General Are Humans More Creative, or Destructive?

TheControlPlayer

Yes... It's Emrakul.
I'm simply curious. It's a question I was asked last night by my girlfriend, and she asked if humans were more creative, or more destructive? I have my own opinion, but I'm simply curious what you think.

I feel the two go hand in hand. Some of the most destructive things we made required a creative mind.

Well it's pretty much impossible to have one without the other, so I'd say humans are a lot of both, and as a collective species, were neither more creative nor more destructive.

As lord o da rings and crystal_pidegot have stated; I think it's impossible as a species to be only creative or destructive. You kind of have to have both of them; they can't exactly exist without the other. It's a cohabitational kind of relationship.

Some of our greatest creative advances have involved the death and destruction of in-numerous people and property. Some of our species' most destructive ideas have been our most creative.

I think that the creativity or destructivity of humans is largely affected by some of our inherent human qualities, some good, and some bad. We have this desire to find, discover, understand and explore, and that is probably what channels our creativity. However, we also tend to be selfish (of ourselves or of our race) and ambitious, which both drives us to create while also causing destruction.

Interstingly, you've got terror attacks and genocide which may appear to solely destroy, being driven by negative motives such as anger and revenge, but I've notice that looking further reveals that there's a motive to create... something. I believe the Holocaust was part of Hitler's plan to restore Germany after a political, economical and social collapse caused by World War I, and even terrorist attacks are intended to create fear.

So perhaps we are creative beings, or at least we are driven by our desire to create (or simply make an impact), but it can bring alongside destruction, if we do not care.

Personally, from my own world view (of intelligent design), I believe that humans were designed to create, but became a destructive race due to a number of events in history. It's definitely an interesting discussion. ^.^

A post about creativity versus destruction, from someone with the name TheControlPlayer, who has Emrakul for a display picture. I feel like there's a tiny bit of situational irony here.

That being said, I don't think we're inherently either. I think that, with no outside influences, we merely exist. I think that all of the influences in one's life will lead them to be either more creative or more destructive, and not necessarily in the "I'm gonna make this" or "I'm gonna break this" way. I'm lacking the words to properly explain it, unfortunately.

I think humans are all equally as destructive and creative, some just tend to lean towards one side. For example, I love to create, I write, draw, make music, do pixel art, all that stuff.

I think I need to bring this up in order to answer your question:
If you believe in God, it's reasonable to say that man was created to create, but by our choices we became destructive.
So for my answer, I would agree with everyone else in saying that humans are creative and destructive.

Back