SM7a 'Fairy Rise' Announced!

Not a fan of the Fairy Alolan Ninetales at all, really.

The item search on ability is the best part about it. The GX attack is fairly bad when most of the relevant Ultra Beasts are less than 200 HP, Nagandel GX being the tankiest one, and most decks post rotation can OHKO Ultra Beasts without using up the GX attack. If you use this to OHKO against Naganadel/Stakataka, you just give your opponent access to Beast Ring, and then Stakataka GX will proceed to take a free counter KO without using up the GX attack.

It's also coming out after Rayquaza/Zeraora becomes a thing, which makes the GX attack completely irrelivent assuming we have a saturation of those decks. Considering the Japan hype, I'd say it's very likely.

I would rather run Sylveon GX still because of Energy Evolution Eevee, the ability to search 3 of any card without it being a once per evolution thing, and if you're running Beacon Alolan Vulpix, you're probably going to spend an attack for turn on Beacon to find Alolan Ninetales in the first place, which is the same speed as just Magical Ribboning. Sylveon GX can also OHKO UNGX and Rayquaza GX without Choice Band.

I can see the Alolan Ninetales maybe being played as a 2/2 line in non-Fairy decks just for the ability and having access to Beacon for consistency, but I don't know what kind of deck would be interested in that strategy.

Maybe I'm underestimating Alolan Ninetales, but this is just my first impression of the card.

Non-GX Gardevoir is great, but only if Gardevoir GX is going to be great. It can hit 190 damage choice banded as a 1 prize attacker, and that's actually pretty big value. That being said, Sylveon GX outspeeds Gardevoir anyday, and I would rather play Sylveon GX as a Ray counter than Gardevoir.

Never was a fan of gardevoir since im a metal fan especially metagross, but damn that second attack is awesome and helps boost current gardevoir decks against buzzwole gx and baby buzzwole. One hot kills on both with choice band.

And damn that alolan ninetales gx move... BEASTLY!!!

The ninetales is a beast. I think it's the lele of the next set and will get splashed in a ton of decks just for the ability and since alolan vulpix is good as well.

I'm not sure gardevoir makes a comeback with all this support. I could just play fairy alolan ninetales with any other stage 2 deck. Solgaleo for example, since it gets the new solgaleo. Or vikavolt, since lightning receives loads of support. Stronger stage 2s might exist by the time e get fairy rise.

Alolan Ninetales is definitely going to see play

So good! Anti Utra Beasts

It would have been better if puzzle of times were still in standard. The ability to search for them would be gamechanging

I can see this Alolan Ninetales working in many decks outside of fairy ones. Alolan Vulpix was already good for searching for Pokemon, and evolving it to get some needed rare candies and such for the stage 2's you searched for on your next turn add even more utility. The attacks are also fairly low cost, and can handle many meta-dominant cards like Rayquaza-GX and Ultra Beasts - although you'd need to use rainbow/fairy energy to attack with it.

Definitely worth experimenting with!

• Alolan Ninetales GX - I love the ability, it builds up consistency. The atk are... its all right. The GX used to smack Buzzwole, Dusk Mane etc. But its a GX atk! You can only use it if the UB is in full HP, not enough to 2HKO due to its main atk, and bodybagging against you. Well, we have Beacon Vulpix til next September to search these Ninetales fairly easy. 3 Geodudes
  • Mimkyu-GX - First atk is trash, period. The second atk is good but needs pressure.Decidueye could work but the fact that its a Stage 2 that rots on the bench because you are running fairy energy and needs bunch of Rare Candy makes me worry about. The GX atk is a recycle of the other one, nothing too special. 3-4 Geodudes and also no Unit nrg for Grass and Fairy just FYI
  • Gardevoir - at least a non-GX option for Gardevoir decks. What is so special on these fairy types? They are all being crushed by the new Solgaleo GX the time this was released in English. 3 Geodudes

Ninetails
Ability is good in Gardevoir.
Attack is mediocre.
GX is good but why.
Resistance is good too, but still gets 2 shot by Zoroark.
Overrated.

Mimikyu
First attack does Confusion, which is the best Status.
Second attack can scale quickly with Choice Band, Po Town, Shrine of Punishment, Professor Kukui, et cetera. Can usually 2HKO. If it’s actually 30 per damage instead of 10 per damage like some people think, then it’ll be an infinitely better card.
GX is like Pandemonium-GX from Shiftry, but for 1 Energy.
No weakness is great, but no resistance isn’t.
1 Energy Retreat is easy to work with.

Gardevoir
1-of potential staple in Gardevoir.
Brilliant Search is just Sylveon’s attack, use Sylveon instead.
Sensitive Ray can deal 210 with Choice Band after a Supporter, which is really good.

This may seem strange but I feel like Alohan Ninetales has decent synergy with Altaria GX as they both utilize similar energy costs and Ninetales ability can allow Altaria to be even more tanky. Also, considering Altaria isn't really able to get OHKO's the Ninetales might make an interesting alternative attacker with its GX if you weren't able to establish the lock and need to get a quick knockout on an ultra beast (something I don't expect would be the case often, but could be achieved given aqua patches since Altaria will play a couple just for its alternative attack)

lol more UB hate

On a bit more serious note, A. Ninetales has been overhyped for a while now, just because we knew that it had a good ability and well...that's really all it has going for it. If I'm not mistaken, devo spray didn't get a reprint, so reusing the ability is not an option either. Still, it might find its way into post-rotation fairy decks. I don't think it's worth using in anything else, and comparing it to Lele is a mistake imo. Lele is a basic and can even attack if needed in any deck that uses energy. A. Ninetales is a stage 1 and a fat bench sitter in any deck that doesn't play rainbow or fairy energy, and even in those it can't contribute that much.

Mimikyu is interesting. Koko+Punishment Shrine+Mimikyu maybe.

The Gardevoir was printed to replace Gallade, but its attack has a higher energy cost, (however, it also does more damage than Gallade so I guess it balances out) the typing is worse compared to Gallade and no Premonition. It is still a staple in in post-rotation Gardevoir though.

Ninetales is extremely good!!!
Gardevoir will in my opinion be pretty good in the next season: with the ascension of Ray gx and the domination of Buzzroc, ninetales gx will be a must for each fairy deck: the ability is unFAIR, it can easily search out candies, ultra balls or something like that, there's a solid non-gx attack which can deal 100 dmg with a choice and 30 to the bench which can be good in order to take 2hkos, the gx move is pretty good against Naganadel, Buzzwole....

Well we have a new non GX Gardevoir to use
GARDEVOIR IS BACK BABY! WOOOHOOO!

Wait a minute-
Mimikyu/Decidueye, anyone?
Wait a minute that’s acually not to bad of an idea!

Never was a fan of gardevoir since im a metal fan especially metagross, but damn that second attack is awesome and helps boost current gardevoir decks against buzzwole gx and baby buzzwole. One hot kills on both with choice band.

And damn that alolan ninetales gx move... BEASTLY!!!
Ayyy (that was a pun, correct?)

Not a fan of the Fairy Alolan Ninetales at all, really.

The item search on ability is the best part about it. The GX attack is fairly bad when most of the relevant Ultra Beasts are less than 200 HP, Nagandel GX being the tankiest one, and most decks post rotation can OHKO Ultra Beasts without using up the GX attack. If you use this to OHKO against Naganadel/Stakataka, you just give your opponent access to Beast Ring, and then Stakataka GX will proceed to take a free counter KO without using up the GX attack.

It's also coming out after Rayquaza/Zeraora becomes a thing, which makes the GX attack completely irrelivent assuming we have a saturation of those decks. Considering the Japan hype, I'd say it's very likely.

I would rather run Sylveon GX still because of Energy Evolution Eevee, the ability to search 3 of any card without it being a once per evolution thing, and if you're running Beacon Alolan Vulpix, you're probably going to spend an attack for turn on Beacon to find Alolan Ninetales in the first place, which is the same speed as just Magical Ribboning. Sylveon GX can also OHKO UNGX and Rayquaza GX without Choice Band.

I can see the Alolan Ninetales maybe being played as a 2/2 line in non-Fairy decks just for the ability and having access to Beacon for consistency, but I don't know what kind of deck would be interested in that strategy.

Maybe I'm underestimating Alolan Ninetales, but this is just my first impression of the card.

Non-GX Gardevoir is great, but only if Gardevoir GX is going to be great. It can hit 190 damage choice banded as a 1 prize attacker, and that's actually pretty big value. That being said, Sylveon GX outspeeds Gardevoir anyday, and I would rather play Sylveon GX as a Ray counter than Gardevoir.
Well, thing there is that sylveon doesn’t have the OHKO on buzzwole like this gardevoir does. What I would do is play sylveon gardevoir, a similar list to the 2017 worlds finalist for the senior decision, takumi kaji.

The ninetales is a beast. I think it's the lele of the next set and will get splashed in a ton of decks just for the ability and since alolan vulpix is good as well.

I'm not sure gardevoir makes a comeback with all this support. I could just play fairy alolan ninetales with any other stage 2 deck. Solgaleo for example, since it gets the new solgaleo. Or vikavolt, since lightning receives loads of support. Stronger stage 2s might exist by the time e get fairy rise.
Well, only thing I saw holding gardevoir from metagame was buzzwole. Now that the buzzwole decks are losing strength, and now this gardevoir, which is almost like a mix between sylveon gx and Gallade, Gardevoir has a shot at the metagame. Also, two of the top decks post rotation are going to be Rayquaza gx and ultra necrozma gx. These both get countered by gardevoir. And the thing about metal decks! I haven’t seen much of them, as they can be somewhat klunky. We saw that with dusk mane, as the time it took to set up its support was dangerously long in a meta where beginning game-advantaged decks lived. Stakataka might be something, but the gardevoir here counters it. The only one I’m worried about is Scizor, but we will see how it plays out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thing there is that sylveon doesn’t have the OHKO on buzzwole like this gardevoir does. What I would do is play sylveon gardevoir, a similar list to the 2017 worlds finalist for the senior decision, takumi kaji.

To be honest with you, Silvally GX with Psychic Memory.

Sylveon GX can search out everything you need to get that set up. The Silvally GX, the Memory, and the energy to do so. The 110 base HP of Type: Null also helps it survive a jet punch despite its weakness.

Yes, Silvally GX also gets OHKO'd by Buzzwole's main attack, but without Max Elixir post rotation, there isn't much energy acceleration going on to help it get there before a Silvally GX can attach a DCE and anything else, Turbo Drive to start setting up another Silvally GX at the same time it takes an OHKO, and not have any attack restrictions at the same time. Turbo Drive can actually help it push through Beast Ring by setting up another Silvally GX, or you can just use Sylveon GX to handle it if Buzzwole isn't equipped to OHKO (Beast Energy/Choice Band/Diancie Prism).

I don't want to give up on Gardevoir GX, but there are just easier, more consistent ways to take your OHKOs with other cards (like Silvally GX). Silvally kind of fell flat in the current rotation meta, but I think it actually stands a reasonable chance post rotation, especially since its main problem, Buzzwole GX, is getting hit after rotation.

lol more UB hate

On a bit more serious note, A. Ninetales has been overhyped for a while now, just because we knew that it had a good ability and well...that's really all it has going for it. If I'm not mistaken, devo spray didn't get a reprint, so reusing the ability is not an option either. Still, it might find its way into post-rotation fairy decks. I don't think it's worth using in anything else, and comparing it to Lele is a mistake imo. Lele is a basic and can even attack if needed in any deck that uses energy. A. Ninetales is a stage 1 and a fat bench sitter in any deck that doesn't play rainbow or fairy energy, and even in those it can't contribute that much.

Mimikyu is interesting. Koko+Punishment Shrine+Mimikyu maybe.

The Gardevoir was printed to replace Gallade, but its attack has a higher energy cost, (however, it also does more damage than Gallade so I guess it balances out) the typing is worse compared to Gallade and no Premonition. It is still a staple in in post-rotation Gardevoir though.
1. For your Ninetales thing? Super scoop up and acerola.
2 Gardevoir makes up for the higher energy cost, as Gardevoir Can help with its ability, and it only takes a fairy+ double colorless, which makes it almost like 2 energy. It also 1HKOs gardevoirs main problem buzzwole, both gx and baby, as well as stakataka, which is a possible threat.
3 Ninetales will be good in a few decks such as any fairy deck, altaria, and Ninetales. However, outside of that it isn’t too strong. It’s gx attack is nice (hating on ub pokemon)

Back