(1) Final Drawing of Orotto, More Trailer Details [7/17]

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
I'm sad now; it looks more like Grass/Dark now than anything else. I really hope it isn't.

You went to see the movie two more times?
You'll do anything for a chance at getting the biggest news, won't you? |3
hahah

Ohman177

Aspiring Trainer
I don't see how they could improve on this design besides maybe more foliage. But the whole point is for him to be a dead tree I think so that would just go against the idea. They could maybe make him thicker with more arms. As for a pre-evo, it's plausible. Maybe that could be the nymph who lived its life in the tree watching as people destroyed the forest until it got fed up, picked up it's roots, and has decided to seek revenge. But I'm thinking no family.

jstar21

Team Froakie & Goomy
Jakeremix said:
Raptor9229 said:
Or it could be the first pokemon in its evolutionary family and the whole family evolves late.

If its final form is that of a giant redwood like pokemon then yeah (that is if it does evolve)

Also there are three stage pokemon that evolve later than level 20.

Yeah, I can't really imagine what an evolution would look like. For now, I'll probably call it a standalone, but it it has an evolution I'm sure it'll be awesome.

I'm leaning more towards standalone pokemon, but then again most of us got so used to those ridiculously high leveled evolutions of the Gen 5 pokemon that I almost forgot that most pokemon evolve between lvl 16-30. I hope it does have a pre-evolution because I would be kinda upset if I have to train a 2 stage pokemon to lvl 45 for it to evolve.

Raptor9229

Aspiring Dragon Trainer
jstar21 said:
Jakeremix said:
Yeah, I can't really imagine what an evolution would look like. For now, I'll probably call it a standalone, but it it has an evolution I'm sure it'll be awesome.

I'm leaning more towards standalone pokemon, but then again most of us got so used to those ridiculously high leveled evolutions of the Gen 5 pokemon that I almost forgot that most pokemon evolve between lvl 16-30. I hope it does have a pre-evolution because I would be kinda upset if I have to train a 2 stage pokemon to lvl 45 for it to evolve.

Ponyta evolves at level forty so that is an example of an evolution that happens late. A good deal of two state pokemon actually evolve later than level thirty. which is why it is not unbelieveable that orotto could still have an evolution.

jstar21

Team Froakie & Goomy
Raptor9229 said:
jstar21 said:

Ponyta evolves at level forty so that is an example of an evolution that happens late. A good deal of two state pokemon actually evolve later than level thirty. which is why it is not unbelieveable that orotto could still have an evolution.

I know there are a few cases like Ryhorn, Wailmer and Ponyta as you said. I just feel that Gen 5 went a little overboard with all the high evolution levels. I never minded having to train to level 40 for a 2 stage pokemon, but Gen 5 had Deino, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby and Larvesta all at or above level 50 to evolve and I thought that was kinda silly.

Whitefire

Don't Hold It Against Us
http://pokebeach.com/news/0713/orotto.jpg

Just doesn't look like it'll have an evo to me.

Anyway, it's neat. I liked how theyre trying to keep the good ideas coming instead of what was 4th/5th, with a few good ones and a bunch of "... /why/"

Have you guys memorized the movie yet? No? GO TO ANOTHER.

garbodorable

Aspiring Trainer
I'm hoping it's Grass/Ghost as well, if only because they've introduced so many Dark types already this gen. Pangoro, Inkay, Malimar, Yveltal, Chespin's evolution...

Bogleech

Aspiring Trainer
I definitely expect dark over ghost here, the design just feels more like it's a solid, tangible pokemon than a ghost or even a ghost inhabiting a tree, but we'll see, ghost would definitely be cool.

Geomancer

White Light Majesty
A wood nymph counterpart would be awesome, and a great excuse to slip in another fairy type. I agree that he looks like a standalone Pokemon, as well. We already have the Cacturne and Shiftry lines for grass/dark types, and X and Y seem to be introducing a lot of new type combos, so I'd say there's a good chance for him to be grass/ghost...or at least I hope so, a haunted tree is a great concept.

Jakeremix

I wanna be the very best~
Geomancer said:
A wood nymph counterpart would be awesome, and a great excuse to slip in another fairy type. I agree that he looks like a standalone Pokemon, as well. We already have the Cacturne and Shiftry lines for grass/dark types, and X and Y seem to be introducing a lot of new type combos, so I'd say there's a good chance for him to be grass/ghost...or at least I hope so, a haunted tree is a great concept.

I completely forgot about Shifty! I wonder why GF decided to release two Grass/Dark lines in the same generation...

Ohman177

Aspiring Trainer
Geomancer said:

My thoughts exactly! They could even fit it into the rumored exclusive pokemon themes. Orotto being in Y only because it's evil and his wood nymph counterpart being X only because of she's pure and fairy (couldn't think of the words :p).

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
This drawing doesn't look very Pokemon-like, and IDK why. I am excited to hear its type, hopefully it's something interesting like Grass/Ghost.

Geomancer

White Light Majesty
Ohman177 said:
My thoughts exactly! They could even fit it into the rumored exclusive pokemon themes. Orotto being in Y only because it's evil and his wood nymph counterpart being X only because of she's pure and fairy (couldn't think of the words :p).
I really hope that the idea of X having more good/fairy types and Y having more evil/dark types comes into fruition somewhat. It would be really cool for the different versions to have themes that you could really feel while playing them, so each one would be more of a unique experience.

viper.fox

色違いピジョット
Bolt the Cat said:
This drawing doesn't look very Pokemon-like, and IDK why. I am excited to hear its type, hopefully it's something interesting like Grass/Ghost.

I can't replicate Sugimori style, so... ;)

AtmosphericThunder

Artist
viper.fox said:
Bolt the Cat said:

A lot of people don't seem to realize that you guys have been drawing these from looking at a quick scene in a trailer. Even seeing it 3 times would be insufficient for most people to remember what it looked like.

You did fantastic job on the drawing in general, but only time will tell us how well you captured the Pokemon itself!

To be honest, I'd be happy if your drawing is as accurate as you think. It looks like a haunted tree, and you'd think we would have gotten one a lot earlier. At least it looks promising!

slashman41

Aspiring Trainer
AtmosphericThunder said:
viper.fox said:

A lot of people don't seem to realize that you guys have been drawing these from looking at a quick scene in a trailer. Even seeing it 3 times would be insufficient for most people to remember what it looked like.

You did fantastic job on the drawing in general, but only time will tell us how well you captured the Pokemon itself!

To be honest, I'd be happy if your drawing is as accurate as you think. It looks like a haunted tree, and you'd think we would have gotten one a lot earlier. At least it looks promising!

Indeed. The style doesn't matter at all. This drawing is amazing, considering you've only seen the thing for nine combined seconds.