Discussion Post Rotation Sleeper Decks?

Calvin Anderson

Aspiring Trainer
So what decks do you guys think will be the sleepers post rotation? Personally I think it'll be some electrode-GX variant.

Metagross. Stevens Decision and baby metagross are big helps. Also, with N leaving, vulpix and algorithm gx should solve a lot of inconsistency challenges in the deck.

Definitely with shiftree gx. My prediction? Shiftree gx Sceptile! Though possibly clunky, Sceptile locks down a lot of post rotation prime decks, such as ultra necrozma, buzzwole and dusk mane. Judge and copycat would be the main supporters, to power up extra sensory, as well as things possibly like ilima(?). Timerball and rare candy as main items, as well as pal pad.

Judge will not be near as popular as N. Not even close. Many decks carry 3-4 N. I don’t expect more than 1 judge per deck. Playing a supporter and getting only 4 cards? That sucks, and is a recipe for bonking.

I feel like Alohan Raticate for its ability to gather items will see play post rotation with some stage 2 decks. However, not sure who it will partner with best. Also, I feel like decks that have GX attacks that allow you to pull resources from the discard will be played consistently with zoroark since puzzles are gone, meaning Decidueye/ Gardevoir and Banette all are safe bets to try working on post-rotation as the game looks to slow down.

Post-rotation there are few support options that disrupt your opponents hands so I think peaking red card will be played quite regularly. Also feel like Ilima and Olivia are somewhat being slept on right now.

I feel like Alohan Raticate for its ability to gather items will see play post rotation with some stage 2 decks. However, not sure who it will partner with best. Also, I feel like decks that have GX attacks that allow you to pull resources from the discard will be played consistently with zoroark since puzzles are gone, meaning Decidueye/ Gardevoir and Banette all are safe bets to try working on post-rotation as the game looks to slow down.

Post-rotation there are few support options that disrupt your opponents hands so I think peaking red card will be played quite regularly. Also feel like Ilima and Olivia are somewhat being slept on right now.

Peeking red card is a -1 to you, and even if you don't moderately like your opponents hand, it does nothing besides being able to see what they have or giving them a fresh new hand. Red Card is only marginally better because it limits them down to 4, 5 with draw.

I don’t know if it’s actually considered a sleeper, but Psychic malamar with alter of the moon should be good. Parallel City leaving the format is great for this deck.

im likin the metagross gx with the baby metagross personally. Being able to stevens decision with the baby active and then play an escape rope or switch to switch to the GX for the damage. Plus max potion being in the format still gives it that spice because very few pokemon can hit for 250 to get the ohko

So what decks do you guys think will be the sleepers post rotation? Personally I think it'll be some electrode-GX variant.
I was thinking of trying to run an electrode with Raichu gx and xurkitree....if set up turn one...by turn two you could be doing 200 plus damage with 10 total energy attached. 5 energy from electrode, 4 from 2 beast rings (maybe more , maybe less) plus the two energy attached. Could also run a Rayquazza gx, although energy attachment to it plus the addition of grass energy will make the deck harder to play.

Also agree to above regarding sceptile shutting down ultra beasts.

Metagross-GX / Solgaleo-GX as a deck will become so much better purely because of the rotation. Key means of ability lock like BKP Greninja and BKP Garbodor are gone, the only hand-disruption card I see that people could play in any deck is Judge, but it's not as effective as N and thus will be played less, so for the most part any Algorithm GX you do to search out your rare candies and other cards should be fine, and once you get set up it's ludicrous, having Metagross's that can KO Rayquaza-GX's with band as well as Buzzwole-GX and Ultra Necrozma-GX if Dhelmise is also being used, which it was when Metagross was using it in our current format (BKT-FLI), and having the Solgaleo KO just about anything in addition to Max Potion being used.

Any Spread Deck also gets better with rotation happening with our new means of preventing bench damage (since the previous Mr. Mine we have is rotating) is a new stadium card in Celestial Storm called Sky Pillar, but that can be knocked away with Field Blower or the stadium of choice I think is busted in spread decks; Shrine of Punishment, which adds on more damage counters by the second. Do anything you want by spreading damage, either setting up KOs for bigger pokemon that don't do as much damage normally or use Counter Energy + ULP Tapu Lele to make some crazy plays.

Swampert from Celestial Storm is a harder card to set up than Zoroark-GX, but if you do set him up he's crazy draw power on a prize one Pokemon. Find a way to charge him up and he's nuts, but he's gonna be difficult to find a proper deck for him so he's the least out of my choices.

With Alohan Raticate coming out the Alohan deck that focuses on the Alohan Marowak gets better and should improve post rotation with cards like Parallel City/ Delinquent/ Puzzles of time and N rotating there will be less overall disruption which could make the deck a relatively inexpensive rouge deck that is somewhat difficult to deal with once setup.

the deck i'm most excited to play in the near future is spread/mimikyu, with baby koko, latias, maybe necrozma gx and po town (i'd love to play it with decidueye but it would be too slow)

I too will say Metagross, been testing it post rotation and it's working quite nicely for me so I've got high hopes for it.

Silvally GX, if Buzzwole really does drop off the way people believe, it will be in a much better position. With personal energy acceleration and the ability to hit several relevant weaknesses it could have an interesting place in what will inevitably be a slightly slower meta.

I agree about Silvally, been testing it just for fun and forgot how good it really was, finding the right partner is still the tricky bit though.

Swampert from Celestial Storm is a harder card to set up than Zoroark-GX, but if you do set him up he's crazy draw power on a prize one Pokemon. Find a way to charge him up and he's nuts, but he's gonna be difficult to find a proper deck for him so he's the least out of my choices.

Seconded, Swampert is very fun from testing so far. So far ive tried Manectric and Lurantis GX as accelerators, but im definitely open to other suggestions. (It also is a strong user of super boost energy, and in expanded you can archie out a blastoise and have one more stage 2 for boost energy's requirements)

Seconded, Swampert is very fun from testing so far. So far ive tried Manectric and Lurantis GX as accelerators, but im definitely open to other suggestions. (It also is a strong user of super boost energy, and in expanded you can archie out a blastoise and have one more stage 2 for boost energy's requirements)
Yeah Super Boost Energy is definitley a must for any Swampert deck since it already counts as a single water energy once attached, so it doesn't hinder the deck at all and you can trigger the best effect more easily. As I was doing some Post-Rotation games my friend recommended Wishful Baton since it has the potential to really help stream Swampert and his energy problem once he gets knocked out and less people are running field blower now that it's not mandatory for ability-based decks because of BKP Garbodor. Although not attaching Choice Band might hurt a bit for getting a knockout on specific Pokemon but if you can fill the rest of the damage with more water energies to get knockouts then you might be fine. I dont't know how difficult that would be though.

Now in Expanded, things definitley get interesting with Archie and I hope to see something good come out of that.

Electrode is lying in wait for the right card right now. In the meantime, Baby Metagross's synergy with GRI Garbodor through Unit Energy is being overlooked at the moment. Strong 1-prizer deck without any bad matchups.

Back