Zeraora-GX from SM7a Revealed!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I'm glad that more artists are coming in to make GX cards, but this Genesect just looks... off. It could have had a lot more going for it, I mean, just look at the Full art from Plasma Blast. That card is one of the best full arts in that entire era. Oh well. Hope the FA is a little more slick.

Im not competitive by any means but the card still looks fun to play if anything. Choice Bands or FFB in expanded sound fun, Metal frying pan might be fun to mess around with too, there's lots of possibilities here. I'm not sure it'll be much of anything in the end but I still like it conceptually.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Wow, I'm loving Counter Gain! Countless uses, but the first thing that's coming to mind right now is free attacking when behind with Naganadel-GX!

Wechselbalg

brb
Counter Gain is looking very good and can be combined with a lot of different attackers, both Standard and Expanded. Not saying it will be 100% meta defining but certainly has a lot of potential.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Counter Gain is looking pretty spicy.

I could see this being used with Necrozma GX so that you can, when behind, use the GX attack for only 2 energy instead, then follow up with Magical Swap Tapu Lele, potentially for only 1 energy if you have Counter Gain on her as well, and then just immediately steal momentum.

It's very destructive for utility damage like this, but I think you need to be playing a deck that specifically strategizes around it in order for it to be effective.

Zzrrdd

Aspiring Trainer
Counter gain is the first of the 'behind on prizes' style cards that I feel will make a big impact on the meta. With this and beast ring, prizes are becoming a big deal

Max Maxwell

Aspiring Trainer
Love Love Love Counter Gain.... with Electivire SM7a and Prism Stadium only 2 light energy for 190 damages :p

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
My first reaction for counter gain is in spread damage decks where you often fall behind on prizes -- with the psychic baby lele, you could use just one basic psychic energy. And spread koko with just a single basic energy too.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Genesect GX seems alright, but I feel like it's really frail.

Metal doesn't really have fantastic energy acceleration right now (Magnezone is clunky, and then Registeel is kind of the only other solution they have without Max Elixir post-rotation), and even if you double stack choice bands and Genesect GX becomes a large slice of the meta, people will just use a single field blower to knock them both off. Once Puzzle of Time rotates, there aren't exactly a lot of ways you can recover items from the discard pile, so once you lose double choice band and get KO'd, you don't have many options for recovery and retaking momentum.

At this point it kind of just becomes a decent solution to countering fairy types, but even if that's what you want to use it for, Stakataka GX is better in every way at that job while offering some defense for Beast Box in non-fairy match ups at the same time. With access to Beast Ring as well, Stakataka GX can get going in 1 turn and takes 2 hit KOs just the same. The GX attack on Stakataka GX has a higher ceiling as well. At 3 prizes taken it's already outgunning Genesect GX.

Like seriously, Stakataka GX with 4x frying pans is going to become a problem that really tests the endurance of energy discarding decks like UNGX that need precise set ups to maintain momentum.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
And if the Genesect goes down how do you power up another? Play it with Magnezone? At that point Dusk Mane is better. You don't get your CB back from the discard but you can get back your energy. And Dusk Mane doesn't need CB to OHKO basic/stage 1 GXes.

Solgaleo Prism is bad as the only energy acceleration because it is literally a one-of and you can't even get it back if it gets knocked out.
We also have Registeel to accelerate energy as well

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Dusk Mane Necrozma Gx with counter gain. Disgusting.
Maybe since it don't need Choice Band.
  • Cobalion - Its a decent CE Pokémon in some decks. Does 120-150 with a Choice Band, without CE, its just a Pokemon whose HP is vulnerable to Standard 120 atkrs and having expensive atks that cannot be accessed with DCE. 3 Geodudes
  • Counter Gain - It's Energy Gain that needs to be behind on prizes. Mentioned Cobalion, one CE and good to go (although it cannot use Choice Band with this method), Zeraora can now atk for 1 L with this and Thunder Mountain (like with Cobalion, it loses the ability to use Choice Band). The main thing is Dusk Mane since its main atk is a OHKO Machine and it doesn't need Choice Band. You only just need are Magnezone and Mt. Coronet. 4-5 Geodudes