• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Garchomp/Lucario Help Needed!

Lord Charizard

Aspiring Trainer
So I’ve been playing this deck since the Ultra Prism sneak, but cannot for the life of me get this thing to run consistently, and decided to post here and see if anyone had any advice, so, without further ado, here’s my list as it currently stands:

Pokemon:17

4 Gible (FBL)
2 Gabite (FBL)
2 Garchomp (ULP)
2 Garchomp (FBL)
2 Riolu
2 Lucario
1 Buzzwole
1 Diancie Prism Star
1 Tapu Lele-GX

Items:18

4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
2 Nest Ball
2 Pal Pad
2 Rescue Stretcher
2 Timer Ball
1 Choice Band
1 Field Blower

Supporters:11

4 Cynthia
3 Apricorn Maker
2 Guzma
1 Lillie
1 Tate & Liza

Stadiums:2

2 Brooklet Hill

Energy:12

8 Fighting Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

Side note: I went with an even 2-2 split on Garchomp as we have 2 Leafeon players, a Golisopod player, a damage spread player, and a Gardy player at my LGS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played this deck for around 2 months so I have some experience with it.

- 1 Buzzwole GX
-1 Shrine Of Punishment
-2 Choice Band
-2 Acro Bike
-1 Tate and Liza

+1 Gabite
+1 Lillie
+2 Timer Ball
+ 3 Apricorn Maker

Why drop Buzzwole altogether over swapping for its baby form?

And 3 Apricorn Maker? I understand it meshes well with all the Ball cards in this deck, but I had gone light on Supporters to avoid deadlockijg Cynthiaa.

-1 Gabite
-1 Buzzwole GX
-1 Shrine of Punishment
-1 Rescue Stretcher
-1 Timer Ball
-1 Field Blower

+2 Brooklet Hill
+1-1 Lucario
+2 Lillie

Some minor changes to try out. The goal is T2 Garchomp. Lillie is excellent T1. I'd suggest upping your energy counts (missing an attachment can be fatal) and adding SUM Oranguru, but space is a major issue. Brooklet Hill is awesome in here. 3-3 Lucario is quite thick, but it's your engine.

I’ve never seen a 4-1-4 line for a main attacker, but this has been suggested twice, why is that?

I thought about swapping Buzzwole-GX for it’s baby form, and you’re right, 3-3 Lucario line is very clunky, :(

But I’m going to give both of these a try, and see what comes up in testing.

Why drop Buzzwole altogether over swapping for its baby form?

And 3 Apricorn Maker? I understand it meshes well with all the Ball cards in this deck, but I had gone light on Supporters to avoid deadlockijg Cynthiaa.
with Lucario that shouldn't be a problem. and I agree with you, you should add baby buzz. I just wasn't thinking about it

By deadlockijg I mean I am finding myself in situations that in order to take a KO, I’d need to play 2 Supporter cards, but waiting til that next turn is too late, :(

Fortunately, only 1 Zoro”X” runs Weakness Policy to counter the Garchomps and Buzzwoles floating around, so there’s that. After testing, I do like Apricorn Maker, and at 3 I do see it enough to where I’m not even always forced to Lele turn 1, which I like in case I need that emergency Cynthia/Guzma and Lucario is gone. :)

Anything from Lost Thunder I should pick up?

Already got Adventure Bag and Sightseer to replace Order Pad and Sophocles in my RotoRat deck.

Sure if I was playing a dragon type build, Lance Prism Star isn’t too effective in a deck that only has 1-2 dragon type Pokemon. I have been tinkering with a dragon build with Altaria and Mysterious Treasure but not working out too well, :(

Would Ditto Prism Star be worth using?

You put 2 dragon garchomps and 2 fighting ones. Once one of your Gibles are knocked out then run lance and you have 2 garchomps on the bench. Much smoother set up along with the candies

Most of the time it’s only 1 Garchomp, and in 90% of my games I’d only get 1 Garchomp, don’t get me wrong, it’s a fun card, but I can’t get good li, 8/10 times it just gets discarded or prized, and 1/10 each go to nabbing 1 or 2 with it. I can give it another go with the mods I’m using now, but not expecting too much :)

I'm curious how much Garchomp/Lucario Decks have evolved like, now that we have Dragon's Majesty.

I'd say Garchomp/Lucario is still a very decent deck. I keep one together on standby when i wanna play something that isnt heavily reliant on EX/GX.

If you add in Lance and some other Dragon supportive cards to the deck (at the cost of losing diance prism as it wont power up dragon type garchomp) I wonder if it feels improved?

Been contemplating playing this for an upcoming expanded format league challenge...

Also one thing that is really really helpful is exp share, so you don’t have to double attach on each grachomp and since decks are now playing 0 or 1 field blower, it’s really nice in this particular deck. It means sacrificing some damage, but that’s why some decks play shrine as well for that really nice 210 if Diancy is prized or to hit 240 with threat of hitting the 250 on the way back.

Last edited:
One fun thing I have been experimenting with is Lance + Kommo-o GX + Super Boost Energy Prism. Dropping an emergency monster with a nuke of a GX attack is really cool. Get at least 2 Lucario out, and let the fool KO your setup Alolan Vulpix, and drop a surprise on em to eat them.

I also highly recommend Experience Share in the deck. I haven't even needed Choice Band, really, since Shrine hits the other numbers I need to on the turn change (mainly 210), or just spreads.

Super Boost Energy Prism only work when you have 3 or more Stage 2's... Lucario is a stage 1... but I get what your laying down..

I like the idea... Lance has worked good in Dragonite GX decks with the same energy...

Space is too cramped to add anything more than a teched Lance, and while that list looks fun I do not play Expanded at all, :(

As for Exp. Share, I’ve actually been considering that or Wishful Baton, whichever I had the most of. The only concern there is at my local shops, whose meta I’m most often exposed to, while Field Blower is indeed at 1 most times, everyone runs it, and some run Labs too...

Back