> Landorus and Machamp Prime

Gym Leader

Offline Somewhere :(

RE: Landorus and Machamp Prime

You just listed 4-5 cards. You need 2 energy in the opening hand for it to work. Furthermore, you can't use a supporter to get any of these. Again, needing over half of your opening hand to be a set group of unsearchable cards means you need an ideal opening hand. Not to mention you need a pretty big bench pretty quickly, and you need one specific Pokemon to be your starter.

Magnezone decks do run second attackers - Yanmega, Tornadus, Zekrom, RDL, and Reshiram are all capable of an even to favorable prize exchange against your Landorus. And it's not exactly easy to swarm the things when you need three energy to do do damage with them.

Do you mind explaining why Catcher is easier on this deck than it is on DonChamp?

Magneboar makes a very good point about the average setup time of a deck in this format.
12-09-2011 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Gym Trainer

(12-09-2011 07:53 AM)Celebi23 Wrote:  You just listed 4-5 cards. You need 2 energy in the opening hand for it to work. Furthermore, you can't use a supporter to get any of these. Again, needing over half of your opening hand to be a set group of unsearchable cards means you need an ideal opening hand. Not to mention you need a pretty big bench pretty quickly, and you need one specific Pokemon to be your starter.

Magnezone decks do run second attackers - Yanmega, Tornadus, Zekrom, RDL, and Reshiram are all capable of an even to favorable prize exchange against your Landorus. And it's not exactly easy to swarm the things when you need three energy to do do damage with them.

Do you mind explaining why Catcher is easier on this deck than it is on DonChamp?

Magneboar makes a very good point about the average setup time of a deck in this format.
See last part of post on why there isn't a lot that is needed to be in your opening hand.

The secondary attackers your talking about can all be OHKO by Machamp and all but one of them can't OHKO Machamp.

Landorus has 1 retreat cost unlike Donphans 3 which is why catcher isn't as bad for this deck.

Lets take a look at the set up for this deck T1 Landous Active and Machop on Bench discard a fighting energy via Sage's , Juniper, Junk Arm, and attach a fighting energy to Landorus for abundant harvest and end T1 with 2 energy on landorus. T2 Attach 3rd Fighting energy to landorus and candy to Machamp use cards like dual ball, great ball, collector, and communication to fill bench end T2 wilth Gaia Hammer. T3 attach to Landorus or Machamp and use Fighting Tag Champ Buster for any where from 110-150 depending on how many bench pokemon were placed the turn before end T3. I was only saying you should have a second Machamp by turn 4 not that the deck is set up for attacking turn 4.
12-09-2011 10:14 AM

Gym Leader

A smart Magnezone player will go out of their way to remove your Machamp from play, then clean up from there. You promote Machamp and OHKO my secondary attacker for four energy, I promote Magnezone and Lost Burn three. That's a pretty uneven exchange. Not to mention that these secondary attackers can take a very early prize lead against you.

One thing you should always do is check the stats of cards before making posts. Posting inaccurate information like you just did tells me you definitely haven't played with DonChamp at all, or any Donphan variant for that matter, and therefore invalidates a large amount of your argument. While Donphan may have a much larger retreat cost (not three, though), it also has a much cheaper attack. If you Catcher Donphan and don't KO it, you're still going to be taking pressure from my attacks. Landorus, on the other hand, needs three energy on him to start doing damage. Besides, a smart player will never Catcher your support attackers. They'll Catcher the Machamps and remove them from play, or they'll Catcher easy prizes to maintain a cheap but even prize exchange. But that's beside my point. Both of these decks are horribly vulnerable to Catcher. That's what matters. It doesn't matter if one is somewhat less vulnerable than the other.

The irony here is that the scenario you described is the exact same one I would use to prove you won't ever get this setup in a timely manner. You need two basics in your opening hand, two energy, a very specific supporter, and again the list goes on. After playing this game for a long time in most of its recent formats, you'll realize just how resource-light the average attacker has to be. It's almost impossible to get two Stage 2's out by T4, not to mention four energy by T2 and a full bench.
12-09-2011 04:28 PM

Seasoned Trainer

To use another example, a deck like Magneboar, with built in draw, energy acceleration, and a higher damage count, is considered to no longer be a serious part of the competitive picture at this time (although you'll probably still run into a small smattering of them). The big reason for that is how difficult it was to get everything online and Emboar's vulnerability to Catcher.

(12-28-2011 07:00 AM)Serperior Wrote:  Where are the other Grass-types!? Don't say Vileplume...that annoying tulip doesn't count.

My Rep Thread +2|My Trades
12-11-2011 02:40 PM

♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢

Gone on Vacation :o

Well, Machamp is weak to Psychic, and Landorus is weak to water types.
So I'd watch out for those mainly.
Upon looking through scans to find these cards, I noticed a few possibly formidable opponents in the HGSS format, I will list them here:
1. Shiny Lugia
2. Shiny Deoxys
3. Lugia LEGEND (both halves)
4. Ho-oh LEGEND (both halves)
I may be fairly new to the trading card game, but I know for a fact that all of the Pokémon listed above are extremely powerful from watching the movies. Ho-oh may not be a psychic type or a water type, but it is a very powerful Pokémon indeed, this one especially, as it can do 100 damage in one attack.
Hope I could help.

BALLIN, MUST PLAY HOOPS. ALL OF THE TIME.
12-13-2011 11:26 PM

Gym Leader

^None of those Pokémon are used. At all. The best cards in the TCG rarely reflect the best cards in the VG/movies, and when they do it's mostly by chance.
(12-11-2011 02:40 PM)Magnevire Wrote:  To use another example, a deck like Magneboar, with built in draw, energy acceleration, and a higher damage count, is considered to no longer be a serious part of the competitive picture at this time (although you'll probably still run into a small smattering of them). The big reason for that is how difficult it was to get everything online and Emboar's vulnerability to Catcher.
I think the main reason Magneboar stopped seeing play is because Eelzone is simply a better version of it. You get Thunderus, who fits the deck much better than Reshiram fits Magneboar, and you also get Zekrom to literally replace Reshiram's role. Furthermore, Eel is faster to get out and you don't have to worry about split energy.

It was also very competitive all the way through Regionals. It was just very under-represented. It managed to get a Seniors win, and I believe a 2nd in masters along with two top 8's, but I'm too lazy to check the thread.

But yes, your point that Magneboar is slow is very valid, and is only further proven by Eelektrik replacing Emboar. Emboar is obviously better, but because Eel is faster, it's much more widely used.
12-13-2011 11:51 PM