Applying to Colleges

If you are entering as an "undecided" major, dropping spanish won't hurt your chances at getting admitted. Most colleges actually only look for 2 years of a high school level Foreign Language, so since you've gone all the way up through 3, you'll be fine.

However, if you are doing a major like Business, where you would travel a lot, you might be required to take additional spanish classes while you are there, so staying in spanish now would cut down the classes, and by extention the $$$ you'd pay for classes in college.

I'd just get rid of Spanish, unless you plan on seeing yourself in a place where you'd need to speak it on a fairly regular basis. If I remember right, my university only required two years of a foreign language, and I had taken three years of Latin, so I was set. I take German just for fun though. :D

Celebi23 said:
I haven't given any thought to it at all yet. My goal is to keep my options as open as possible and try as many different classes as I can to help me decide.

Let's start with a basic question to help us better determine our recommended path choice.

What do you like to do?

Celebi23 said:
I'm a junior in high school and I'm trying to work out my schedule. I'm currently taking:

AP US History & English Block
AP Calculus
Spanish 4
Chemistry
Filler classes (Engineering 1, Entrepreneurship)

This is quite a workload (I basically get home at 3:30 and do homework until 8:30 with no breaks), so I'm thinking about dropping Spanish 4 for a P.E./Fitness class. Do any of you who have already graduated high school and applied for college think this will hurt my chances of getting into good colleges? I'd prefer that only people who are already graduated from high school answer.

To be honest (I'm still in high school) most schools really just look for atleast two years in a foreign language class, and with you being in Spanish 4, you've already filled that requirement. So yes, you can drop spanish and go for Phys. Ed.

Rusticks said:
Let's start with a basic question to help us better determine our recommended path choice.

What do you like to do?
Well, I like debate. I like reasoning and strategy. And I like creating ideas and concepts. I like social interaction; I don't want to work alone. So being a businessman or some sort or a lawyer is probably my best bet. I just couldn't handle being a criminal defense/prosecution lawyer though.

Back