SM7 'Celestial Storm' Revealed!

boyishgoodlooks

Aspiring Trainer
I was hoping beast ball was gong to be a search your deck for Ultra Beast, not a Gladion for an ultra beast. This feels like one of card.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Actually Rayquaza GX is a deck on its own with all the support it has in terms of Mysterious Treasure and Latios Prism Star. Play the deck and you will see that it rivals Malamar decks in speed and damage potential. Until rotation there is also Mew from Fates Collide to mimic Latios Prism Star. Compared to Malamar the deck is a little more weak to abilities punishment but less wek to ability denial.

Of all the builds conceived so far, I'm a fan mostly of running like 2/2 Dragonair with Latias Prism Star and a few Drampa from Dragon Storm as well as a few Drampa from Guardians Rising, the one with Amass.

My main issue with the deck overall is that it's one of the few energy acceleration decks that accelerates on attack, not on ability.

Vikavolt, Gardevoir, Malamar, and Beast Ring are all abilities/effects that let you accelerate and attack in the same turn.

Rayquaza GX currently doesn't have any options for passive energy acceleration that make sense for the deck other than itself (which is limited to the number of times you can drop it on bench, and starting a battle with it in active won't net you any energy), and my issue with that is that just like playing Kiawe in Ho-oh/Turtonator back when that was a thing, you give your opponent the opportunity to interupt your setup phase. I have less of a problem with this for Solgaleo/Newgaleo decks since those GXs have 250 HP and Newgaleo can swing for 120/150 while accelerating while Drampa/Dragonair swing for pretty much nothing, but quite frankly that deck will probably always be too slow to matter (we'll see).

I agree that it has very good damage potential and speed, but it doesn't have the stability compared to ability/item based acceleration. That aspect of stability is weakened even further by Rayquaza GX's milling ability that might lead to doing something like, oh, milling two copies of Cynthia in one turn and screwing you over long term.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I could very much be wrong. I still plan on getting a full playset of Rayquaza GX either way because it has potential and can be controlled with things like Volkner and Mallow.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, even though Rayquaza GX's mill is not mandatory, my interpretation of the ability is that you must mill if you want to attach energy. But if that's not the case and you can choose to not mill and still accelerate energy, then my last point is completely moot.

Last edited:

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi Duo,

You underestimate the speed at which Rayquaza GX can set up with its own ability in addition to Mew and Latias Prism Star. It can set up the board in one turn quite reliably and start to hit from the second turn on.

It could also use Abomasnow to accelerate Grass from the discard but I am more into the pure Dragon and Psychic built. You also forgot about Max Elixir to accelerate onto benched Dragons until rotation. With the high count of Basic Energy in this deck Max Elixir has decent odds to hit. Granted, most acceleration comes from an attack but Latias Prism Star accelerates one energy from the discard to each benched Basic Dragon Pokémon. This could leave you with three Rayquaza GX each having two Basic energies attached on your first turn. If you used Mew to mimic the benched Latias Prism Star he will also set up Latias Prism Star in that process.

While Rayquaza decks do run through the deck fast they are also real consistent. Since you mill the top three cards of your deck to accelerate Basic Energy from the discard you may want two to three Rescue Stretcher to retrieve discarded Rayquaza GX.

Here is a list that i use at the moment. To make it legal for the American Worlds format remove both Drampa for a third Mew and either a fourth Rayquaza GX or a tech Tapu Koko GX. To turn it into an Expanded deck remove one Cynthia, N, and Guzma in adition to one Field Blower to include four Vs Seeker. An alternate Expanded build would require more modification and utilizes Milotic from Flashfire to accelerate energies onto the dragons from the discard.

Charisma of the Wrecked Sky also has a few other excellent cards. Examples are Waillord, Celesteela, Kartana, Registeel, Metagross, Deoxys Attack Forme, Oricorio Pom-Pom, Minum, Altaria, Latias Prism Star, and Latios Prism Star. The supporters and items are nice too but most of them will have to wait until rotation to be relevant. It is hard to outclass Professor Sycamore and N.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Hi Duo,

You underestimate the speed at which Rayquaza GX can set up with its own ability in addition to Mew and Latios Prism Star. It can set up the board in one turn quite reliably and start to hit from the second turn on.

It could also use Abomasnow to accelerate Grass from the discard but I am more into the pure Dragon and Psychic built. You also forgot about Max Elixir to accelerate onto benched Dragons until rotation. With the high count of Basic Energy in this deck Max Elixir has decent odds to hit. Granted, most acceleration comes from an attack but Latios Prism Star accelerates one energy from the discard to each benched Dragon Pokémon. This could leave you with three Rayquaza GX each having two Basic energies attached on your first turn. If you used Mew to mimic the benched Latios Prism Star he will also set up Latios Prism Star in that process.

While Rayquaza decks do run through the deck fast they are also real consistent. Since you mill the top three cards of your deck to accelerate Basic Energy from the discard you may want two to three Rescue Stretcher to retrieve discarded Rayquaza.

Here is a list that i use at the moment. To make it legal for the American Worlds format remove both Drampa for a third Mew and either a fourth Rayquaza Gx or a tech Tapu Koko GX. To turn it into an Expanded deck remove one Cynthia, N, and Guzma in adition to one Field Blower to include four Vs Seeker. An alternate Expanded build would require more modification and utilize Milotic from Flashfire to accelerate energies onto the dragons from the discard.

Charisma of the Wrecked Sky also has a few other excellent cards. Examples are Waillord, Celesteela, Kartana, Registeel, Metagross, Deoxys Attack Forme, Oricorio Pom-Pom, Minum, Altaria, and Latios Prism Star. The supporters and items are nice too but most of them will have to wait until rotation to be relevant. It is hard to outclass Professor Sycamore and N.
You got Latios and Latias mixed up. Latias is the one that accelerates energy. Latios is the one whose damage scales based on the evolved Dragons you have.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Hi Duo,

You underestimate the speed at which Rayquaza GX can set up with its own ability in addition to Mew and Latias Prism Star. It can set up the board in one turn quite reliably and start to hit from the second turn on.

It could also use Abomasnow to accelerate Grass from the discard but I am more into the pure Dragon and Psychic built. You also forgot about Max Elixir to accelerate onto benched Dragons until rotation. With the high count of Basic Energy in this deck Max Elixir has decent odds to hit. Granted, most acceleration comes from an attack but Latias Prism Star accelerates one energy from the discard to each benched Basic Dragon Pokémon. This could leave you with three Rayquaza GX each having two Basic energies attached on your first turn. If you used Mew to mimic the benched Latias Prism Star he will also set up Latias Prism Star in that process.

While Rayquaza decks do run through the deck fast they are also real consistent. Since you mill the top three cards of your deck to accelerate Basic Energy from the discard you may want two to three Rescue Stretcher to retrieve discarded Rayquaza GX.

Here is a list that i use at the moment. To make it legal for the American Worlds format remove both Drampa for a third Mew and either a fourth Rayquaza GX or a tech Tapu Koko GX. To turn it into an Expanded deck remove one Cynthia, N, and Guzma in adition to one Field Blower to include four Vs Seeker. An alternate Expanded build would require more modification and utilizes Milotic from Flashfire to accelerate energies onto the dragons from the discard.

Charisma of the Wrecked Sky also has a few other excellent cards. Examples are Waillord, Celesteela, Kartana, Registeel, Metagross, Deoxys Attack Forme, Oricorio Pom-Pom, Minum, Altaria, Latias Prism Star, and Latios Prism Star. The supporters and items are nice too but most of them will have to wait until rotation to be relevant. It is hard to outclass Professor Sycamore and N.

I keep forgetting to specify that I am thinking about specifically post-rotation, not the current rotation.

Post rotation loses things like Max Elixir and Mew, and while that basically damages all of the good basic GXs and more or less levels the playing ground, it still doesn't change the fact that Rayquaza GX will be attacking to accelerate energy.

That being said, I think that Dragonair+Lady combo is probably the best thing for the deck as far as early game acceleration is concerned, assuming Dragonair doesn't get Guzma'd and its attack effect negated (is that how it works?)

But as I said, I plan on buying a full playset of them and trying to build a deck with him for post-rotation. I'll review the Pokemon you listed to see how I can make them fit into the picture (if appropriate). Expect a decklist thread from me soon so we can start figuring out how to make Rayquaza GX work post rotation.

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
Dang. You have to shuffle your prizes with Beast Ball if you don’t take a UB
funny thing this is a nerfed version of supporter gladion. specific to ultra beast. if i already drew a large portion of the deck, i think gladion or rotom dex in some situations.
@Pankace04, i think its meant for the ability, just like evolutions electrode is.

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
@Audiofreak19, trainers do not count, because they arnt even pokemon, or ultra beast to begin with. Something like plasma cards, team flare gear is referring to the group that is associated with these trainers. Ultra beast have no such organization in the series.

Pankace04

All Hail Lord Goomy!
its specific for ultra beast defense, not useful in any metal decks.
I hope no one is actually considering this out side of a deck that takes metal energy. The only way the card even helps in a non metal deck is if you have like 3 of them benched. Why would you play this if you can't attack with it since it's taking more than half of your bench space?

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Card Theory: Why are there more Guardians in Celestial Storm than in GUARDIANS Rising? [Insert exposed brains and photoshopped surprised faces in the thumbnail]

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
Not really all that useful - perhaps baby bulu in a Tapu Bulu deck as a better option than vikavolt against hoopa/ninetales?

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
Could you make a deck around this fini? Throw in 4 lana, some other healing trainer cards, you could even pair it with zoroark or something.

MystikX

Aspiring Trainer
Could you make a deck around this fini? Throw in 4 lana, some other healing trainer cards, you could even pair it with zoroark or something.

I mean, I built a functioning deck around Altaria-EX with FFI Jynx and Fairy Drop, with BKT Xerneas as an additional attacker.....

ronangorski

Aspiring Trainer
Ahw man! We don't get this product here in Brazil, only the triple pack.
I'm doing a carddex with one card of which pokemon, and I don't want to use Pokemon GX or EX.
Hope we get them some way. :(
Just missing a few pokemon now.