(1) M Venusaur-EX from ‘XY Collections’ Revealed! [11/7]

I actually see some potential with this along with Muscle Band (also revealed: Each of the attacks of the Pokémon this card is attached to does 20 more damage to the Active Pokémon before applying Weakness and Resistance) and Virbank. That means that this would deal 170 damage along with the lock. I doubt that this will be that good though without the right support. As previous members have said the only thing it really has going for it is the 230 HP.

Also Tailow was also leaked and it has this ability: Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may have your opponent switch his or her Active Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon.

For what we have currently, yes, it seems really good. However we don't know what else we will be getting with XY, and this is just the first set.

Better get used to megaevolving though.

I... WHAT?!

I feel like if you get this out, you win, but it's going to be very hard to get out. With Virbank, Crisis Vine can KO an EX going into your turn. By the time you've powered up a M Venusaur EX, your opponent is going to be low on Switches, so you can just KO EX's after EX's until you've won. And 230HP? It's impossible to OHKO this thing, unless you get a giant--and I mean GIANT--Keldeo/Mewtwo/Yveltal. So you need to set up 2 attackers to KO this thing, while also drawing into enough Switches to stop this thing sweeping your whole field.

But as I said, it's going to be very hard to get out. 4 Grass is ridiculous. Especially if you have to spend 1 turn Mega Evolving your Pokemon. I foresee a lot of Energy Switching being needed to power one up. People are going to need to start playing either Virizion, or 4 Switch and an Escape Rope or 2 in every deck. Keldeo EX/Float Stone might also work, but just gives them 2 free prizes.

Also, the giant text on the artwork looks really stupid. You can barely see Venusaur behind it.

EDIT: Counter Stadiums will also be big. They stop Crisis Vine from KOing your EX's going into their turn.

RogueChomp said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to tell you the source, but just check places you'd expect to find Pokemon news, and you should find it.

BTW, Muscle Band is overly powerful. Like, why wouldn't you play that thing? Also, it's Swellow, not Tailow.

I sort of like the ideal of the attack name in artwork since it reminds me of a comic book, but I don't like it here. It sticks out like a sore thumb and it just doesn't flow with the rest of the card.

Four Arms said:
I... WHAT?!

I feel like if you get this out, you win, but it's going to be very hard to get out. With Virbank, Crisis Vine can KO an EX going into your turn. By the time you've powered up a M Venusaur EX, your opponent is going to be low on Switches, so you can just KO EX's after EX's until you've won. And 230HP? It's impossible to OHKO this thing, unless you get a giant--and I mean GIANT--Keldeo/Mewtwo/Yveltal. So you need to set up 2 attackers to KO this thing, while also drawing into enough Switches to stop this thing sweeping your whole field.

Victini-EX+Muscle Band* or HypnoBank//G-Booster+HypnoBank//BKEX+HypnoBank//Reshiram*//Reshiram-EX*//Infernape*//Blaziken*//Charizard*//Entei-EX+Muscle Band AND HypnoBank*...

*:In the case of Fire Weak Venusaur.

Yeah, sure, there is absolutely no way to OHKO Mega-EX's. ;)

Luispipe8 said:
Four Arms said:
I... WHAT?!

Victini-EX+Muscle Band* or HypnoBank//G-Booster+HypnoBank//BKEX+HypnoBank//Reshiram*//Reshiram-EX*//Infernape*//Blaziken*//Charizard*//Entei-EX+Muscle Band AND HypnoBank*...

*:In the case of Fire Weak Venusaur.

Yeah, sure, there is absolutely no way to OHKO Mega-EX's. ;)

I meant things people actually played. And you'd be playing Virizion with Mega Venusaur, so the Hypno/Bank stuff wouldn't work. Although actually, if this card becomes popular, Emboar/Rayquaza might make a comeback, which has both Rayquaza EX and Reshiram to OHKO Venusaur.

if this card becomes popular, Emboar/Rayquaza might make a comeback,

Emboar/Rayquaza might make a comeback,

Emboar/Rayquaza

1zztcoj.gif

though I do wish Ray-Eels was back in format.

RogueChomp said:
DNA said:
I'm more concerned about what this card implies than what it does. Okay, so it isn't broken (supposedly) in today's meta, but then what? Does that mean that M-Evolutions are just going to get bigger from here on out? Is this just a foretaste of what is to come? Has the game royally screwed itself over?

Remember when Mewtwo-EX was revealed? Everyone thought it would be broken and the only counter would be another Mewtwo. And they were right - Mewtwo had a stranglehold on the format all the way up to Plasma Storm.

Mewtwo EX was completely different. It was/is fast, strong, splashable, and consistent. Mega Evolutions won't be fast, splashable, or consistent, although they may be strong.
The only way Mega Evos will be good is if a deck is based around it.

You're sorely underestimating the ease of getting a Mega Evo out. It's easier to get out than a regular stage 1, and you don't need to build a deck entirely around a certain basic to evolve it to stage 1.

Here's to hoping the actual card looks better than that image..

and that it doesn't say "Crisis Vine" on the art..

GamerXYZ said:
RogueChomp said:
Mewtwo EX was completely different. It was/is fast, strong, splashable, and consistent. Mega Evolutions won't be fast, splashable, or consistent, although they may be strong.
The only way Mega Evos will be good is if a deck is based around it.

You're sorely underestimating the ease of getting a Mega Evo out. It's easier to get out than a regular stage 1, and you don't need to build a deck entirely around a certain basic to evolve it to stage 1.

Are you kidding me? >.> It is NOTHING like a Stage 1. Stage 1s don't end you turn, fyi. Mid-Game, how will you set up another MegaEvo? Mega evolving? Oops, turn ended. Chances are, you will NOT be able to MegaEvo T1. Some may argue differently, but deep down, unless Tpci is trying to be insane, we all know that it is only reasonable to not be able to Mega Evo turn 1.

Also, you do have to build an entire deck around MegaEvos (so far, but the trend is likely to continue). Stage 1s like Drifblim and Electrode are easy to use, heck, even Flareon is easier to use. Garbodor is easy to set up as well. MegaEvos are NOT easy to set up what-so-ever. Even if you can Mega Evo T1 with MegaSaur, you will likely have a T3 attack at best, if you hit everything. Even if you get that T3 attack, what happens after they KO your Mega Evo (in 2 hits usually)? You have another one set up? Wow, you must be double attaching! Cause 4 energy doesn't simply come out of nowhere.

Nothing in this game needs over 200HP

Why do mega pokemon exes need to even exist? Yea, not coming back to this game until ex dominance and power creep chills out.

230 HP.
120 attack that always Paralyzes and Poisons.

Brb, need to go change my pants.

Raigetsu said:
Welp, good thing I don't play, just collect.

Not really a good thing, as if this layout for megas is standard they'll all look pretty bad.

It just hurts to read some of these comments.

News flash: The TCG has abysmally low HP scores. Especially because the attacks aren't low and Weakness does double damage (and are really a tenth of what is printed - we always deal with even units of 10 so 200 is really just 20). Most of the TCG HP scores only make sense if the Pokémon in question is like level 30.

I wish there was a magical fix like tripling all HP scores (instead of say the rule changes we are given), but that would still be pretty hit or miss. When it comes to designing new cards, however, upping HP gives Pokémon more turns in play. Sounds scary if you think that just applies to Pokémon-EX but becomes nice when you remember that it applies to Evolving Basic Pokémon as well. The game becomes a lot better if going for that quick hit just isn't a good use of an attack early game; when you need to set-up because you just can't mindlessly bash your way through.

I seriously am growing tired of "Oh... 230 HP is sooo broken!" Evolving into this Pokémon ends your turn. Every time you want to get a copy in play, your turn is ending without an attack (or use of Tropical Beach), and you can't Evolve more than one at a time, either (the first will end your turn, preventing anymore). This means your opponent gets a free attack.

People keep trying to do two contrary tactics: either you combo heavily to turn the attack into a OHKO or you go for soft lock, but you cannot do both at the same time. For the resources needed for the OHKO... I think I'd rather use VirGen, or just about any already established deck. Plus as you'll lose an attack, you'll need to score a OHKO of a Pokémon-EX just to break even!

TL;DR: I strongly question the claims being made in this thread.

So it's as different from Pokemon-Lv.X as it could possibly be... Heh, I was wrong. Pleasantly surprised the Pokemon doesn't have to be active, which makes Mega Evolutions much more powerful. As much as I dislike massive amounts of HP on things, I think Mega Evolutions will be fairly balanced, though not as difficult to use as some predict.

While it may be true that M-Venusaur-EX isn't the destroyer people think it is...

News flash: The TCG has abysmally low HP scores.
There is so much wrong with this statement I have no idea where to begin.

DNA said:
While it may be true that M-Venusaur-EX isn't the destroyer people think it is...

News flash: The TCG has abysmally low HP scores.
There is so much wrong with this statement I have no idea where to begin.

I believe he means compared to the VGC, but then it's a stupid comment.

Anyway, I don't think it is that good. Unless M Blastoise EX is good, this will not be played all that much. Losing the rest of your turn sucks, and when you can't actually afford to power up 2 Megas you'll actually be having a hard time drawing into them. This is due to the fact it ends your turn. You can't evolve and then play a Juniper. And after the first one goes down you can't afford to lose another turn. PCL actually designed something rather well here, despite it's looks. (Oh and if it was Poison + Confuse the card would suck a lot).

Also Reshiram could come back. Maybe.

Back