TAG TEAM Pokemon-GX Revealed -- "Pikachu & Zekrom-GX!'

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Not really certain how I feel about this just yet. With Zeroara GX and all the electric support in recent/upcoming expansions, this is looking to be fairly strong.

That being said, it still gets outsped by things like Ray/Zeraora GX (more specifically, out pressured) and Ray has no problem OHKOing something like this. Needing 3 energy to attack also makes it not that hard to OHKO from the POV of Gardevoir GX, which seems to have the potential to make a come back post rotation.

There are pros and cons just like every card still. Tag Team is far from an autowin, but I'm also not certain how I feel about 3 prize KOs potentially becoming the standard for the game from a general pacing & enjoyment perspective.

My gut tells me that I would rather have had Tag Team with non-GXs who also net 2 prizes when KO'd, but are immune to the effects of things like Hoopa and Necrozma GX's GX attack.

I also feel like Tag Team would be much more interesting if it was dual type tag teams instead of mono type.

We'll see where it goes, but I never want to see a format where taking 2 Tag Team KOs is the standard.

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
I don't like this either... Yes, there are ways to work around this particular card, but I really don't like the mechanic. 3 prizes + basic will just lead to way faster games and more movement to just strongest basics. I like the GX mechanic because it at least introduced some viable evolution cards. Whoever gets the strongest basic out first doesn't make a great game at all imo.

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
Give me Raichu and Alolan Raichu and I'll forgive them.
Then again, I don't really play, so my collectors itch is tickling.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Eh... I’m not impressed. Every time we cards like these they usually end up being more trouble than they’re worth. I only remember a two Pokemon LEGENDs ever getting top placement in competitive (Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND and Suicune & Entei LEGEND being the two). That said, there’s a VERY good chance there will be some of these Tag Team GXs that may be top-tier competitive.

Also, am I the only one that’s bothered by the use of the phrase “Let’s Go-era” here?

Lechu v 2017

Pokemon connoisseur
I have to say, I'm looking forward to it because I'm a collector, but I'm not looking forward to the price tag!

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
Weedle and caterpie tag please....please!!

Or the inevitable awesomeness that a charizard blastoise tag will be.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
well this confirms the next set is the end of the ultra beast era as well as marks our rotation pivot though i imagine there will only be 2 tag teams a set hopefully they bring a new kind of mechanic as well

Jacob Marshall

psyking5k
I get the feeling that Tag Team GX cards will be the sort of thing you either base a whole deck around, or don't play at all, if you want to do well. I'm also kinda hoping this is just a short lived gimmick that only lasts for a block of sets (think of the XY dual type cards, Pokémon BREAK, all of that sort of thing).

One other thing I've noticed, and this could just be me (or even just my wishful thinking), but I feel like this isn't the complete card? When they announced GX cards for the first time they hid some of the details on the cards, and then when Ultra Beasts and the whole "Red GX" thing were announced, they were kind of vague on the details. So I'm personally kinda hoping there's more to these than what they've shown thus far.

Ashblaze

Full Art Supporter Hunter
Somehow three prizes makes sense in my head somehow, cause think a normal zekrom card and a normal pikachu card, each gives one prize card and a zekrom gx gives 2 because it’s a gx pokemon and it adds one more prize than the normal so if pikachu and zekrom go into the same card it’s going to add to three because 1 for pikachu, 1 for zekrom, and 1 for gx making three, also it makes me think of the two synchronizing power as one so three prizes would makes sense (I will be happy if someone understood my thought (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧)

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Everyone's freaking out over the Tag Team thing, but I'm more offended this is our third straight set with 180+ cards. lmao

ParPar

Bug Catcher
Honestly, I don't hate this too much. People are still going to play around the "7 prize game" even more now, but with stronger pokemon. This mean Guzma and Counter catcher become even stronger, as being able to choose what you want to hit is even more important when your opponent wants to force you to take more prizes than needed.

My biggest problems with this card don't come from this card, it comes from the interactions it has with other cards. The Lightning stadium drops the energy cost to 2 lightning for a 3 charge (from deck) and 150 damage. That's just absolutely ridiculous. This is also not a pokemon that non-fighting decks are going to be able to one shot (without one of their own) So what you have is not only a possible 2 energy attacker that loads three more energies, but a partner for electric magnezone that can be acerola'd without a care. Really scary stuff in a coming format that we assumed would be slowing down.