A rare find? (Pokemon 1st edition base set box)

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
Me and my friend visited a local flea market this afternoon, and I found an opened box of Pokemon base set in 1ST EDITION! The box is sadly not sealed, and I bought it for 150 bucks. Does anyone know how much this box may go for on eBay?

Should I open it or sell it?

UPDATE: SOLD FOR 6500$

RE: A rare find?

Jungletoad said:
The packs are LEGIT, I've double checked it several times!
If it is truly legit I think 1st Edition Base Set booster boxes go for thousands of dollars, not something I'd personally want to open. It's up to you if you want hold onto it or sell it now. The price of the box will only go up but even if you try to sell it now you can't really be certain someone's willing to pay such a price.

Edit: Though just to be clear, I think that's only the rate for English boxes. You didn't specify its language and as far as I can tell there's multiple 1st edition foreign boxes going for under $1000.

If it's English, and of course legit, the packs alone go for $150-200 apiece making an entire box very valuable.

If it is not English, the entire box is worth around $200-600 (depending on the language).

I've been thinking about doing something like this at the flea market near me.. How can you guys tell if the box/packs are legit just by looking at the box?

Well I bought some Unseen Forces packs from ebay from a guy who got it from the Flea Market. The packs were resealed and two of the rare cards were fake. I noticed the text was a bit blurrier than the other cards so it bothered me and I accidently tore it in half. I laughed out loud. No trademark black inks anywhere in the tear. Another buyer also claimed his Legend Maker packs were resealed.

Either you got really, really lucky the person doesn't know the value, those packs are all weighed, or they are resealed. Hopefully the first option.

You can easily see that the packs is real by looking at the back of it. Watch thesmgquest's video and he explains of you can easily tell that the pack is legit. It has always been a dream to open this box, but if I sell it I can afford other boxes such as the Jungle, Fossil and Team Rocket in 1ST edition. I also want a 1ST edition Neo Destiny box. I am pretty sure I will sell the box :)

Oh, and the packs are english and in very nice condition :)

Honestly, you can sell the box and buy the entire set for much less in NM/M condition.

The box is more of a collector's item than something you should gamble with and open.

Jungletoad said:
You can easily see that the packs is real by looking at the back of it. Watch thesmgquest's video and he explains of you can easily tell that the pack is legit. It has always been a dream to open this box, but if I sell it I can afford other boxes such as the Jungle, Fossil and Team Rocket in 1ST edition. I also want a 1ST edition Neo Destiny box. I am pretty sure I will sell the box :)

Oh, and the packs are english and in very nice condition :)

Yea, but coming from a Flea Market, no one really knows what the packs have been through. If they look legit, that's cool but if someone is looking to buy packs to open, they may have concerns with if it's been tampered with. Since it's no longer a sealed box you might have better luck selling the packs individually for 18-25$ each. That would come very close to what a sealed box would anyway. Also omit the fact it came from a flea market. :p It's up to you though, I just think selling the packs individually would make more money. :p At 23$ it can come close to 800$ :O

Do you have all 36 packs in an unsealed box? If so, you should do one of two things:

1. Open ONE pack to check the legitimacy of the cards. Then sell the rest of the packs loose (as previously stated, you should expect to get around $150 for each). This way guarantees the legitimacy of the cards and guarantees that you'll make a solid chunk of money as there are always people looking to buy these packs (just don't flood the market with them by putting more than 3-5 up at a time).

2. Trust the cards are legit and just throw the box up on Ebay for some ridiculously high price (like $9,000) and turn the Best Offer option on. I say to do this because auctions for high price items like this are too risky. Although there are only 0-2 up on Ebay (I believe worldwide last time I checked), running an auction at the wrong time can cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars. So when you list the box, list it something like "Pokemon 1st Edition Base Set Booster Box Opened MAKE OFFERS!"

Whatever you do, don't open all of the packs. It's not worth it at all. For the price you can sell them sealed, you can go buy a whole 1st edition set and still have a good amount of money left over.

Daelum said:
Do you have all 36 packs in an unsealed box? If so, you should do one of two things:

1. Open ONE pack to check the legitimacy of the cards. Then sell the rest of the packs loose (as previously stated, you should expect to get around $150 for each). This way guarantees the legitimacy of the cards and guarantees that you'll make a solid chunk of money as there are always people looking to buy these packs (just don't flood the market with them by putting more than 3-5 up at a time).

Whatever you do, don't open the packs
. It's not worth it at all. For the price you can sell them sealed, you can go buy a whole 1st edition set and still have a good amount of money left over.
Wait.. what?

Salamencetrainer34 said:
Wait.. what?
He's saying you lose money by opening the packs.

However, opening ONE can be beneficial as you'll know whether or not the packs are legitimate without doubt.

Back