SM7a 'Fairy Rise' Announced!

It's just hard for me to look at cards like this in isolation and determine whether or not it'll be good [...]

Agreed~
I'm optimistic, however.
Mainly because I think it has a positive match-up vs Zoroark.

As far as Stakataka goes, off the top of my head, the easiest outs are:
Confuse it with Mimikyu; use Ninetales to grab Max Potions.
or
Set up Lele-GX for attacking.

Of course, you do have the option of A.Ninetales GX attack, as well.
Though, that's more of a band-aid fix.

I'm only worried about Tapu Koko Promo because of Stakataka GX making it possible to do actually 0 damage fairly easily, but I do think that mixing it with Necrozma + Lele package is a great idea. I think the Necrozma + Lele combo is kind of a good idea in any deck that can load the energy on quickly enough for it.

I haven't played it myself, but I have seen it run at a competitive level. Most of the reason why I haven't played it myself is because I just simply lost interest in this rotation a few months ago due to the meta and, well, Garbotoxin making the game incredibly boring for me. I'm not sure if I would ever play it though, just because the first impression attack style just doesn't really work in my head. I can't wrap my brain around it, strangely.

@Ecourts

I do think there is potential that I'm underestimating Alolan Ninetales. It's just hard for me to look at cards like this in isolation and determine whether or not it'll be good, since honestly whether or not it will be good will depend on the rest of the deck. I don't think it's a self explanatory attacker like Gardevoir GX was at the time, and I guess you could just see Alolan Ninetales GX as a Buzzwole GX that searches items and has a 40 damage stronger Jet Punch at face value. I dunno. I'll wait and see until the rest of the set comes out. I just don't like it at a glance. I'd need to see it in the context of a full deck list that has a turn-by-turn strategy. I believe the 70/30 split also looks unfavorable to me due to Stakataka GX. Low base damage values just aren't appealing when a card that can OHKO you also can potentially make you do 40/0.
Yeah, I do have to agree that garbotoxin kinda makes the game slower.

Mimikyu's attack is pretty good. 5 damage counters and you KO Buzz with a band. Wonky attack cost tho...

Alolan Ninetales the ultimate Buzzwole knock out revenge pokemon, plus its ability is really good and could be a nice pair with super scoop up.

the Mimikyu is basically a Mega Tyranitar EX but it has more moves to make the attacks more powerful.

I mean, Decidueye/Mimiku looks nice and all, but is it really any better than the old Zoroark varient? Maybe if Ultra Nec. ever gets big, but still.

Fun fact: with the release of this Mimikyu, each of the original Totem Pokémon from Sun and Moon has been properly represented as a GX (I say properly since Team Rocket's Mimikyu doesn't count).

If sylvally was good with psychic memory, we would have seen it played a lot more often. Only major appearance was at the European internationals as a top 8, i beLieve. Honestly, the reason that doesn’t work is because field blower stops that in its tracks. I used to think about that being possible, but it really isn’t. Maybe sylvally Ninetales, but that may be a stretch. Also, after rotation diancie prism and beast energy are going to be crucial in a matchup like that, as buzzwole with those two is certainly KOing type null in one shot. I believe we are getting a supporter that finds prism cards, giving buzzwole a small bonus. With those two on the field the buzzwole is doing 80, with weakness 160, almost a OHKO on buzzwole. And it’s not not just buzzwole, there’s baby buzzwole that can screw that up as well. Overall, sylvally is too clunky, as its difficult to constantly have to attach these tool cards. And if you bring sylveon into this, remember there is still judge! It might not be as powerful as N, but in a situation like this it will work. Overall, buzzwole isn’t gone, it’s changing ,adapting. Go ask my friend Merovingian if you want to know more, as they pretty much explained this to me.
The only thing wrong here is saying field blower prevents physic memory from working against buzzwole. No buzzwole deck plays field blower and a turn of offensive tools can make a big difference just look at choice band

Alolan Ninetales-GX: Looks like a lot of fun, being able to pull out hammers while doing spread damage, and that GX attack is pretty scary. ●●●●○

Mimikyu-GX: Could be a fun card when used with Alolan Ninetales-GX and Tapu Lele, but it might be asking for too much. ●●●○○

Gardevoir: Decent replacement for Gallade, but just not near as good. ●●●○○

Not a fan of the Fairy Alolan Ninetales at all, really.

The item search on ability is the best part about it. The GX attack is fairly bad when most of the relevant Ultra Beasts are less than 200 HP, Nagandel GX being the tankiest one, and most decks post rotation can OHKO Ultra Beasts without using up the GX attack. If you use this to OHKO against Naganadel/Stakataka, you just give your opponent access to Beast Ring, and then Stakataka GX will proceed to take a free counter KO without using up the GX attack.

It's also coming out after Rayquaza/Zeraora becomes a thing, which makes the GX attack completely irrelivent assuming we have a saturation of those decks. Considering the Japan hype, I'd say it's very likely.

I would rather run Sylveon GX still because of Energy Evolution Eevee, the ability to search 3 of any card without it being a once per evolution thing, and if you're running Beacon Alolan Vulpix, you're probably going to spend an attack for turn on Beacon to find Alolan Ninetales in the first place, which is the same speed as just Magical Ribboning. Sylveon GX can also OHKO UNGX and Rayquaza GX without Choice Band.

I can see the Alolan Ninetales maybe being played as a 2/2 line in non-Fairy decks just for the ability and having access to Beacon for consistency, but I don't know what kind of deck would be interested in that strategy.

Maybe I'm underestimating Alolan Ninetales, but this is just my first impression of the card.

Non-GX Gardevoir is great, but only if Gardevoir GX is going to be great. It can hit 190 damage choice banded as a 1 prize attacker, and that's actually pretty big value. That being said, Sylveon GX outspeeds Gardevoir anyday, and I would rather play Sylveon GX as a Ray counter than Gardevoir.
Being able to 1HKO is always good, sometimes you just don't have the resources to get that KO without your GX attack. I don't know why Rayquaza becoming a thing would be bad for a fairy card, and Zeraora is not going to be as good as people are hyping it up to be. Sylveon does have an easier setup than Ninetales, but in the later game Ninetales' ability is far more useful than Sylveon's attack, because your turn doesn't end when you use it. Sylveon KOing things without Choice Band does not really mean anything considering Ninetales can just search it out when you play it down.

Everybody loves hyperbole, right?
It's not like everybody likes hyperbole but maybe it's just me but most people are not thinking post rotation and i will say it cinfidence Gardevoir GX and other stage 2 decks will see a rise in play since max elixir will be gone forever from standard usually basic gx's have an energy cost of 3 or 4 without max elixir they can't get energies as fast therefore stage 2 decks will have time to set up, this alolan ninetales gx is brilliant for gardevoir gx you can actually evolve into 2 gardevoir gx via rare candy quite easily on your second turn, lets consider friend ball and lure ball you can chain evolve on a consistent level and let's not forget diantha, i can't think of any downside for gardevoir gx post rotation besides being weak to metal... Ok you could say that it won't be as powerful because gallade and octillery will rotate out but this is the beauty of this game we will adapt and find a way to build an over the top good deck and gardevoir gx/alolan ninetales gx will be one of those over the top good decks. Mark my words, i won't be surprised if i see gardevoir gx winning well known tournaments again.

It's not like everybody likes hyperbole but maybe it's just me but most people are not thinking post rotation and i will say it cinfidence Gardevoir GX and other stage 2 decks will see a rise in play since max elixir will be gone forever from standard usually basic gx's have an energy cost of 3 or 4 without max elixir they can't get energies as fast therefore stage 2 decks will have time to set up, this alolan ninetales gx is brilliant for gardevoir gx you can actually evolve into 2 gardevoir gx via rare candy quite easily on your second turn, lets consider friend ball and lure ball you can chain evolve on a consistent level and let's not forget diantha, i can't think of any downside for gardevoir gx post rotation besides being weak to metal... Ok you could say that it won't be as powerful because gallade and octillery will rotate out but this is the beauty of this game we will adapt and find a way to build an over the top good deck and gardevoir gx/alolan ninetales gx will be one of those over the top good decks. Mark my words, i won't be surprised if i see gardevoir gx winning well known tournaments again.

This certainly doesn't make Garde "broken beyond repair", just good enough to compete again. Friend Ball searches for a Pokemon that your opponent has in play, not you. Also, punctuation is your friend.

Being able to 1HKO is always good, sometimes you just don't have the resources to get that KO without your GX attack. I don't know why Rayquaza becoming a thing would be bad for a fairy card, and Zeraora is not going to be as good as people are hyping it up to be. Sylveon does have an easier setup than Ninetales, but in the later game Ninetales' ability is far more useful than Sylveon's attack, because your turn doesn't end when you use it. Sylveon KOing things without Choice Band does not really mean anything considering Ninetales can just search it out when you play it down.

Pardon, when I say that Rayquaza GX becoming a thing is bad for Alolan Ninetales, I meant specifically the GX attack. Ray GX/Zeraora GX runs no Ultra Beasts, so in a potentially Ray GX saturated format, you basically are running a GX Pokemon that doesn't have a GX attack. That can be fine because no one uses Zoroark GX's GX attack either, but I'm just saying it's a factor when compared to other Fairy Pokemon trying to fill an attacking role.

Right now my current take on Alolan Ninetales GX is that it's good for a stage 2 deck, but if you're stage 1 heavy, Sylveon GX is just as good if not better.

Here's the power play I imagine with Alolan Ninetales GX:

1. Open Beacon Alolan Vulpix and search for two of your Stage 2 Pokemon. Let's say 2 Gardevoir GX. This is IF you have Ultra Ball in hand to grab Alolan Ninetales GX as well. This will also work if you just open Gardy GX in your opening hand. Play Pokemon Fan Club to put 2 Ralts on the bench.
2. Evolve up into Alolan Ninetales GX and search for two Rare Candy, and make two Gardevoir GX just like that.

If you are T1 going second, you can potentially have 2 Gardevoir GX out by turn 2 of the game due to turn 1 beacon. Otherwise, you will have to wait until Turn 3 if you're going first. T1 set up, T2 beacon, T3 evolutions. This, however, is also the best case scenario for the deck. Odds are, you're going to Beacon for 1 Alolan Ninetales, 1 Gardevoir GX, and then use Alolan Ninetales' ability to find 1 rare candy and 1 nest ball to pop out your next basic to start setting up.

I recognize this power play, but at the same time with things like Professor's Letter gone, Alolan Ninetales cannot find energy. What's the point in T2/T3 double Gardevoir GX if you don't have any energy in hand to apply pressure after setting up? Sylveon GX can always set up a single Gardevoir GX after a Pokemon Fan Club, and I can take a DCE with the search and usually have 3 energy on my Gardevoir GX by turn 2 going second/turn 3 going first of the game.

Having to use Choice Band to OHKO DOES matter. That means that Alolan Ninetales GX is forced to expend one of its searches on a Choice Band whereas Sylveon GX never does in a Ray or UNGX match up. It also means that a Field Blower can stop you in your tracks trying to use Alolan Ninetales GX as a main attacker, because you can't guarantee the next Choice Band unless you're willing to evolve up a 2nd time and consume another bench slot just to find a choice band.

The point is, neither Sylveon GX nor Alolan Ninetales GX are perfect for the job. Depending on the deck, one will be better than the other.

Alolan Ninetales GX is specifically better in any deck that wants to search for Pokemon and items without needing to splash in an off-type energy, but if you're going Gardevoir GX + one of the two, I'm going to need playtesting results to prove to me that Alolan Ninetales GX is better than Sylveon GX in an upcoming format with no N and very little Judge. And as far as GX attacks are concerned, if Gardy does come back to steal the meta, then Plea GX sending away 2 of your opponent's Gardevoir GX is a game winning GX attack.

Back