2 things I've noticed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gale

Guess who's back (kinda)? Back again (kinda)
Ok, recently, I've noticed 2 problem's with the forums/its members.

1: I've noticed an extra large n00b problem. I noticed we're tackling the n00b problem with members that have already joined. What about members that have yet to join? Just the other day, some 55-year old women asked if she looked good in some clothing.... or what to wear when she sees her husband... I'm sorry, but this isn't a singles chat room. More importantly, this isn't a chat room at all. These are forums for people to have an intelligant conversation about Pokemon, or whatever else. Not about mature junk, spam, or whatever.

2: The 2nd thing I've noticed is the large amount of threads which people want to be stickied. Take, for instance, this one thread. It was for rating decks or if you're having trouble finding/making a good deck. I mean no offence to the person who made this, but, he just re-made the deck garage and combos and stratagies forums. Seriously, though, people are making stickable threads, but only stickable to the MAKER of the threads. Not to mods.

I'm just pointing these things out, and has anyone else noticed this? Its a mega-n00b/spam problem.

Yeah, I've seen an increasing amount of spam lately. I'm not saying that I haven't contributed to some of it, cuz I've spammed before. Really, everyone has at some point, but it has gotten a little out of hand lately.

Lol, another of this kind of threads. Yeah, I've seen it, be you've gotta learn to grin and bear it. What can we do? We can't make all the n00bs magically become good members; just give them some time to learn. I mean, not everyone came to the Internet speaking as well as they did now.

That weird person was taken care of nicely. I only allowed one of the threads to remain exposed because I editted it and linked it to the rules. As for members looking to get their threads stickied, don't make a thread just to get it stickied. Honestly, a stickied thread means nothing to the user that created it. The only thing an important thread does is prohibit it from being covered up by new threads (since it holds important information).

Absol said:
Lol, another of this kind of threads. Yeah, I've seen it, be you've gotta learn to grin and bear it. What can we do? We can't make all the n00bs magically become good members; just give them some time to learn. I mean, not everyone came to the Internet speaking as well as they did now.

True, but I'm thinking some people here think that this is a chat room. They just randomly post, which, IMO, is different from spam, because this time around, the spam is, well, different. As soon as a member join's now-a-days, they get banned like there's nothing to it!...

And KG: Right, that's what I'm trying to say! (About the threads part). I've seen SO many un-necessary threads that are MEANT to be stickied, but they're SO not needed... people are just trying to make stickied threads because it makes them look good! The OLD sticky threads were WORTHY of sticky, but threads that are MEANT to be stickied by the owner, aren't even CLOSE to being needed to be stickied.

In reality, stickied threads do nothing to a member's status (unless it is extremely useful and thoughtful). Actually, members who are crying for their threads to be stickied are n00bish. Veteran members could care less at who makes this thread and who makes that thread.

A lady came to the chat room asking how she looked in clothes? I think I speak for everyone on the forums when I say WTF?? (It's probly cencored but you know what I mean).

Silver said:
A lady came to the chat room asking how she looked in clothes? I think I speak for everyone on the forums when I say WTF?? (It's probly cencored but you know what I mean).

No, she came to the forums and asked it. But, I'm using the chat room as an example of what the forums are becomming...

Lol, there is a club for Spam Haters. All that will do is increase spam.

But anyway, PMJ especially has been working hard to stop spam before it can start (see the TCG question area). About increase of n00bs, well, there is nothing we can really do about it. We can't just Stop people from signing up for the PokéBeach Forums, and what, should we give them a test to see if there not a n00b? that would make Pokebeach turn into one big club. All we can do is report them to mods. Just the other day I go a PM on where someone wanted to post a thread.

Theres nothing we can really do to stop the noob problem, i remember when i fist joined i was very confused about where to post stuff and what should be posted!! I got some direction by senior noobnerd and that really helped me alot!! I have noticed alot of people wanting stickies and i think some maybe worth it but i think most of them arnt, theres a differnce between a hot thread and sticky that people just cant seem to find!!

I didn't really have to learn much...after my step brother got ban I knew what to do and what not to do. :p

this was my first forum so i knew nothing, and i didnt have someone who had something like this! 1 quick question if u get banned can you just create a new acount or are u banned were u cant enter the site?

If your ban for any legnth of time (Not including permanent) If you creat a new acount then you going to get a permanent ban meaning you can't do anything on the forum.

Bingo. If you get tempbanned, just take the ban. PB forums are not your life. You can find something else to do for the 3 days/week/whatever you are banned for. Anyone found to have made another account during their ban gets a permanent ban.

And like others have said, the noob problem is a problem that will never be solved, ever, no matter how much anyone wants it to. This is why WPM's plan, should he implement it, will never work. :)

Having a ban brother has it's advantages :D But um...are you set to invisible or something? Just a random question.

Ahhh. Somebodys going of topic on a discussion of using the forums as a chat room. Not a good sign =/. On my forum, there were many threads about "This whole site is dying!". That didn't help our reputation, nor the problem of i dying. In fact, usually it wasn't. Face it guys, there are so many of these threads that instead of complaining, we can be reporting people and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back