokemon TCG fans look at the new cards and think "Man, I know I have Gardevoir and Gardevoir EX, but I don't have gardevoir GX yet! I should buy a bunch of that!"

It just makes sense for them to print a ton of fanservicy GX's as quickly as possible since they're going to "have to" print them eventually.

But we have gotten way too many Mewtwo EX's.

Okay I don't think you realize how bad Toxapex GX is. It takes 3 Psychic energy first of all. How do expect to set it up and quickly and be able to set up more of them instantly after it gets KO'd? It being a stage one doesn't help. With virbank and four seviper out, it's only doing 170 for 3 psychic energy and we have no psychic energy acceleration. That's absolutely garbage terrible horrible. And since you're playing in expanded to use virbank, archeops will destroy, vileplume and toad will destroy you by getting rid of your items making it extremely hard to get all of your sevipers out, and you'll get outsped by everything else.

And what's your point when you say bewear will be the milling card of burning shadows? Like, okay? And Hau will be the Cheren/Tierno of the set. And zygarde will be the garbage vanilla attacker with no good acceleration. Etc. Not sure what your point is.

I'm just trying to explain to you guys why Seviper is bad and you shouldn't get your hopes up for it for any reason.
I don't really see how what you said makes Seviper bad, sure he doesn't help Toxapex much, but that's just because Toxapex is to slow, but if any cards that provide poison come out then seviper could come in handy. Sure, right now he isn't likely to see much play, but he could see play in the future, he at least has some amount of potential. And in expanded I'm sure he could see at least a little play as maybe a one-of, being used in conjunction with Hypno-toxic laser.

Back