Zeraora-GX from SM7a Revealed!

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
It's dead weight if you start with it, it's dead weight if you prize it, and if you don't play it down turn one it gets a lot less useful as you start drawing through cards in your deck. Even in the best-case scenario, you discard 3 Energy... and then what? You're playing with a Bench of 4 for the rest of the game, congratulations. With Acerola requiring damage and Parallel City rotating, there is no way to get it off your field once it's down other than hope your opponent plays Sudowoodo.

Oricorio is better, it's sturdier and can actually attack if for some reason you had no other option. And I would still rather just play more Energy instead of using Oricorio. Don't use Shuckle.
There is always Pokemon Fan Club after rotation.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
That doesn't stop any of the problems I mentioned. If you start with it it's already down; if you prize it it's not in the deck. Once it's down, it's never leaving that spot. The problem isn't about finding it in your deck, it's how useless it is after it's down.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
It's dead weight if you start with it, it's dead weight if you prize it, and if you don't play it down turn one it gets a lot less useful as you start drawing through cards in your deck. Even in the best-case scenario, you discard 3 Energy... and then what? You're playing with a Bench of 4 for the rest of the game, congratulations. With Acerola requiring damage and Parallel City rotating, there is no way to get it off your field once it's down other than hope your opponent plays Sudowoodo.

Oricorio is better, it's sturdier and can actually attack if for some reason you had no other option. And I would still rather just play more Energy instead of using Oricorio. Don't use Shuckle.
I feel like you might get away with some of those problems if you played a second copy or maybe 1 more afterwards. Even if you lead with Shuckle, you'd have a second one to use for it's ability, and having a second copy will not only greatly increase your chances of not prizing it, but you're gonna have more chances to draw it raw even if it is slight. You wouldn't even have to play both of them, just play 1 and discard the other through other methods.

Not to say you're completely wrong. For one, it has limited search options ergo not searchable by Mysterious Treasure (in which GRI Orcorio can be searched), secondly it is taken bench space, and in a deck involving Malamar (which I would know so now that I'm playing the deck a lot), you not only want all the space you can for your Malamars and attackers, but for an emergency Lele as well. It's no gift from the gods to Malamar (To Rayquaza, totally. But Malamar wouldn't need it), but we are losing Sycamore and Professor's Letter to help find a way to get basic energies into our discard pile for stuff like Malamar and do it all in a turn or 2. For Malamar variants, I'd personally at least try it, even if the chances of it working are lower than expected. Just here to list the positives of using the card in this particular scenario.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I feel like you might get away with some of those problems if you played a second copy or maybe 1 more afterwards. Even if you lead with Shuckle, you'd have a second one to use for it's ability, and having a second copy will not only greatly increase your chances of not prizing it, but you're gonna have more chances to draw it raw even if it is slight. You wouldn't even have to play both of them, just play 1 and discard the other through other methods.

Not to say you're completely wrong. For one, it has limited search options ergo not searchable by Mysterious Treasure (in which GRI Orcorio can be searched), secondly it is taken bench space, and in a deck involving Malamar (which I would know so now that I'm playing the deck a lot), you not only want all the space you can for your Malamars and attackers, but for an emergency Lele as well. It's no gift from the gods to Malamar (To Rayquaza, totally. But Malamar wouldn't need it), but we are losing Sycamore and Professor's Letter to help find a way to get basic energies into our discard pile for stuff like Malamar and do it all in a turn or 2. For Malamar variants, I'd personally at least try it, even if the chances of it working are lower than expected. Just here to list the positives of using the card in this particular scenario.

If you wanna play anything, just use Oricorio and your minimum 8 discard cards in order to start chucking them. If you run enough Energy in your deck, you should have no problems with hitting a couple more.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Shuckle sounds like a nice addition to Rayquaza decks and some Grass decks. Would not use him in Malamar decks for the reasons PMJ outlined above. In Rayquaza and Grass decks he can be used do fill the discard and accelerate on his own alike. Most likely will replace Drampa in my Rayquaza list.

White Kyurem looks nice in Water Box decks. He is in essence a Basic non-Gx that can ohko Basic Pokémon GX. Electivire looks interesting but he needs Thunder Mountain to reduce his attack cost and as of now acceleration for lighting energy is limited.

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
I've been wanting a Battle Compressor but for energy for a while now, since there are quite some decks that want energy in the discard, but have no good way of getting them there.

So Shuckle is definitely fulfilling that, however at the cost of a bench space. And Shuckle will be dead weight after that, so you better be able to afford locking down that bench slot with Shuckle.

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
White Kyurem makes for an excellent budget deck. Its attack is simple but powerful. Unit Energy GFW already makes sure you meet the requirement. You can power it up with Aqua Patch (Volcanion Prism will help with this) and enhance its damage up to 200+ with a Choice Band and the new stadium card: Shrine of Punishment. We have plenty of techs that help out this deck like Switch Float, Brooklet Hill and Regice (Sky-Splitting Eminence) This card is great for a basic non GX attacker.

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
Love the art, don't terribly like the card. If anything discarding as many cards from your hand as you like is kinda neat I guess.

Antonio123456

Aspiring Trainer
Obvious 4 of in every deck. Sightseer is to Sycamore as Guzma is to Lysandre. The card is is excellent for all decks that want to selectively shove things in the discard. It will also be nice to save key items.

MetaCall

ADVGYM
Based off what we know we will have after rotation this will be a 3-4 of in every deck. This controlled deck thinning can be as powerful as Sycamore or Juniper

Mr. Mirek

Aspiring Trainer
I definitely dig this card! Sometimes you know certain cards aren't necessary against an opponent. Here's one more way to thin your deck in Standard. Expanded had Battle Compressor. Standard now will have Sightseer