Help Post Rotation (SUM-ON) Deck Ideas

Francisco Marin

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone,

I took a break from the TCG a year and a half ago. I sadly sold all my cards due to financial issues, however I want to get back into the game.

I noticed rotation is coming up soon and I was wondering what cards I should invest in to play the new format as I think it would be pointless to start playing before rotation.

Any help is appreciated thank you! :)

Articuno_Aria

Articuno is UNO for a reason
Trainers: Choice Band, Field Blower, Cynthia (great draw power), Guzma (switch your opponent's Active with one of their Bench, then you do the same with your Pokemon), Acerola (Put 1 Pokemon with damage on it and all cards attached to it in your hand), Nest Ball (one option to replace Brigette), Timer Ball (replaces Evo Soda)

As far as Pokemon go, Tapu Lele GX is crucial for Supporter search. Most decks run 2 per deck, and last I checked Lele was about $40 (regular art)

That's all I can think of at the moment, hope that helped :)

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
Mallow (1/2), Copycat (comes out next set), Judge (likely will replace N post rotation), acrobike which comes out next set, pal pad, counter energy on non-gx pokemon, Volkner (it's a lightning Korinna), mysterious treasure,

As far as pokemon the draw based ones are oranguru (a basic octillery that at most increases your hand too 3), zoroark gx (allows you to trade/discard one card from your hand to receive two and with a colorless does 20x damage per the amount of pokemon you have which has made this card quite popular even with Buzzwole's dominance).

Some other pokemon that have been really good recently but it's unclear how good they will be post rotation are Buzzwole, Malamar based decks (psychic acceleration), and some others coming out in the next couple of sets which are hard to discern how good they will be in a post rotation world. Also, the game has moved on from EX pokemon to GX, and with the move their are GX attacks which vary in value from one GX pokemon to the next and despite Zygarde are usually one usuable once per game.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
For some reason, Zoroark GX, Gardevoir GX, and Golisopod GX have fallen a bit in value. I suggest that you pick up a playset of each of these (Especially Zoroark) before they hike back up again in value. These cards have lots of potential and have been proven to be forces not to be reckoned with, and do not lose too many tools after the rotation.

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
I still want to run a Rotom deck. Can't let my memes be dreams. BBZZ BZZZ HOT DIGGITY PAL BINGO CARD

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
I like Zoroark/Magcargo for post-rotation. It guarentees you draw into what you need and allows you to run multiple one-of techs against the meta

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Mallow (1/2), Copycat (comes out next set), Judge (likely will replace N post rotation), acrobike which comes out next set, pal pad, counter energy on non-gx pokemon, Volkner (it's a lightning Korinna), mysterious treasure,
While I agree with most of your assertions, I'm afraid you're mistaken on Volkner: while Korrina searches for a Fighting Pokemon and an Item card, Volkner searches for an Item card and a Lightning Energy (which could possibly have its uses, but is nowhere near as strong and will likely not be a staple anytime soon).

I don't blame you for the confusion, though, since I made the same mistake when Ultra Prism was first being leaked and got all hyped for Volkner. It was only when I read the card spoiler more carefully that I realized what it actually did...