Accelgor & Mew EX

D.N.A

Aspiring Trainer
This is an interesting looking rogue combo to try out, come the release of DE (though good luck getting four Mew EX!).

Mew-EX – Psychic – HP120
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Versatile
This Pokemon can use the attacks of all Pokemon in play as its own. (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.)

[P] Replace: Choose as many Energy cards attached to your Pokemon as you like, then reattach them to your Pokemon in any way you like.

When Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

---

Accelgor – Grass – HP90
Stage 1- Evolves from Shelmet

[G] Haymaker: 20 damage.
[C][C] Strike and Fade: 50 damage. The opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Poisoned and Paralyzed. Return this Pokemon and all cards attached to it to your deck. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 0

Get an Accelgor on your bench, then use Mew + DCE to constantly use Strike and Fade. Mew can be searched out using Level Ball etc. If you can get it running consistently you have the opportunity to lock your opponent into not being able to attack. Is this a viable rogue deck?

1. MewEX cannot be searched out with Level Ball
2. MewEX will be in the set after DE (should be).
And 120 can easily be one-shoted. Accelgor also can be one shoted easily, not to good.

Eh, it would be better with regular Mew IMO. I have actually been testing this a little, with Gothitelle, Gardevoir, Mew, and Dodrio. So far I haven't been getting very good results, as you obviously can tell the consistency of it is horrid. I've also heard of other versions that just use Celebi as energy acceleration and Vileplume as a lock, but the problem with that version is that they have nothing to send up to survive an attack once the opponent's active is KOed.

alexmf2 said:
Eh, it would be better with regular Mew IMO. I have actually been testing this a little, with Gothitelle, Gardevoir, Mew, and Dodrio. So far I haven't been getting very good results, as you obviously can tell the consistency of it is horrid. I've also heard of other versions that just use Celebi as energy acceleration and Vileplume as a lock, but the problem with that version is that they have nothing to send up to survive an attack once the opponent's active is KOed.

Vileplume, Celebi, and Dodrio will be out of rotation before Mew EX comes out. Mew EX and Darkrai EX, with Goth should work.

You have to get a DCE back every turn. Not that easy, with the limited draw support of BW-on and no Energy Exchanger. I think a Darkrai/Goth variant would suffer from overcomplicated setup - 2 Basics, one of which has to be replaced every turn, a Stage 1 and a Stage 2, and one out of four DCE's every turn is a lot. When you set up, however, it's almost game over.

I think the idea can work, but the thing is, you don't want to run it with Mew EX. You want to run with it Mew Prime. Mew Prime can be searched out easily with Level Ball as opposed to the EX version, which can't. Not only that, but with Mew EX, you need to actually have Accelgor in play, and it will end up taking bench space. With Mew Prime, since the Accelgor is in the Lost Zone and Mew Prime can copy attacks of Pokemon in the Lost Zone, this gives you more bench room to play cards.

Such an idea can work pretty well if you play the trainer lock version; that is, with Vileplume. You run it just like Accelgor/Vileplume, only in this instance, you want to put the Accelgor into the Lost Zone (usualy with Relicanth, much like when you play Mewbox). From there, you should bring out Vileplume A.S.A.P. and get the Mews going with Pokemon Collector or just straightforward draw. This idea, however, will only work right now for this format. Once BW-on starts, we lose Vileplume, Collector, and many many draw supporters that can be used effectively under trainer lock (like Sage's and Twins), so forget about playing Mew EX with this concept; thus, Mew Prime will be your only option.

How I know this idea works is that someone from the Wisconsin area has played this Mew Prime/Accelgor/Vileplume deck all through Spring Battle Roads and practically made some nice success with it (making top cut most of the time). I can't get into much details about the deck, but it did run some techs that made it useful when Mew Prime wasn't around (like Chandelure NV for one).

There are problems with running the Mews with Accelgor. The biggest problem is Darkrai. If Darkrai has an Eviolite attached to him, your Mew will only be doing 10 damage + Poison to it, which won't get you very far unless you get lucky with using Mew every single turn. With Darkrai being the BCIF at the moment, the Mew idea may not be such a good idea general because of Darkrai's psychic resistance, so you're probably better off running just Accelgor to hit for the hard damage and poison. Like with all Accelgor/Vilepume decks, another problem is the chance of not being able to hit Mew every single turn. If you don't hit the Mew for a turn, it gives the opponent an opening to pull off an attack, and with Darkrai's case, the problem is made worse, as they can deliver 90 damage a turn and snipe away on your Vileplume until it is finally KOd.

JPN Gallade said:
I think the idea can work, but the thing is, you don't want to run it with Mew EX. You want to run with it Mew Prime. Mew Prime can be searched out easily with Level Ball as opposed to the EX version, which can't. Not only that, but with Mew EX, you need to actually have Accelgor in play, and it will end up taking bench space. With Mew Prime, since the Accelgor is in the Lost Zone and Mew Prime can copy attacks of Pokemon in the Lost Zone, this gives you more bench room to play cards.

Such an idea can work pretty well if you play the trainer lock version; that is, with Vileplume. You run it just like Accelgor/Vileplume, only in this instance, you want to put the Accelgor into the Lost Zone (usualy with Relicanth, much like when you play Mewbox). From there, you should bring out Vileplume A.S.A.P. and get the Mews going with Pokemon Collector or just straightforward draw. This idea, however, will only work right now for this format. Once BW-on starts, we lose Vileplume, Collector, and many many draw supporters that can be used effectively under trainer lock (like Sage's and Twins), so forget about playing Mew EX with this concept; thus, Mew Prime will be your only option.

How I know this idea works is that someone from the Wisconsin area has played this Mew Prime/Accelgor/Vileplume deck all through Spring Battle Roads and practically made some nice success with it (making top cut most of the time). I can't get into much details about the deck, but it did run some techs that made it useful when Mew Prime wasn't around (like Chandelure NV for one).

There are problems with running the Mews with Accelgor. The biggest problem is Darkrai. If Darkrai has an Eviolite attached to him, your Mew will only be doing 10 damage + Poison to it, which won't get you very far unless you get lucky with using Mew every single turn. With Darkrai being the BCIF at the moment, the Mew idea may not be such a good idea general because of Darkrai's psychic resistance, so you're probably better off running just Accelgor to hit for the hard damage and poison. Like with all Accelgor/Vilepume decks, another problem is the chance of not being able to hit Mew every single turn. If you don't hit the Mew for a turn, it gives the opponent an opening to pull off an attack, and with Darkrai's case, the problem is made worse, as they can deliver 90 damage a turn and snipe away on your Vileplume until it is finally KOd.

The main problem of this deck isn't Darkrai. Yoshi's list (the dude from Wisconsin you're referring to) beats darkrai to a bloody pulp consistantly. With smart placement of Chandelure's damage counters, Darkrai never gets to attack. The main problem is that Vileplume gets rotated. And you said Mew EX will not be an option, you'll have to use Mew Prime? umm... Mew Prime gets rotated too. So Mew EX is the only option.

This deck can't work because with the loss of Vileplume, your opponent is just going to switch (or escape rope when it's printed) out of paralysis all day, and score free KOs. Mew EX doesn't get released until after the rotation, so this thread is rather irrelevant. The best you could hope for is to substitute Gothitelle for Vileplume, but then you lose the ability to place damage counters with Chandelure every turn, which means your opponent gets to attack. The goal of the deck is to sacrifice stuff until you can start attacking with Mews. At that point, your opponent doesn't attack for the rest of the game. With the loss of Vileplume, this strategy isn't possible. The deck goes down on prize cards early, and your opponent gets to attack you every once in a while. This deck just isn't possible after the rotation.

You can use Gothitelle/ Darkrai to lock your opponent and then retreat for free.

TheBugManiac said:
You have to get a DCE back every turn. Not that easy, with the limited draw support of BW-on and no Energy Exchanger. I think a Darkrai/Goth variant would suffer from overcomplicated setup - 2 Basics, one of which has to be replaced every tur n, a Stage 1 and a Stage 2, and one out of four DCE's every turn is a lot. When you set up, however, it's almost game over.

Its actually not 2 hard with 4 DCEs Musharna Junis and stuff and u have ultra balls Pokemon comms and level balls I've tested it its not too bad

One Approved said:
The main problem of this deck isn't Darkrai. Yoshi's list (the dude from Wisconsin you're referring to) beats darkrai to a bloody pulp consistantly. With smart placement of Chandelure's damage counters, Darkrai never gets to attack. The main problem is that Vileplume gets rotated. And you said Mew EX will not be an option, you'll have to use Mew Prime? umm... Mew Prime gets rotated too. So Mew EX is the only option.

This deck can't work because with the loss of Vileplume, your opponent is just going to switch (or escape rope when it's printed) out of paralysis all day, and score free KOs. Mew EX doesn't get released until after the rotation, so this thread is rather irrelevant. The best you could hope for is to substitute Gothitelle for Vileplume, but then you lose the ability to place damage counters with Chandelure every turn, which means your opponent gets to attack. The goal of the deck is to sacrifice stuff until you can start attacking with Mews. At that point, your opponent doesn't attack for the rest of the game. With the loss of Vileplume, this strategy isn't possible. The deck goes down on prize cards early, and your opponent gets to attack you every once in a while. This deck just isn't possible after the rotation.

Well, you do make a very valid point about the rotation ruining the deck idea, but a Darkrai deck can beat Yoshi's Mew/Accelgor deck. In fact, I recall that I actually went against Yoshi in the finals in the Oconomowac, WI, Battle Road two weeks ago and beat his deck using Darkrai/Tornadus. Darkrai/Tornadus is a fast deck overall, and I remember in all of his games in the finals against him, I managed to take a 3 prize card lead before the Vileplume came out, and of course from their, the deck's strategy took shape. Because I didn't know how to beat the deck upon first seeing it, I lost game 1, but by game 2, I managed to defeat the deck in the end because he couldn't attack with Mew every single turn, and in those turns when he didn't attack with Mew, he would have to pull out a Pokemon from his bench that was usually pretty easy to KO. Thus, this allowed me to score some easy prizes (allowing me to maintain my prize lead), along with sniping his one Vileplume on the bench to the point that finally, after having a Darkrai KOd and pulling out a new one, I knocked out the Vileplume to which he scooped because he had no way to trainer lock me at the moment far late in the game to hinder me more (I believe I only had one or prizes left after I KOd the only Vileplume he had out). Game 3 I won in sudden death, as I took the first prize. So there, the deck won't always beat Darkrai into a bloody pulp.

Literally, to sum up this whole thing what I said about Darkrai not being 100% beatable, the thing about it is that, sure, the correct Chandelure placements can be good enough to stop a Darkrai from attacking, but if you don't want to have the Darkrai attacking nonstop when you are playing the Mew/Accelgor deck, you have to be able to paralyze it every single turn, and in order for that to happen, you pretty much need to hit a DCE every turn; otherwise, if you don't, you'll have to just attach an energy onto it so that you can attack the next turn, and a smart Darkrai player will be able to have an opening for an attack to be able to snipe away on the Vileplume until it gets KOd late in the game, and if it's the only Vileplume in play (as it was the case in my games against Yoshi in the finals), then you are in a pretty tough spot.

vebtran said:
Vileplume, Celebi, and Dodrio will be out of rotation before Mew EX comes out. Mew EX and Darkrai EX, with Goth should work.

When this thread came out DE hadn't come out, and the OP suggested that Mew EX would be in DE.

Accelgor doesn't work in BW-On. It will fall behind 2-3 prizes and each time it takes a prize, so will the opponent. It just loses the prize race once it goes down a prize or two. The only magic numbers it hits are 140 and 70 where the poison KO's coming into the Accelgor player's turn. Those numbers are exactly Garchomp/Altaria's numbers, so it has a decent matchup against that one deck but even then they can OHKO Gothitelles pretty easily. Also Accelgor loses to every other deck since they just lose the prize trade, and against ZekEels, Raikou EX will snipe the Accelgor on the bench and prevent the Accelgor player from attacking.

Cinema said:
Accelgor doesn't work in BW-On. It will fall behind 2-3 prizes and each time it takes a prize, so will the opponent. It just loses the prize race once it goes down a prize or two. The only magic numbers it hits are 140 and 70 where the poison KO's coming into the Accelgor player's turn. Those numbers are exactly Garchomp/Altaria's numbers, so it has a decent matchup against that one deck but even then they can OHKO Gothitelles pretty easily. Also Accelgor loses to every other deck since they just lose the prize trade, and against ZekEels, Raikou EX will snipe the Accelgor on the bench and prevent the Accelgor player from attacking.

Accelgor practically autowins Garchomp, that automatically makes it at least semi playable in my book. And Darkrai cannot OHKO Gothitelle, making it a 2-1 prize trade for Accelgor, and that's only if the Accelgor player doesn't use Max Potion etc.

Raikou EX can snipe Accelgor, but then you can just set up another one (If you see that they are playing Eels, you should already have another Shelmet out) and continue using Mew EX. Raikou gives you two prizes so it makes the prize trade another 2-1 trade. Also nothing in Eels can OHKO Gothitelle except for Rayquaza EX, which gives up 2 prizes, making yet another 2-1 trade.

JPN Gallade said:
Well, you do make a very valid point about the rotation ruining the deck idea, but a Darkrai deck can beat Yoshi's Mew/Accelgor deck. In fact, I recall that I actually went against Yoshi in the finals in the Oconomowac, WI, Battle Road two weeks ago and beat his deck using Darkrai/Tornadus. Darkrai/Tornadus is a fast deck overall, and I remember in all of his games in the finals against him, I managed to take a 3 prize card lead before the Vileplume came out, and of course from their, the deck's strategy took shape. Because I didn't know how to beat the deck upon first seeing it, I lost game 1, but by game 2, I managed to defeat the deck in the end because he couldn't attack with Mew every single turn, and in those turns when he didn't attack with Mew, he would have to pull out a Pokemon from his bench that was usually pretty easy to KO. Thus, this allowed me to score some easy prizes (allowing me to maintain my prize lead), along with sniping his one Vileplume on the bench to the point that finally, after having a Darkrai KOd and pulling out a new one, I knocked out the Vileplume to which he scooped because he had no way to trainer lock me at the moment far late in the game to hinder me more (I believe I only had one or prizes left after I KOd the only Vileplume he had out). Game 3 I won in sudden death, as I took the first prize. So there, the deck won't always beat Darkrai into a bloody pulp.

Literally, to sum up this whole thing what I said about Darkrai not being 100% beatable, the thing about it is that, sure, the correct Chandelure placements can be good enough to stop a Darkrai from attacking, but if you don't want to have the Darkrai attacking nonstop when you are playing the Mew/Accelgor deck, you have to be able to paralyze it every single turn, and in order for that to happen, you pretty much need to hit a DCE every turn; otherwise, if you don't, you'll have to just attach an energy onto it so that you can attack the next turn, and a smart Darkrai player will be able to have an opening for an attack to be able to snipe away on the Vileplume until it gets KOd late in the game, and if it's the only Vileplume in play (as it was the case in my games against Yoshi in the finals), then you are in a pretty tough spot.

Anything can beat that deck in sudden death lol. It doesn't always beat Darkrai, but I kind of read your post as "Deck doesn't work against Darkrai."

Either way, this is beside the point. This thread is speculating about Mew EX, not Mew Prime/Vileplume. We both already know that deck works. Mew EX doesn't work to the same extent because You don't have the Cursed Shadow Ability, which means your opponent gets ahead on prize cards early, and then you have to attempt a prize trade while losing. Does it have potential after the rotation? Sure. Will it be half as consistant? Due to the loss of Twins, Pokémon Colelctor, Vileplume, Relicanth, and Mew Prime, no.

Mewtwo EX can OHKO Gothitelle with only 3 energy on itself, since Gothitelle will have one Dark Energy for free retreat. There's no way the Accelgor player can set up Gothitelles as fast as their opponent can set up Mewtwos.

Cinema said:
Mewtwo EX can OHKO Gothitelle with only 3 energy on itself, since Gothitelle will have one Dark Energy for free retreat. There's no way the Accelgor player can set up Gothitelles as fast as their opponent can set up Mewtwos.

But the Accelgor player gets two prizes for every Mewtwo you set up, making it a 2-1 prize trade for Accelgor.

They're pretty likely to run out of Gothitelles making it really easy for you to just Catcher Mew EX's and Accelgors to prevent them from attacking and also to take 2 prizes off Mew and catch up. Also, if the Accelgor player misses a DCE even once they'll be in big trouble, and there aren't a ton of consistent energy acceleration methods for Accelgor that don't take up too much space.

I disagree, they are not likely at all to run out of Gothitelle. Gothitelle is one of the main basises of the deck, there is a lot to make sure that doesn't happen like Rare Candy and Super Rod. And it's quite easy to stream Mews now, I can't imagine how easy it would be with use of trainers and Musharna.

alexmf2 said:
I disagree, they are not likely at all to run out of Gothitelle. Gothitelle is one of the main basises of the deck, there is a lot to make sure that doesn't happen like Rare Candy and Super Rod. And it's quite easy to stream Mews now, I can't imagine how easy it would be with use of trainers and Musharna.

It's pretty difficult for them to set up 3 Gothitelles in a row. Most decks play 2 Mewtwo EX so they can OHKO 2 Gothitelle in a row. Also, it's not getting the Mew that's ever a problem, it's getting the DCE's. It usually gets it with Musharna but once it misses it just once it's hard to come back.

Cinema said:

So u catcher Mewtwo leave it til near death catcher another than Night spear I just tok 4 prizes.

Back