'Charisma of the Wrecked Sky,' Japan's SM7 Set Announced!

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
I think the first attack on Altaria is supposed to prevent damage from Pokemon-GX and Pokemon-EX (at least, the EX symbol appears in the card text, so that's my assumption)

Zero Umbreon

Pyromaniacal sorcerer
Blaziken is... odd. The discard is crippling, but the damage is severe. I don’t know. Altaria is amazingly broken. Hits for 90 damage with Choice Band and Devoured Field and no damage from GXs on the next turn. Latios <>: Would be much better if its attack wasn’t based off evolution Pokémon. Steven’s Decision is absolutely incredible, probably will be played as a one-of in a lot of decks. As for Lisia, kind of bad unless you run a ton of Prizm Stars. That said, if you do, it’s great. All in all, a great batch of cards!

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Steven is cool. Powerful, but super balanced. Forces an N, which can't happen post rotation. Then again, Judge is even more disruptive.

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
First thoughts:

-I think Blaziken could see more success in Expanded than Standard, since Blacksmith helps offset the discard cost and there are a lot more consistency options to get Stage-2s into play. That second attack (when paired with Choice Band) is an OHKO on practically anything (barring Wailord-EX). I guess the real question is whether a theoretical Blaziken deck would ever have the speed to keep up with something like Buzzwole...

-Steven's Decision is a really interesting card to see as we prepare to enter a format without N, and it could end up becoming our best T1 Supporter option. It'll also be really good if any kind of Stall strategy pops up in the future that doesn't rely on attacking, but the metagame as it stands seems far too aggressive for those kind of strategies to really work

-Lisia seems strong to me simply on the merit of being able to search out Beast Energy for no cost, but otherwise it seems pretty underpowered. Nevertheless, as we get more and more Prism Star cards, we may see decks even start playing 3-4 of them, so Lisia could be a card that ends up becoming much more competitively relevant as time goes on

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Latios is perfect for fluffynite, actually so good that it might give the deck some wings. Lisia is pretty bad because right now prism stars are all supporters, which can't be played the same turn you play her, or pokemon, and most decks just run one prism star poke if any.

Steven is good without N around, similar to Kiawe for fire decks as a t1 supporter but for every deck and will be some competition for Lillie for that turn 1 supporter use. It's especially good for stage 2 decks since it will easily get you candy + stage 2 and then either an energy to attack with it or a Cynthia to shuffle your hand.

Altaria-GX is a pretty solid card as well, keep in mind we get fight song Altaria too, which will easily let you get to 120 damage for 2HKO on most of the meta.

Blaziken-GX is obviously intended to work with Champion Road Blaziken. I don't think it will be that great of a deck considering you can hit that number more consistently with a stage 1/basic combo, but it will be at least playable.

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
So we have Blaziken GX and Charizard GX, but no GX cards for the other starters of those regions? I feel like that would be good for collectors to have the group and a mini set could even be based around Sceptile GX or Blastoise GX or any other starter that is missed out.

I'm still holding out for Groudon and Kyogre to have Prism Stars as Rayquaza had a GX, but they would make could GX cards too. I'm really impressed with our set so far.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I can see Steven’s Decicion used in Expanded. Wailord and Sableye-Garb.

I can see Sableye-Garb using it instead of maybe Sycamore for potential 1st turn plays.

I can see Lisia being played in Buzzwole decks. Turn 1 90-30 is heinous and hard to stare down. And a helluva way to start a game

John Healey

Spread Player
OMFG Lisia? Did Buzz really need a solo ultra ball (hell, mystery treasure at this point) to get beast energy + diancie in play? This is sincerely going to be terrible.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Lol Altaria is its own counter. On other news, Zygarde GX is almost irrelevant now. Burning energy could be nice with Blaziken. I don't like that they recycled Umbrion gxes gx attack. Anyone else think Euphoria VS is going to get a different name? The name and attack effect are a bit suggestive. Of course, that may just be my brain.

Dar Ksereth

Aspiring Trainer
Latios is perfect for fluffynite, actually so good that it might give the deck some wings. Lisia is pretty bad because right now prism stars are all supporters, which can't be played the same turn you play her, or pokemon, and most decks just run one prism star poke if any.

Steven is good without N around, similar to Kiawe for fire decks as a t1 supporter but for every deck and will be some competition for Lillie for that turn 1 supporter use. It's especially good for stage 2 decks since it will easily get you candy + stage 2 and then either an energy to attack with it or a Cynthia to shuffle your hand.

Altaria-GX is a pretty solid card as well, keep in mind we get fight song Altaria too, which will easily let you get to 120 damage for 2HKO on most of the meta.

Blaziken-GX is obviously intended to work with Champion Road Blaziken. I don't think it will be that great of a deck considering you can hit that number more consistently with a stage 1/basic combo, but it will be at least playable.
you forgot the two prism star energies, but yea.

altaria is looking downright terrifying. invulnerability to GX's and EX's, which will be even more prevalent now, the ability to run a couple of the other altaria, and even more incredible is that you can play lance prism star to summon TWO ALTARIAS, so you could even have six altarias out and about in the field, it's honestly NUTS. and zinnia allows you to charge them up in one turn too, while having the buffing altarias singing in the backline. i'm honestly a little disgusted at how good this theorycrafted deck is.

blaziken looks playable. but you need to set 2 gx's down and a regular one, the retreat cost of 1 on the GX is really nice because then you can play it sort of like a "malamar ultra necrozma" (albeit much more inconsistent) by using escape board. or guzma with say a koko.

i'm kind of excited for these new expansions, dragon isn't looking just playable now, it's starting to look competitive.

oh and you can run latios prism with said altaria to hit at the very least 150, plus 2 singing altarias 190, plus CB 220. absolutely disgusting.

NeedleKingSR

Night March is overrated
I recently made a Charizard GX/Ho-oh GX deck in Expanded, and I can see Blaziken working with that (which btw it works surprisingly well, with Eternal Flame GX). First turn Kiawe on Ho-oh, get turn 2 Eternal Flame, 3 Blazikens down, then Blacksmith, attach, you're golden.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Didn't we just get a Dragon Altaria that was still W/M? Or did it just use W with no second type?
Dragon Altaria used Water and Steel energies in the past. The type change was most likely done because Altaria's Mega Evolution is part Fairy.

The Dragon Storm/Dragon Majesty Altaria uses Colorless energy.

Last edited:

DeadlyBee111

Aspiring Trainer
That 210 on Blaziken-GX has my attention and again Altaria-GX showing use why DDE needs to be reprinted enough said.
Altaria shows us that dde is bot getting reprinted. The first attack with dde setup is broken. Dragon will/get zennia too which is a ok way to accelerate energies.

Btw altaria is bdif? Format is getting slower just play 4-3-2altaria 3 gx 2 flight song maybe even 4-4-3 depanding how good u get them but mysterious treaser finds them so i think should be fine. U attack for 50-120 depanding on cb and flight songs. Shots normaly. Xennia latias latios treasure lance are great.

Btw cuz of lance u actually could play a 4-4/3 altaria line (gx/baby).

Btw u will play a basic fairy non gx attacker for mirror and dont even care about the 2nd attack of altaria