Discussion 2018 Rotation and Important Trainers

rayquazatopaz34

How to Pokemon?
I understand that it is a bit early to completely define meta after the next rotation (2018), but for a long term investing (poor) player like me, expensive trainers and other cards are integral to our metagame are important investments, and so is knowing how long they will stay in rotation and when they will go. I want to get everyones opinion on what set will be the rotation point after this year (ROS, AOR, BKT etc.) as this will help determine what cards to keep investing in. (seekers are going up :-( )

Problem about this is that its still possible for trainers to get reprints in newer sets, thus staying in the meta.
But lets go through some of the Trainercards one by one shall we.

Sycamore: He was in Steamsiege last which prob means he is save. If they do rotate everything Xy out compleatly (which is unlikely in my opinion) chances of a reprint are slim. Possibly same ability under a diffrent name. But you need the new Card then.

VS Seeker: hard to call. Last print was in ROS. So its likely to get kicked out. But its also been reprinted a lot of times but not in many sets. You have to wonder if they do that to keep the price high. And a FA VS Seeker in S/M 2 or 3 would print instant money. But still. Could get rotated out.

Max Elixir: Its in BKP. I think it will stay. Prob gets reprinted in later sets aswell. I dont think its a one-off.

Trainers Mail: hmm.. Last print was in AOR. I actually see this thing going away. If you get you hands on some. Feel free to bcs if im wrong and this thing comes back. Effect and Name will prob not change. So you can still use the ones you have rn.

N: He was in Fates Colide. Dont think that gets banned. Its kinda weird he is still around. Despite beeing a Gen 5 Character.

Lysandre: I see him getting rotated. Last print was in AOR. Possibly getting replaced by whats his face of Team Skull. But real talk. I think he is a bit Bs anyway so i dont mind getting lost compleatly. (As in his effect)

As for the type specific trainer cards: They usually get one print and thats it. But they arent that pricey anyway usually.

what about key cards in Breakthrough like Buddy-Buddy, float stone and others? I understand that they might also be explained with the elixir, but what are your thoughts on reprints and such for borderline sets? (2015 print/BKT on/ AOR on)

I mean i just spoke about the cards that came to my mind. Probably forgot quite a lot.
Buddy Buddy Seems like a card thats quite neiche. But also quite harmless. You could sneak that one in quite a lot of sets so maybe that one comes back.

Floatstone is hard to tell. It seems like such a staple that it prob comes back at some point. Maybe it takes a break for 1 Roatation or some bs like that.

Everything through Steam Siege should get rotated - including Generations and XY promos. There would be little reason to make Arternate art card for Jolteon, and Sycamore if not. I expect there to be 4 sets.

Evolutions (which would validate shining legends reference to EX cards)
SM
SM2
SM Promos

Of course SM3 will be right in quickly. By Worlds next years will have at least another 3 full sets and a slew of more trainers and promos. The SM sets are huge and have a good variety of cards to make many competitive decks

Everything through Steam Siege should get rotated - including Generations and XY promos. There would be little reason to make Arternate art card for Jolteon, and Sycamore if not. I expect there to be 4 sets.

Evolutions (which would validate shining legends reference to EX cards)
SM
SM2
SM Promos

Of course SM3 will be right in quickly. By Worlds next years will have at least another 3 full sets and a slew of more trainers and promos. The SM sets are huge and have a good variety of cards to make many competitive decks

Yes let's have a format with only 3 sets and some promos. *sarcasm*
There's no way this is happening, buddy.. too little cards and supporters.
It will, most likely, be BKT-on.

Rotation is gonna be BKT-on for sure. Invest in any staple trainers from those sets onward. Buddy-Buddy is outclassed by Rescue Stretcher.

Rotation is gonna be BKT-on for sure. Invest in any staple trainers from those sets onward. Buddy-Buddy is outclassed by Rescue Stretcher.

Nothing is confirmed yet.

Although, this seems incredibly likely given previous statistics.

I thought I saw somewhere that everything from XY evolutions to newer is going to be the standard. But, of course, there's a good chance that I'm wrong.

Yes let's have a format with only 3 sets and some promos. *sarcasm*
There's no way this is happening, buddy.. too little cards and supporters.
It will, most likely, be BKT-on.

That would leave 5 sets not 3 (EVO, SM1, SM2, SM3, SM Promos) These are huge sets with lots of trainers and many playable current decks.

By Next year we would have another 3-4 full sets, Shining legends, more SM promos, possibly trainer kits.

I realize it does not matter, Pokemon will do what they want. I am just wondering where people are getting BreakThrough. It does not make sense with the alternate art cards. I would love to have another year of value out of my back stock of trainers, it just would not make sense with card like Professor Sycamore from Steam Siege. Do you know why they would have given that an alternate art from the set instead of a promo if it would stay in rotation?

That would leave 5 sets not 3 (EVO, SM1, SM2, SM3, SM Promos) These are huge sets with lots of trainers and many playable current decks.

By Next year we would have another 3-4 full sets, Shining legends, more SM promos, possibly trainer kits.

I realize it does not matter, Pokemon will do what they want. I am just wondering where people are getting BreakThrough. It does not make sense with the alternate art cards. I would love to have another year of value out of my back stock of trainers, it just would not make sense with card like Professor Sycamore from Steam Siege. Do you know why they would have given that an alternate art from the set instead of a promo if it would stay in rotation?
I think BKT because it rotates an average number of sets and leaves all the breaks in the game. It doesn't screw next years rotation into being something awkward like rotating another 4-5 sets.

I don't count Promos as a set. It would be 4 sets, which just isn't enough.
A BKT-on format would leave all breaks in the game and have them all rotated at once, while rotating out the average amount. This would also set up the 2019 rotation to be SM-on, while still rotating the average amount.

Nothing has been announced. But betting on Breakthrough-on is safe money.

Basically, if you haven't/aren't preparing for a VS Seeker-less format. You're already behind.

Garb has managed to ween people off of using Trainers Mail. Shaymin will get replaced with more Lele.

Lysandre will be seamlessly replaced by Guzma.

Decks using Silent Lab, I feel, will be replacing them with Chaos Tower. I think Espeon GX will be more powerful when the format change hits. And Chaos Tower shits down confusion shenanigans.

Hex Maniac will go with nothing close to replace what it does. Even if it was in the format, because VS Seeker is rotating, you'd either have to run at least 2 or nine at all. The era of tech supporters is at its end.

I feel like decks will utilize heavy supporter draw engines. 4 Sycamore, 4 N, 2-3 Guzma.

Last edited:
I'll just be stating what most people are expecting here, a BKT-on format. Possibly BKP-on, it depends on if tpcgi counts double crisis as a set, that being said, the one usage of a card in it would be team magma's secret base. But AOR Garados is rotating (most likely) so the one use of that card would be Drampa GX (which is huge at the moment) but all double crisis has is tech cards, so I'm really not sure. Does anyone remember when dragon vault rotated? Was it counted as a complete set in rotation? If dragon vault was counted as a complete set (1 of the 4 rotated) then we can expect BKT-on. If not BKP-on.

I'm fond of a Evolutions-On format because it removes Professor Sycamore, N, Volcanion, Volcanion-EX, Dual Type Pokemon and things like Max Elixir from the format, cards that should not exist in Sun and Moon. I'm a little less adamant of this because they are using a ban list and can just place these on the ban list but I find these cards a threat to a Sun and Moon format.

That said, no one actually knows what the format will be and the only safe thing to do is buy cards from Sun and Moon on since the format could be Sun and Moon on. People are overlooking one fact here. There is a reason they haven't announced what it is right now and I feel it's because it will be either Evolutions or Sun and Moon on and they don't want to say that as of now because it would run sales of each BREAK set, Fates and Steam, which is five more sets still on the market that will lose any value. They want to sell these as well as their Sun and Moon sets.

Breakthrough-On is likely but evidence suggest it's something else, Evolutions-On could be it since rotation is often at the reprint set, which Evolutions is (as well as there being no broken or overpowered cards in the set that complement Sun and Moon sets) but, the safe best is Sun and Moon, since most Trainers worth having were reprinted. The lack of a discard, draw seven effect and nerfed versions of N and Lysandre are also telling... I guess Team Flare Grunt too...

I'm fond of a Evolutions-On format because it removes Professor Sycamore, N, Volcanion, Volcanion-EX, Dual Type Pokemon and things like Max Elixir from the format, cards that should not exist in Sun and Moon. I'm a little less adamant of this because they are using a ban list and can just place these on the ban list but I find these cards a threat to a Sun and Moon format.

That said, no one actually knows what the format will be and the only safe thing to do is buy cards from Sun and Moon on since the format could be Sun and Moon on. People are overlooking one fact here. There is a reason they haven't announced what it is right now and I feel it's because it will be either Evolutions or Sun and Moon on and they don't want to say that as of now because it would run sales of each BREAK set, Fates and Steam, which is five more sets still on the market that will lose any value. They want to sell these as well as their Sun and Moon sets.

Breakthrough-On is likely but evidence suggest it's something else, Evolutions-On could be it since rotation is often at the reprint set, which Evolutions is (as well as there being no broken or overpowered cards in the set that complement Sun and Moon sets) but, the safe best is Sun and Moon, since most Trainers worth having were reprinted. The lack of a discard, draw seven effect and nerfed versions of N and Lysandre are also telling... I guess Team Flare Grunt too...

EVO-on isn't happening. This is rotating too many sets, and would set up Burning Shadows to be rotated in August of 2018.. this isn't happening.
BKT-on.

If I had to guess, and going from what other people are saying, it'd be safe to assume BREAKthrough onwards. Mainly because as of Worlds, there will only be three Sun&Moon sets out, and three sets really isn't enough for a proper rotation.

There might not even be a rotation this year, but that does seem unlikely in itself. If there's a minimal rotation this year, then next year will probably be Sun&Moon Base onwards, sets normally last two years before getting the drop.

I'm almost hoping for SUM+ rotation. that would probably mean no rotation next year, but it would be a fresh start. Look at how much the meta has changed since SUM! Wiping the slate clean allows TPCi to start fresh, especially if they are wanting to make evolution lines viable. Getting rid of all XY slows the game down considerably.

I'm almost hoping for SUM+ rotation. that would probably mean no rotation next year, but it would be a fresh start. Look at how much the meta has changed since SUM! Wiping the slate clean allows TPCi to start fresh, especially if they are wanting to make evolution lines viable. Getting rid of all XY slows the game down considerably.
The game is already incredibly slow because of garb and evolutions are viable. We saw Metagross do well. It is a decks that goes through the stage 1 usually too. Greninja was in 2/3 finals matches at NAIC too.

EVO-on isn't happening. This is rotating too many sets, and would set up Burning Shadows to be rotated in August of 2018.. this isn't happening.
BKT-on.

I gave a reason why it might be Evolutions-On. Rotating too many sets isn't a reason. If it were a standard rotation, we would know what it is right now but they aren't telling us for some reason so one could assume it would be Evolutions-On, Sun and Moon-On or no rotation at all could happen. You know what they say about people beating around the bush right?

Back