Resource Forum Games Resources & General Discussion

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
@PMJ has volunteered to host Mafia LIII! That game should be starting sometime shortly after GM Draclord's game.

We are still accepting applications, and I want to personally thank both PMJ and GM Draclord for their applications, you two are awesome!!!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
47V1.gif

Make sure to bring your friends to this magical game. It's gonna be dope.

quakingpunch73

At The Beach
Would anyone be interested in co-hosting mafia with me? PM me here or on discord and we can discuss ideas for a great set-up!

Blinkehyo

Aspiring Trainer
Would a forum game about "things you'd never hear in a pokemon game (tcg or otherwise)" be a good idea?
Like "I use tapu lele's gx attack"

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
Hey all, just letting people know there are no current applications awaiting approval for the next game of Mafia. If you are interested in running a game, please PM me and @bbninjas with your general flavour and application itself as per the standard mafia application.

Thank you all ^w^

Professor_jplap

Aspiring Trainer
So, if you look at Mafia 50, it had prizes and encouraged new players to join. It was fun with a lot of people, newcomers and veterans. However, I noticed that many of the newcomers didn't play in Mafia 51. I believe this is because Mafia is complicated and intimidating at first for most people (myself included). Heck, I've played a few games and I'm still intimidated by how complex the game is. I also noticed there were only 11 players last game and that's is a small amount that should be increased. So, my proposal? I think Mafia 56 should be much more simple to teach people the game while encouraging new players to join.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
So, if you look at Mafia 50, it had prizes and encouraged new players to join. It was fun with a lot of people, newcomers and veterans. However, I noticed that many of the newcomers didn't play in Mafia 51. I believe this is because Mafia is complicated and intimidating at first for most people (myself included). Heck, I've played a few games and I'm still intimidated by how complex the game is. I also noticed there were only 11 players last game and that's is a small amount that should be increased. So, my proposal? I think Mafia 56 should be much more simple to teach people the game while encouraging new players to join.

Yeah, you're right -- very few newcomers ended up playing Mafia 51 [click here to check out the game]. This struck me as quite interesting at the time because Mafia 51 had a relatively high number of players (sitting at a solid 20 plus subs), even despite that fact. I personally didn't think that Senate Subterfuge was any more complicated than Mafia 50 and just assumed that mafia didn't strike a chord with the newcomers who played 50. Do you reckon that's not case Jplap?

I'm not sure what's up with the mafia queue right now, so @Vracken or @AlphaVoxel might like to give an update. I was going to run a fun and simple game (flavour: zoo animals o_O) but I thought @roz_the_eevee had first dibs? I'm moving to the city next week, so if nothing's happening by then, I could start sign-ups.

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
Yeah, you're right -- very few newcomers ended up playing Mafia 51 [click here to check out the game]. This struck me as quite interesting at the time because Mafia 51 had a relatively high number of players (sitting at a solid 20 plus subs), even despite that fact. I personally didn't think that Senate Subterfuge was any more complicated than Mafia 50 and just assumed that mafia didn't strike a chord with the newcomers who played 50. Do you reckon that's not case Jplap?
I get jplap's point and I kinda agree. I think Mafia got a bit more complicated when they started to add some mini-games or challenges in the middle of the game that, in my opinion, make players lose the focus of the main mechanic of Mafia. Next game should not include them, at least to see if players feel more comfortable with the game.
That's my humble opinion :)

Professor_jplap

Aspiring Trainer

That's not quite what I was saying. 51 wasn't much more complicated than 50, it's just newcomers went into 50 not knowing what to expect. They played the game and realized how complex Mafia can be, and decided right then and there that they wouldn't play the next game.

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
If anyone wants to host, they need to post their game. At this point there are no games in the queue for us to look over or talk to hosts. Roz said he wanted to host but hasn’t actually done any thing about hosting other than telling me he wants to and I can’t keep holding the queue open if people want to actually host.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Hey everybody! I've been thinking of hosting a mafia game soon, which would be something a bit different than we normally see on this site. There are three main options I've been thinking of:
The first option is a fully open setup. With this setup, all the roles and their alignments would be known before the game started. To make sure that members of the mafia would be able to not be automatically be lynched or be forced to counterclaim in a massclaim, most roles in the game would be vanilla. An example of this type of setup can be found here. (Note that none of the exact setups shown in the post would most likely be used; these are just examples.)
The second option is a semi-open setup with randomized roles. With this setup, there would be a collection of possible setups like those in the first option which could be chosen, but the exact one is randomized and there are similarities between the setups to the point where nobody could be able to know the setup just from their own role. An example of this type of setup can be found here.
The third option is a fully vanilla setup with an interesting game mechanic. With this setup, everybody would be given a vanilla role, but there would be some major mechanic that would make the game unique, such as an atypical lynch system, events, something else exciting such as White Flag, or a combination of multiple of these aspects.

I've made a Strawpoll to try to gauge interest in all of these options, which can be found here. Please vote for whatever options look particularly appealing to you. You can vote for more than one of these options if you want to. In a few days, I'll look at the result and choose a setup that's the most popular option.
Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I’ve been thinking about hosting the next mafia game after NPs and just want to gauge interest to decide whether it’s worthwhile. It will be an ARMS themed role madness game with rotating Abilities, though nothing too complex! Who would probably / probably not play?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I would play. I don’t care about changing mechanics as long as they don’t change the basic things that make a Mafia game.

Vracken

Just a Ghost of the Past
Hey Everyone, I am going on holiday, so I wont be available for anything forum related until, I am back. Until then, please include me in messages, but focus on @AlphaVoxel and @Vom being in the message before myself. Thanks, and good luck with any submissions ^w^

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Important update relating to Mafia - only including link because it is specifically relevant to Mafia.