2014 Dragon Ball Z TCG (Panini America)

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/...ringing-back-popular-dragon-ball-z-card-game/

https://www.facebook.com/paninidbz

http://retrodbzccgcom.fatcow.com/

Old news I know but it's pretty big, Panini America and FUNimation recently announced at this year's San Diego Comic Con that they'll be relaunching the Original Dragon Ball Z CCG from Score Entertainment designed by Jim Ward. Here's the latest info regarding the new relaunch:
  • Booster boxes will cost $96 with 12 cards per pack at a $3.99 price point.
  • The Booster Base set will be 160ish cards and be exclusive to the booster boxes.
  • Ultra Rares will drop 1:72 packs
  • Starter Cases will feature 6 different characters and have 8 starters per box at a $14.99 price point with most cards being exclusive to starters.
  • Foil cards will drop 1:3 packs. With a full foil set.
Rule Variations -
  • All cards work with original cards
  • The deck size under the new rules is 60 cards
  • The first set is a mix of reprints and new cards
  • Reprint cards have been updated with new “Hit” keyword text to make if successful effects easier to understand. Ex Hit – Your opponent cannot preform energy attacks.
  • New Banish keyword text replace “remove from the game”
  • New Critical effects have been added to the game. Whenever your opponent discards five cards of damage from an unstopped attack you may to choose to do one of the following effects: 1. Capture a dragon ball, 2. discard one of your opponent's allies in play from the game, 3. Lower your opponents anger by one.
  • Main Personality and Allies are not two separate card types.

Last edited:
RE: Panini America Relaunches Dragon Ball Z CCG

I bought way too many of these cards during their original run, and they've since been collecting dust in the basement. Could be fun to get some friends together and pick the new cards up -- I'd have plenty of old cards to use.

Well, it's either that...or try and sell the originals.

The DBZ CCG reboot by Panini was officially released last Friday as most of my friends talked me into buying a booster box and starter deck for the game. Each Starter Deck comes with a random personality set from Lv. 1-4 and I ended up getting Vegeta with Saiyan Empowered Mastery which I traded for Gohan Lv. 1-4 with Red Enraged Mastery where I managed to score my first win against Black Devious Frieza although I haven't played against Saiyan Empowered Vegeta yet though.

Now keep in mind while this reboot is backwards compatible with Score's DBZ CCG you're only allowed to run the Panini cards for sanctioned tournaments which makes sense given the unwanted power creep from the old DBZ and GT sets as it doesn't give veteran players an unfair advantage against newcomers by evening the playing field. I'm okay with it personally but some diehard fans of Score's DBZ CCG might see it differently as a missed opportunity for Panini not to allow players to use their old cards in sanctioned tournaments.

RE: Panini Relaunches Dragon Ball Z CCG

Bump...

More Rule Variations -

• All Main Personality Sets have 4 levels. There are no personalities without a level 4 and there are no level 5's.
  • All decks must include a Mastery card. There is no more declaration of Tokui-Waza, nor can you run Freestyle.
  • All decks must be exactly 60 cards while your MP and Mastery don't count toward your deck size in terms of deck construction.
  • Icons have been added to clarify when a card can be used. Attacks have a sword icon, blocks have a shield, "use when needed" effects have an exclamation point, and constant combat powers have an infinity symbol.
  • Named cards can only be played in decks that match the name of your MP as they are no longer limited to 4 copies per deck. This change was made in order to give personalities a more modular and distinct feel to them.
  • Non-Combat cards are no longer a card type. Drills are their own card type instead of being a sub-set of Non-Combat cards, and tradtionally activated Non-Combat cards are now called Setups.
  • Combat cards are now called Event cards in order to further differentiate them from Physical Combat and Energy Combat cards.
  • Allies are now their own card type. Not only does this prevent MP Powers from being bogged down by their potential use as an Ally, but it also has led to the creation of uniquely assistive effects. For example, fans of City in Turmoil may be happy to see a similar effect return in the form of an Ally Power. Constant Powers on Allies such as Nappa are always in effect now, even if your MP is more than one stage above zero. Allies can still use attacks or blocks when you are one or less stage above zero, and they can still have damage redirected to them. An Ally, however, is never in control of combat unless it is making an action. Due to this, you can no longer calculate base damage against the power level of an Ally. You can also put Allies into play regardless of the name of your opponent’s MP or Allies.
  • Once you have all seven Dragon Balls in play, you win immediately. You no longer need to wait If you capture the final Dragon Ball.
  • Most Powerful Personality Victory is now achieved by reaching 5 anger while on level 4. This has proven to be a lot more fun, as your devastating powers on level 4 can actually be utilized.
  • There is no more double power rule. With proper design of the new MPs, it was deemed unnecessary. There are also no more Final Physical Attacks. The PAT is now known as the “Attack Table” or “AT” and for balance purposes, it now ends at F. Things like the “active player” and “attacker attacks”/”defender defends” phases have been eliminated. Combat is now simply played out by an alternation of Actions (which are things like using a Power, playing an attack or block, etc).
  • Cards with their card names in gold are exact reprints of the Score Z version, meaning that you can run the old versions in tournament legal decks.
Source: http://paniniamericadbz.wordpress.com/2014/10/09/panini-america-offers-a-must-read-transition-guide-for-dbz-tcg-players-new-and-old/

Current Meta -

Tier 1: Namekian Piccolo, Blue/Orange/Black Ginyu
Tier 2: Black Krillin, Orange Goku, Red/Saiyan/Namekian Gohan
Tier 3: Red/Saiyan Vegeta/Trunks

I'm actually a bit surprised that Black Frieza isn't doing all that well in the current meta for Panini Z compared to Ginyu in terms of Villain Personalities. Orange Goku is pretty solid but falls short of being Tier 1 due to Black Scout Maneuver shutting down Goku's Kamehameha, although I like how Orange Uppercut can help you tutor for it before they manage to Black Scout Maneuver you from playing it but that's only If you're playing against Black. For anyone interested in getting back into the game what kinds of decks are you currently building? I've got Orange Goku and Red Gohan already built.

Anyone here whose been keeping up with the game like I have already knows that Namekian Knowledge Mastery has been errated. It now says, "Whenever your effects Rejuvenate or shuffle cards into your Life Deck during combat, raise your anger 1 level. Whenever a Dragon Ball enters play, your opponent destroys the top card of his Life Deck. While you control 1 Dragon Ball, it cannot be captured by a critical damage effect."

This definitely hurts Gohan more than it does Piccolo since he'll have a much harder time jumping levels as fast due to not having any built in Rejuvenation effects in order to keep up while Piccolo has a distinct edge against Ginyu which is what the Set 1 meta is right now until Set 2 gets released on March 13th with Raditz as one of the new MP's introduced with rumors of Nail and Tien getting their own MP sets as well.

For anyone whose interested Set 2 has been spoiled on SoCalGaming's website with the official release on March 4, 2015. The MP's released for this set are Nappa, Raditz, Tien, and Nail with Ally cards for the MP's of Set 1 with the exception of Zarbon and Dodoria of course. I know a lot of people we're looking forward to Broly getting his own MP set in the game but they felt he'd be too overpowered in terms of how he'd stack up to other characters in the game right now.

There hasn't been any word on Organized Play for the game since Set 2's announcement but rest assured they're working on it. Panini America acknowledges the fact that the distribution of Starters were handled poorly especially with the Orange Truck Lift fiasco as they plan on releasing pre-constructed decks in Starters down the road to help make it easier for players to get into the game without having to spend money on 6+ Starters to assemble a playable deck.

Man DBZ cards are back? I remember seeing packs on my store shelf when I used to live in Canada but never did get into those cards but I did watch the show when it was on YTV. It is like with TMNT. That show died now it is back. I don't know why but these 2 franchises cannot keep a solid run like Pokemon has and other popular cartoons and shows. I have not seen these have solid runs ever so far.:)

You'd be surprised, Dragon Ball Z Kai on Cartoon Network's Toonami block on Adult Swim has gotten a lot of positive TV ratings which along with the limited theatrical release of Battle of Gods in the U.S. last year and Revival of "F" in Japan recently has helped renew people's interest in the franchise. DBZ and Pokemon are pretty much the only Trading Card Games/Collectible Card Games that actually make you feel like you're apart of the source material while not very many Trading Card Games/Collectible Card Games were successful in capturing the spirit of it's own source material like those two Anime/Manga franchises have. This is diffrerent in the case of Weiss Schwarz since all Anime/Manga properties operate under one set of rules where Bushiroad doesn't have to make up a game for each property as If they don't already have enough on their plate as it is with Cardfight!! Vanguard and Future Card Buddyfight.

Score Entertainment made a lot of awful decisions going into the original run of the Dragon Ball Z CCG but between this and Yu Yu Hakusho they at least watched the show before making the game. It's too bad that they've resorted to semi-clones of their other games for InuYasha and Bleach. Nothing about the InuYasha TCG's gameplay made you feel like you were playing a game of that show aside from capturing "Jewel Shards", the Bleach TCG is a whole other story. The 2014 reboot of Score Entertainment's Dragon Ball Z CCG is a revival which doesn't happen very often however Dragon Ball Z will forever remain iconic compared to any Anime/Manga franchise or property in Weiss Schwarz. TMNT struggles to keep a solid run because of the neglect toward longtime fans of the series that grew up watching it back in the late 80's and early 90's like I have, same with Pokemon in terms of the Anime series.

To be honest I'm surprised they even bothered.

When I saw the re-release of the old cards I was surprised, but I honestly doubt I'd get back into it due to my hands being tied with other TCGs. I loved collecting them years ago and already have cards of my favorite characters.

If I see a decent offer/possible character I can base a deck around come out - sure I'll give it a try for old time's sake. My future TCG investments however are tied to Universal Fighting System though.

Panini recently announced on an official flier for Set 3: The Movie Collection expanded DBZ Organized Play, with high-level Regional and World Championship events throughout the year although it would've been nice If they had done something for local events as well. At least Panini is finally getting the "Dragon Ball" rolling with Organized Play yet they still don't have enough supply to keep with demand for this game which is unfortunate.

11050148_10153258135182360_1156819659173402065_n.jpg

Panini has just recently released Organized Play details for the 2014 Dragon Ball Z TCG on their Official Blog:

https://paniniamericadbz.wordpress....ay-overview-localregionalchampionship-events/

Panini America said:
Panini America is excited to announce the first year of advanced Organized Play (OP) for the Dragon Ball Z TCG! Starting in June, Regional Tournaments will begin at select stores across the United States. The first Regional Season will run until October, culminating in an invite-only Championship Tournament. On top of that, your local stores will have new opportunities for weekly/monthly events, with increasingly exciting prize support!

Here is a quick overview of what players and stores can expect:

Local Tournament Kits

Tournament kits have been available since the launch of the Premiere Set. They contain promo cards to be used as prizes for participation, and they rotate every six weeks (on average). Special kits for launch events contain additional prizes, such as play mats. If your store is new to hosting DBZ TCG events, contact [email protected] to sign up!

Regional Tournaments

There will be twelve Regional level events this season. In addition to considerable cash prizes, the top two performers at each event will receive an invitation to the Championship.

If your store would like to be considered for a Regional Tournament, the store owner/manager must email [email protected] with “Regional Application Request” in the subject and the location must meet the following criteria:
  • Adequate seating for 64+ players
  • Clean and inviting retail environment
  • Has an established DBZ TCG Community
  • Is signed up for monthly OP kits
  • Promotes community building and growth
  • Has experience with large TCG/CCG events
  • Submitted an application with required pictures on/prior to May 15th 2015
  • Is a verified Brick & Mortar retail store.
No applications will be accepted after May 15th, and only twelve stores in the United States will be selected. Submitted applications must be completely filled out, including all requested pictures.

Dragon Ball Z TCG Championship

The first Dragon Ball Z TCG Championship Tournament will be a 32 player invite-only event. You’ll be able to qualify for entrance by competing in various levels of OP events throughout the season, and it will take place in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in late 2015. The prizes include more cash, promotional cards, and other swag!

Gen Con Indy 2015

Panini will be hosting a qualifier tournament at Gen Con Indy 2015. The event takes place on Saturday, with the top 16 playing out on Sunday. Attendance is currently capped at 64 players. Finalists will receive an invite to the Championship, and the winner will have the opportunity to create a DBZ TCG card for a future release.

An official Tournament Guide will be posted before the first Regional of the season, and a detailed breakdown of the prize payouts is imminent. So, there you have it! Organized Play has been highly anticipated, but we hope it will be worth the wait. Hone your skills at local events, earn invites at Regionals, and show your final form at the Championship! The OP circuit will soon be in full effect – let’s make the first season an exciting one!

Back