Discussion Altering Prize Rulings and Going 2nd

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
So I read the initial post and a few comments, but don't feel like reading through everything so forgive me if I'm being redundant.

I think it's an interesting proposition. I'm neither for or against it. I think you brought up solid points as to why the prize mechanic is good the way it is and why it can be frustrating sometimes in a competitive setting. There was a huge discussion on HeyFonte recently about this very same topic. The original poster suggested that instead of using cards from your deck as prizes, just change it to a points system, where every non-EX/GX knockout gives you a point and every EX/GX knockout gives you two points. The win condition remains the same, but now we wouldn't have to worry about prizing anything. He made many of the same points that you did about it making deck building better and also saving time during both players' Turn 1.

For better or worse, however, I don't think the current prize mechanic will ever change. It's been the same way for over 20 years. Plus, it would impact the wording of so many cards that are already out. Maybe that's not as big of a deal as I think it would be, but who knows.

The only suggestion I've made for the game, which I truly believe has no drawbacks, is doing what the Dragon Ball Super card game does at the beginning of the game. Each player is allowed to shuffle back as many cards from their starting hand one time that they want and then draw that many cards before the game starts. I think that would help with people dead drawing at the start of a game. It doesn't shake things up that much, but I think players would like to have that option.

Otaku

The wise fool?
You little girls need to stop arguing. Pokemon ain't changing its gameplay method anytime soon XD

I feel like this is insulting to little girls. >.> I don't know if anyone won that argument, but I know I lost, if only in credibility and time. I'd comment on some of the ideas put forth since, but because I wasted so much time then, I don't have it now. XP

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
I feel like this is insulting to little girls. >.> I don't know if anyone won that argument, but I know I lost, if only in credibility and time. I'd comment on some of the ideas put forth since, but because I wasted so much time then, I don't have it now. XP
I don't know and I don't care who won the argument. I'm just saying that you guys were arguing like little girls. End of statement.

Last edited:

Otaku

The wise fool?
I don't know and I don't care who won the argument. I'm just saying that you guys were arguing like little girls. End of statement.

And I was trying to apologize and make a small joke at my own expense. Guess we know how well that turned out. >.> So to be clear, sorry about that.

Last edited:

LucHawk

Aspiring Trainer
I know this is going to come off as unfortunate for you, but random prizes are one of the key points in Pokemon. The fact that you don't know what prizes you have until you look through your deck, how you have to adjust to your strategy, and how you now have to maybe play different is a huge part of the Pokemon game.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Probably too soon for me to try and make a serious point but...

I know this is going to come off as unfortunate for you, but random prizes are one of the key points in Pokemon. The fact that you don't know what prizes you have until you look through your deck, how you have to adjust to your strategy, and how you now have to maybe play different is a huge part of the Pokemon game.

What you say is correct, LucHawk, but that doesn't make it right. ;)

We can discuss a "What if?" scenario, come up with house rules, etc. in this thread. It doesn't violate the board rules. You're welcome to join us. It might be a waste of time, but it might be fun and it could be a good mental exercise.

Even those of us who fancy the official rules changing, we aren't as crazy as you might think. The core rules of the game have changed over time; donking was once a major part of the game, even the focus of some decks. Not only the card pool but the rules changed to reduce this... then were changed back and it happened again. Now, we are at one of the times when the First Turn Rules make this difficult but the powers that be still release cards that make it more (not less) likely for donks to happen. Maybe the powers-that-be just don't care.

Regardless, what you said in the quotes could be easily rewritten to address someone trying to come up with house rules to reduce or prevent donking, and that was a "thing" you'd see on message boards back in the day.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Probably too soon for me to try and make a serious point but...

What you say is correct, LucHawk, but that doesn't make it right. ;)

We can discuss a "What if?" scenario, come up with house rules, etc. in this thread. It doesn't violate the board rules. You're welcome to join us. It might be a waste of time, but it might be fun and it could be a good mental exercise.

Even those of us who fancy the official rules changing, we aren't as crazy as you might think. The core rules of the game have changed over time; donking was once a major part of the game, even the focus of some decks. Not only the card pool but the rules changed to reduce this... then were changed back and it happened again. Now, we are at one of the times when the First Turn Rules make this difficult but the powers that be still release cards that make it more (not less) likely for donks to happen. Maybe the powers-that-be just don't care.

Regardless, what you said in the quotes could be easily rewritten to address someone trying to come up with house rules to reduce or prevent donking, and that was a "thing" you'd see on message boards back in the day.
What do you think about the Lost Zone entering play again?

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Short version: Was fine with it being here, was disappointed with it leaving, but I'd rather other things were put into order before such a thing returned.
Looks like you'll just have to deal with it, cuz now it's returning XD