Help Advice on World Championship Decks ?

Boomer34

Aspiring Trainer
So my son and I are somewhat new to PTCG. We went through a trainer deck, and have the Keldeo/Rayqaza battle deck. We are wanting to build some custom decks now, but we mostly just play each other...and some casual games at our local game store (Its the only one in our country that carries Pokemon...and the few players there are good with using proxies, and play expanded).
So instead of shelling out 150-200 for a few custom decks each...I thought we could buy the 2017 and possibly 2016 World Championship decks. I know they are not tournament legal, which doesn't really apply to us. I figured it would give us all the main trainers and the hot card (Lele, etc...), and let us find what we really like...and if we then want to build legal decks down the line, we can. Thoughts on that plan?
And also, how far back would it be worth looking to purchase the WC decks? I know 2017...but should I consider 2016 decks or even 2015? Any decks stand out above the rest for useful cards that are still great to play in expanded format?
Thanks for the help!!!

I'm seeing at one of the popular online shops, you can get the four 2017 decks on sale now for $45.

Like so much in PTCG currently, the decision kinda comes down to having Tapu Lele. The four decks would come with 8 Lele's, which would be all my son and I would need to build decks around. And with my son only being 7...I'm not going to drop the money to buy him real Lele's...so it comes down to either going with WC deck route, or printing our own proxies, or just building decks with Lele.

I went through the four decks composition, and they would come with about 23 different trainer types...all the current popular ones. I could probably buy the trainer singles for not that much more than the four decks cost...(I'm having to have enough trainers for me and my son) but then I would be buying the Pokemon at added cost...and then you have to deal with the Lele decision.

If you have no intention on using them outside of friendly matches, then go for it. It will give you an overall idea of good battle mechanics that go into successful decks. Use the parts you like when making a legal deck later on.

If your not playing in tournaments and just playing free play, then get the WC decks because you get fakes of all the good cards so you can even build your own decks with the WC cards and learn more about the game and test what you like to use (Decks) before you buy the real things.

I was in the same place as you with the leles but i just used proxies of leles and cards I didn't have but after testing with the proxies I bought the cards I needed because i knew exactly what I wanted and turned out fine.

Good luck to you and your son getting into Pokemon and I hope you have a lot of fun in the process. :)

I recommend you take a look at the gameplay of some of the championship decks from tournaments on youtube or twitch.
some of the decks are a bit tricky to run (especially if you aren't ultra competitive and into the TCG strategy and gameplay).
some deck are more fun than others.
once you get a few decks, you can always tweak them with your own cards. adding a trainer here or there. pokemon. etc...
I probably wouldn't go any further back than 2015. mostly because some of the cards are outdated... back then, it might have only been EX cards.
but then came Megas. and now GXs.
have fun.

Back