• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Angry Gyarados - An Old Favorite

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
So I've been messing around with AOR Gyarados for a little while and it's a really fun deck. I just don't really know what I should run alongside it. Please keep in mind I just play Pokemon casually, as in I only play PTCGO and don't intend to play this IRL. That means I have a limited budget and expensive cards are hard to get as I don't have a lot. I've been trying to get a Lele through packs as I'll never be able to trade for one, but no luck. Heck, I only got my second Shaymin less than 3 weeks ago after making do for so long with a single Shaymin. That said though, I still want to have a decent deck that isn't stupidly inconsistent at times.

Here's the list: ****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
* 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 4 Magikarp CIN 17
* 2 Regice AOR 24
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22
* 4 Gyarados AOR 21

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 2 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Lysandre AOR 78
* 2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 2 Teammates PRC 141
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 N NVI 92
* 4 Team Magma's Secret Base DCR 32
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 4 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 2 Muscle Band XY 121
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 8

* 2 Water Energy BLWEnergy 9
* 2 Splash Energy BKP 113
* 4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

For those who don't know the deck, the idea is to damage benched Magikarps with Magma's Secret Base to increase the damage of Gyarados' attack, Full Retaliation. The attack does 30 damage for a DCE plus 30 more for each damage counter on your benched Magikarp. With stadium in play and 2 Magikarps damaged by the stadium, you hit for 150 without a choice band/other damage modifiers. The Magikarp I play has an ability to protect against Koko spread damage which is really nice. It does struggle with damage counter placement though.
What do you guys think? All suggestions welcome.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
My advice? Play nothing!
-2 Vulpix
-2 Alolan Ninetales GX
-2 Regice
-2 Splash Energy
-2 Aqua Patch
-2 Water energy
-2 Super Rod

+3 Rescue Stretcher
+3 Rescue Scarf
+2 Choice Band
+2 Energy Loto
+1 Muscle Band
+1 Choice Band
+1 Ultra Ball
+1 Comupter Search/Master Ball

That's what I think see ya.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
My advice? Play nothing!
-2 Vulpix
-2 Alolan Ninetales GX
-2 Regice
-2 Splash Energy
-2 Aqua Patch
-2 Water energy
-2 Super Rod

+3 Rescue Stretcher
+3 Rescue Scarf
+2 Choice Band
+2 Energy Loto
+1 Muscle Band
+1 Choice Band
+1 Ultra Ball
+1 Comupter Search/Master Ball

That's what I think see ya.

I’ll work on getting computer search. The thing I find difficult though is the deck seems to be a lot less consistent. Perhaps tweaking it to fit Skyla would help? Other things I’m considering are fitting in Tapu Koko for spread damage and free retreat and possibly Life Dew. If I get a couple Flying Flips off while I set up and I have all 4 Karps in deck, I can hit for 210. Add Rescue Scarf into the mix, and that’s a decent combo. 210 damage for DCE that comes right back and gives no prizes.
I wish I had all the nice stuff online but I don’t. I’ll keep grinding and see what happens.

Gyarados11

Researcher
Another thing to consider is a 1-1 octillery, that might help with some of the consistency problems.

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
However having ability based draw on the board can improve your consistency over the game as a whole.
It definitely can, but I just feel like it's too risky with a 1-1 line. I've been playing with Lele in the list as I finally got one and that has been working fairly well.