Writing Athena Plays Golden Sun - Finished!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
WOyyzur.png

Greetings, and welcome to my next playthrough! This time we will be tackling the JRPG Golden Sun, an oldie but goodie from the GBA era. I've played this game (and it's sequel) a number of times, though it's been a while so I'm looking forward to playing it again. :D

As usual for my playthroughs, you need no knowledge of the game or its series in order to read and understand the playthrough. Mechanical basics will be explained below for those who wish to take part in choices and nominations, otherwise sick back, read along, and enjoy my interpretation of one of my favourite JRPGs.

Sooo.... what's a Golden Sun?

It seems that not a lot of people here are familiar with this game! I find this kind of shocking since it's pretty popular in a lot of video game circles that I've been a part of, and even people who haven't played it are at least familiar with it. So, here's a bit of a summary on the basics of this game and what makes it unique. Spoiler tag'd so that the OP doesn't get super long.

Golden Sun is the first game of the Golden Sun series. The first 2 games were released on the GBA in 2001-2003, with a 3rd game released for the DS in 2010 after a long wait.

The series is, in many ways, typical of the Japanese RPG (JRPG) genre, like other popular games including the Final Fantasy series. You have a team of people you travel around with, and each of them fit into different roles, as fighters, mages, or healers. There are dungeons, there are wandering monsters you fight, there's an overworld, a magic system, bosses with thousands of HP, etc. Chances are, if you've played a JRPG, you kind of know what I'm getting at.

However, there are certainly some unique things that make Golden Sun unique and awesome, and here is a quick glance at some of them:

Psynergy is the main "magic" system of GS, though in the plot it's treated more like psychic abilities than traditional magic. There are 4 main elements: Venus (Earth), Mars (Fire), Jupiter (Wind), and Mercury (Water). A person that has the talent to use Psynergy is called an "(Element) Adept" depending on which element they have a natural talent in. Psynergy is used both in battle to defeat enemies and out of battle to achieve various effects. For example, the ability "Douse" can be used in battle as a low-level Mercury-based attack on multiple enemies, or it can be used in the field to rain over a small area and cause a puddle of water to collect, which is used in some puzzles. Psynergy points (or PP) are a bit more freely given in GS than is typical for most JRPGs; they naturally restore over time and an entire party's PP can be restored with a single Psynergy Stone outside of battle.

The Djinn are another unique mechanic to Golden Sun. Djinn are small creatures (like the ones in the banner at the top) that are each naturally aligned to a certain element. They are assigned to characters in your party and can be used in battle or to raise a character's stats and even change their class. For more information about Djinn relating to class changes, please see the separate section below under the "Interactions" heading.

When a Djinni is "set" to a character, it raises their stats and gives that character the ability to use that particular Djinni in battle. Each Djinni has its own, unique in battle use that is somehow aligned to it's type, so, for example, a Venus Djinni that attacks would attack with Earth magic. Once a Djinni is used in battle, it is no longer "set" and is instead in "standby" mode. The character no longer gets the corresponding stat benefits while Djinn are in "standby", but "standby" Djinn can be summoned, either individually or in groups, to perform powerful attacks called Summons. Once Djinn have been released in a summon, they go into "recovery" mode and then will then automatically re-"set" themselves to their given character. So, Djinn provide an interesting combat strategy in addition to their use for class changing and stat-giving.

The GS games are also rather puzzley compared to a typical JRPG. The game's major and minor dungeons are full of puzzles to complete, and usually those puzzles require the use of Psynergy. It provides a nice element to the game aside from battling and makes each dungeon or other location more interesting and fun to explore.

The last thing I have to touch on is definitely the plot. One of the main reasons I love this game is its story, particularly the second game of the series and how it relates to the first. There is a lot of deep world building and very interesting scenarios that put a unique spin on a plot that may, at first, seem to be almost stereotypical. Of course, this all mostly comes to a head in the second game, but I do plan on continuing on and playing that one, too, so long as you guys are interested in reading it that is. :3

As for what the Golden Sun itself actually is? Well, read along and you'll find out as the game progresses. :)

Member Nominations for Party Members & NPCs

All roles have now been decided! If you're familiar with the game and have any further suggestions for other characters, feel free to comment.

Isaac: Athena
Garet: Celever
Ivan: Brave Vesperia
Mia: PMJ
Saturos: bbninjas
Menardi: Keeper
Jenna: Palutena
Felix: Jabberwock
Kraden: DNA
Alex: Vom​

As typical for my playthroughs, I'd like to offer in-game roles to members. There aren't as many characters this time around, but please nominate members to act as characters that you think would fit them well! As the narrator, I will be taking the role of the lead protagonist Isaac, but all of these other characters are up for grabs:

fotur6A.png
The Main Party PCs will be the characters that appear in the game most by far. Other characters listed have important places in the plot but will not be appearing as much. Some characters will also appear in the sequel, if I decide to do a playthrough of that one later. :3

To nominate someone, please simply post in this thread with the name of the member you'd like to nominate and which character they should be! Member/Character pairings with the most votes/likes will win. If you are familiar with this game and have another NPC that you would like to nominate someone for, you're welcome to, otherwise all other characters will just have their in-game names.

Other Reader Interactions

There's one other specific part of the game that I would like reader input on and that is the assignment of Djinn. Djinn are both creatures in the game and also a game mechanic that influences each PC's class and abilities. If you're not familiar with the Golden Sun series, here's a quick explanation in spoilers:

Djinn are small creatures that live in Weyard, the world of the Golden Sun series. They are basically magical creatures and each one is of a certain element: Venus (Earth), Mars (Fire), Jupiter (Wind), and Mercury (Water). You can see examples of them in the banner on top, in the order of Jupiter, Mars, Venus, and Mercury. As the PCs travel through the lands, they will meet and tame these creatures, and each Djinni is "assigned" to a certain PC, boosting their stats and giving them access to certain powers and classes.

Each of the main PCs also matches with one of these same elements. Isaac is a Venus Adept, Garet is Mars, Ivan is Jupiter, and Mia is Mercury. Assigning the same type of Djinn to the corresponding character is generally considered the default option. It boosts those characters strengths in a way that benefits them the most and gives them access to their most powerful mono-element classes and abilities. However, that is far from the only option. You obtain many Djinn throughout the game and they are very customizable, which opens up the possibility for characters to have dual- or even triple-element classes. Some more information about the available classes, pros and cons, and strategy can be found here.

Aside from simply boosting the stats of PC's, Djinn can also be used in combat or multiple Djinn can be summoned for very powerful attacks. For the reader's purpose, though, this isn't as important as it's more about battle strategy than assigning Djinn to characters. One main thing to keep in mind is that summoning and using Djinn in battle becomes a bit trickier when you're not using mono-element classes since you have to balance things carefully to not accidentally switch yourself to a different, possibly detrimental class when you're in the middle of battle.

If there's anything here that you don't understand, you are welcome to ask!

I will be gathering all 28 Djinn throughout the course of the playthrough. Within chapters, I will assign Djinn to characters as I feel compliments their current selves best, but at the end of each chapter I will make a list of all new Djinn and open up suggestions to readers of who should get custody of that particular Djinni. Older Djinn can also be swapped around at any point in the game for balance or to make a new class customization.

I wrote up a nice guide to help Golden Sun newcomers explore the Class Tree system! Feel free to check it out in this post and suggest some classes for the playthrough. :3

Anything Else?
Not that I can think of! But feel free to ask if you have any questions, or speak up if you have any suggestions.

Chapters! \o/

Last edited:
Never played this but i'll put myself forward for saturos, since I like being the villan in stuff. Also "omega soul"sounds like a villan. Excited since this is blind for me. :)

This is blind for me too. I'm super keen to see what the story's like though n_n.

I want to nominate myself as Garet because... IDK, he seems cute :3

I'm going to Nominate myself for Ivan because mind-reading is cool and he sort of looks like me. Looking forward to this, Athena!

Have you guys really never played this before? I got it when it came out. Way to make me feel old. :p

On one hand, I kind of feel like I should give more of an overview of the game and such like I did for FE:A, but on the other it might be more fun this way. :U

Eh, I'm not really known around here much but why not....

I nominate myself for Saturos. Evil is my type of thing.

Not talking about Every Villain Is Lemons

I'll nominate myself for Kraden, Ivan, or Felix. :)

As for others, I think Fancy would make a great Alex, for a few reasons.
–Alex is related somehow to Mia, who was also the protagonist in Winds of Time, which Fancy helped write.
–Alex is part of the Mercury Clan, and Mercury is Air. Fancy is an Air-istocrat.
–Alex is clearly the fanciest character in the list. :p

I'd also like to ask the difference between Air and Wind.

Looking forward to this game!

Golden Sun is a top-tier RPG. Every one of you get out there, download Visual Boy Advance and a Golden Sun rom, and play it.

signing up for Menardi because why not

Wow what is this. And people are only nominating themselves smh.

Right then! Mass-nomination time. Courtesy of ninjas and myself.

Garet - Celever
Ivan - Brave Vesperia
Mia - PMJ
Saturos - bbninjas
Menardi - Keeper of Night
Jenna - Professor Palutena
Felix - Jabberwock
Kraden - DNA
Alex - Vom

And now I have a new game to play! Good luck Athena.

Last edited:
Alright, so, now that busy weekend is done, time to get back to this, wooo!

First thing: Since a lot of people are unfamiliar with the game, I did a little introduction thing to it in the OP. Go read!

Also, I've gone ahead and done a tally of the current nominations, which is at the bottom of this post. I'll probably leave this open for a couple more days before I start, so feel free to get your votes in! Especially if you don't just want Keeper and bb to pick everyone. :p

Also also

I'll nominate myself for Kraden, Ivan, or Felix. :)

You only get to nominate yourself for one thing, so pick one! :p As such, this part of your vote didn't count.

Anyway, here's the current tally:

Garet: Celever (4)
Ivan: TGK (1), BV (2), scattered mind (1)
Mia: PMJ (3)
Saturos: Omega Soul (1), Ayush (1), bbninjas (3)
Menardi: PMJ (1), Keeper (3)
Jenna: Palutena (2), professorlight (1)
Felix: Jabberwock (3)
Kraden: DNA (3)
Alex: Fancy (1), Vom (2)

I'll probably start up in a day or two. Kind of busy today, but we'll see.

Last edited:
You only get to nominate yourself for one thing, so pick one! :p As such, this part of your vote didn't count.

Ah, sorry. I'll go with Felix, then, since that seems to be the general consensus anyway. :)

Realizing that voting wasn't closed yet, I figured I'd type up my own list of nominations.

Garet:
@Celever
I honestly had no idea who would fit Garet best, as I can't think of any hothead who eats a lot, so I went with the most popular member for the job, Celever.
Ivan: @scattered mind
Ivan's lack of memory seems to be relevant enough for Athena to include it in the brief character description, so who better than he whose username is scattered mind? The personalities seem to fit as well; scattered mind being very knowledgeable about RMT's and the metagame in general, and Ivan being psychic and reading minds and stuff.
Mia: @PMJ
PMJ had to be in the main party, and I could see him being Mia. Case closed.
Saturos: @bbninjas & Menardi: @Keeper of Night
bbninjas and KoN basically masterminded a plot to ensure the voting result in their favor, so I think they have a right to the antagonists. :p
Jenna: @professorlight
Not entirely sure why I chose this one; professorlight just seemed to fit Jenna.
Felix: @Jabberwock
Out of the three I had originally been deciding between, bbninjas and KoN ruled that I would make a good Felix.
Kraden: @DNA
DNA's one of the best known former members of the site, and was very influential to it. PokéBeach wouldn't have been the same without him. A fitting member for the scholarly tutor, I think.
Alex: @Fancy
I gave my reasoning for this. Alex is a fancy character. Enough said.

Seems like our roles are all decided!

Isaac: Athena
Garet: Celever
Ivan: Brave Vesperia
Mia: PMJ
Saturos: bbninjas
Menardi: Keeper
Jenna: Palutena
Felix: Jabberwock
Kraden: DNA
Alex: Vom

I'll get this added into the OP and then start working on the first part. Hope you all enjoy! :)

Prologue: Ohshi- Falling Rocks

<???> Hey, Thena, wake your butt up! Come on, I'm serious here!
<Thena> Dude, that's not my name, I'm Athena, get it straight...
<???> Oh, stop your quibbling, it's a disaster!​

I slowly opened my eyes. I had been lying in bed, blissfully asleep, until mum barged into my room and woke me up. I wasn't completely sure what had her all worked up, but the room was indeed shaking all around me as if there were some terrible earthquake or storm.

<Mum> Come on, lazy ass, the Mt. Aleph boulder is going to fall! We need to get out of here before we're squashed, and I'll be damned if I carry your fat ass to safety. Move it!
<Isaac> Ooooh, cool, let's go watch it smash down all the houses. :D
<Mum> *sigh* And don't forget your cloak! It's pouring outside and I'm not going to save your life only to watch you die of pneumonia.​

I'd jumped out of bed and was already headed towards the door when mum scolded me. Rather than actually walk the two steps necessary to reach the peg hook on the wall, she instead used the Catch Psynergy to grab the cloak with the power of her mind and then flung it over to me. We both ran downstairs where my dad was waiting anxiously by the door. Together, all 3 of us went out into the storm, into our humble little town of Vale.

<Mum> Do you think they have the boulder under control, dear?
<Dad> Not for long. Both of you get over to the plaza and stay safe! I'm going to help evacuate the others.
<Mum> Oy, I want to help! Don't leave me stuck with the kid... :<
<Thena> Well, I don't particularly feel like hanging out with you either, I'll just go on my own. >_>​

As mum and dad raced to help out, I finally had control! Of course, I couldn't just rush forward and advance the plot right away, so I stopped to play around with my settings (sure enough, the stupid character limit had chopped my name into "Thena" instead of "Athena" but I guess I can deal), check my inventory (sweet, a machete!), and investigate nearby houses. I saw someone panicking and running away screaming, and then I came across Celever struggling to drag a heavy trunk through the grass.

<Thena> Celev.... WTF are you doing?
<Celev> I'm saving my precious Pokémon collection so it doesn't get ruined by the storm, of course! And why are you calling my "Celev" anyway?
<Thena> Character limits.
<Celev> Damn, oh well. You going to help me with this or not?
<Thena> *sigh* Remind me why I befriended your dumb ass again? >_>
<Celev> ... I'm going to have to leave my Pokémon stuff behind, aren't I.
<Thena> Yep.
<Celev> Fine, fine, let's go... ._.;​

Conveniently placed boulders carefully marked out the path we were allowed to take through Vale. I tried to veer towards the north to see what was going on up there, but Celev wouldn't let me, so we continued our prescribed course across the bridge and over to the west side of town. We'd barely crossed the bridge when we heard a huge crushing noise.

<???> The boulder is getting loose! We're all gonna diiiiiieeeeee~​

Celev and I stopped and looked up north where we could see a group of the town Adept's working to control the descent of a large boulder. They managed to pull it under control, but barely. We moved on, skirting into the edge of a nearby forest when boulders continued to fall and block our path. There we found a young man who was knocked out by a flying rock and raving about monsters breaking through the broken gate. He hightailed it out, and shortly after he left, Celev and I found oursleves fighting our.... first random encounter! :D

Armed with our machetes, we quickly slew the lone vermin, earning a measly 2 EXP and a couple gold pieces. There were a few more encounters, too, until we finally came across the next plot point.

<PP> Help! My brother! D: D: D:​

We looked down south to see Professor Palutena and a few other people standing on a bridge that was partially collapsed from the storm. PP's brother, Jabberwock, had fallen into the churning waters and was clinging on to a broken support pole.

<Dad> Hold on Jaber, we'll get you!
<Calav> Jaber? Really?
<Thena> Dude, I can't do anything about the character limits! It was the best way I could think to fit "Jabberwock" in there. I'm more concerned about how my parents managed to get here before we did.
<Celev> Probably snuck around us while we were fighting those evil mushrooms. >_>
<PP> We'lll be able to save him, right?
<Mum> Of course, dear.​

Right at the moment, Jaber's grip on the pole gave out and he slipped into the water.

<PP> Noooooooooooooo.... D:
<Jaber> *pops back up* loljk
<Dad> Welp, there's nothing we can do but rely on our magic powers. Anyone have any PP left?
<Adults> *shake heads sadly*
<Mum> I'll go see if I can find someone who can help. PP, you come too. You head to the plaza and I'll head north, okay?
<PP> Sure, no problem *sniff*​

As mum started to head north, she came to Celev and I standing and watching.

<Mum> Don't just stand there with your eyes goggling out of your head! Do something!
<Thena> Well, uh, what should we do? >_>
<Mum> Go help PP find someone with Psynergy left that can help Jaber out. And stay out of trouble!*flees*​

We shrugged and continued on our meandering way through the town and eventually made it to the plaza. We investigated some houses and shops, but most of the people we came across were too young or old to be of any use. At least until we got to the very front section of the town where PP was waiting. A generic villager man there had just used the giant Psynergy Stone (a huge crystal half sunk in a pond right inside Vale's gates) to restore his PP and both of them joined in with us to travel back to help Jaber together.

We had just crossed the town and were about to help him.... but we were too late. At that moment, the Adepts holding the large boulder up north failed, and it came careening down through the town, aimed right at the half-broken bridge where everyone was gathered to help Jaber. I dodged backwards to safety and when the boulder rolled past my field of view, everyone that was on the bridge or in the river.... my dad, Jaber, those other nameless adult villagers... all of them were gone.

<Everyone> Ohshi-​

It seemed like I was the only one not paralyzed by these events. My mum and PP were standing there with tears in their eyes, Celev was just dumbfounded, and the man we'd brought to help Jaber had his leg crushed by the boulder and was effectively useless. With a sigh, I headed back to the town plaza to see if I could hopefully find someone else, or maybe see my dad and the others washed further downstream. Instead, I head mysterious voices...

<bb> I guess it's just us now.
<KoN> Yeah, that little expedition to the Sol Sanctum was a bit, uh, rougher than I expected.
<bb> It's a miracle the both of us made it. >_>
<KoN> Stupid dungeon traps >.<
<bb> You must admit, though, a trap calling up a whole huge storm... that's pretty awesome.
<KoN> Oh yeah, totes. Alchemy is super sweet.
<bb> Ohwell, I guess we'll try again lat--
<Celev> Thena! Wait for me!
<Thena> facepalm.jpg​

Celev came running up from the other side of town, making my presence known to the two weirdos standing and chatting. They came over, and the male one looked at me angrily.

<bb> Dude, were you dropping some eaves on us?
<Thena> Yup.
<KoN> Well, damn son, we can't have any of that. Guess we'll have to beat the s*** out of you and teach you a lesson.
<Celev> NOW what did you get us into, Thena....? >_>​

Before I could answer, both baddies attacked. Celev and I readied our machetes, but it was pointless; they OHKOed us and left us lying on the ground....

Current Party!

Thena:
???
Celev: ???

Player Notes:

So, welcome to Golden Sun!

Technically the battle goes straight into another cutscene, but the beginning of the cutscene starts with the phrase "Three years later..." and this Prologue was already pretty long, so I thought this would be a good place to cut off. More plot than gameplay so far for sure.

Once the game actually starts in earnest, the Party section will be a pretty detailed log of our current characters and their abilities, including Class, Equips, Level, Djinn, and Psynergy, but for now, there's effectively nothing.

There's a mini-cheat when you first start up the game that lets you rename a bunch of characters (including one NPC in this game that I forgot even appeared in this game that I could have opened up nominations for, whoops >_>), so I actually do have, Thena, Celev, BV, PMJ, PP, and Jaber all actually entered. I totally forgot about the 5 character name limit until I started entering them in, but hopefully it's a bit amusing at least. Keeping in the same spirit, bb and KoN are also stuck in their "no more than 5 characters" form, though it doesn't actually affect Vom or DNA.

In any event, I hope you've enjoyed the beginning! I'll aim to get one chapter each weekday again, just like before.

*sigh* Character limits. *sigh*

Anyway, Athena, would you mind referring to Palutena as something that isn't already an acronym for Psynergy Points? It makes reading scenes with both of them rather confusing.

Unfortunately, it's too late, since the name is already programmed in, but it won't be a big deal because 1) Jenna/PP has a relatively small role in this game, and 2) since PP is just a game mechanic, it won't get mentioned very much in conversation. In fact, the actual dialogue of the game for this section refers to PP simply as "Psynergy" but I changed it because I find it funny for NPCs to talk using gameplay mechanic terms. I'll probably bring the PP/PP thing up once more to make a bad joke and that'll likely be the end of it.

ayyyy PMJ avoiding the five-character limit like a boss

I love this game, tempted to play it again if I wanted to spend a lot of hours on it

No cartridge? No problem! Download Visual Boy Advance today! If you don't, [insert hugely offensive insult here].

Back