News Japan's SM6b, 'Champion Road'!

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Looks neat with the motherboard lines in the background but I can't wait for a clearer picture of it.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Letter of the law vs. spirit of the law.

The spirit of the law is that the Trainer is an Apricorn Maker, as in, someone who makes Poke Balls. So the card is only meant to look for Poke Ball cards, as even the ruling states.

This isn't even a discussion. :p

The Apricorn Maker makes Poké Balls. Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick is about having a surprise Poké Ball... or at least that is what it seems like to someone who gave up on the video games long ago. If it represents some other "ball" then maybe explain that to me? ^^' Does that really strike you as being the same as someone insisting that, because the card name "Balloon Berry" contains the letters "b", "a", "l", and "l" in order, it ought to be a legal target? Oh well, even if it does...

Apricorn Maker cannot search out Maxie in the Japanese version, as the card specifies Ball in katakana characters(bo-ru), which all types of pokeballs use. Maxies card, while it does say hidden ball trick, it uses the kanji for ball, which is read as tama. Therefore it cannot be retreived.

Hope this clears it up!

Thank you! Yes, it clears it up quite nicely. :)

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting for the FA Copycat card! then we can play her in the Legacy format!

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Mr. Rhyperior what is your rating scale again? I mean, I have no idea what the numbers really mean, save that I assume more Geodudes is better. What I don't know is the maximum number of Geodudes you award, the minimum, and what each specific amount means. ^^' Anyway, my comments will sound more harsh than they actually are because I'm rushing. 'Cept the last one; not trying to yell at you, but you suggested bringing back a card I despire. XP If I don't comment, we probably agreed (though maybe not 100%).

Anyway, a few where I had further questions or comments:

Not sure what you mean. I'm worried about getting enough [W] Energy in the discard over and over again to score key OHKO's and 2HKO's, but the Ability lets you discard [W] Energy from hand. So you just need to focus on getting Water Energy cards to your hand from your deck over and over again. If that is what you meant, it isn't really "discards" that's the issue, but effective Energy search.

I want to agree, but IIRC I thought the same of the Ludicolo that inspired it, and coupled with Magcargo, come-from-behind cards (due to the slow start), and anti-Pokémon-ex effects, it became a competitive deck, at least for a time. So... yeah, wish it did at least 20 more damage, but maybe it'll be able to afford Professor Kukui most turns? The goal will be three Ludicolo Swing Dancing and three Magcargo Smoothing Over. Smooth Dance! Or was it "Swing Over"? ;)

Unless you use something like Wally so that it can hit the field ASAP, you should be able to not only Evolve Voltorb into Electrode-GX... but whatever Evolving Basic goes with your Pokémon-GX into the desired Pokémon-GX. Stage 2 Pokémon will need Rare Candy, though. I still think a deck would run 2-2, in case of being Prized or in case they can spare another two Prizes; it is unlikely, but far from impossible.

A lot destroys these Abilities. Alolan Muk is sticking around, so Abilities on Basics are still vulnerable after rotation. Guzma is sticking around, so you can't have anything vulnerable on your Bench. Raw power can punch through. Just having one attacker that hits even amounts and another that hits odd amounts means you're pretty safe (barring Mr. Mime-GX backed by a control/disruption deck). Now factor in Choice Band. ;) I was around for these card's predecessors, and while they could be annoying, it was when you were using specific decks.

Clarification: these are updates to the ones featured as singles in the classic Suns & Moons deck from back in the day. They really need the other versions, and the other versions kind of need these. ;)

To be fair, it saw a little success WotC days. The short version is we didn't know what we were doing, just like we wouldn't know if it wasn't for better communication infrastructure on top of nearly 20 years of experience for the player base. ;) Oh, and the original version of Special Energy, and I think the deck also used Slowking (Neo Genesis). Slowking made almost anything fake competitive. XD

I am starting to think even the Neo Genesis Sneasel was framed, turned into a scapegoat for the brokeness of other cards. :p I can't double check, but didn't they slap a Retreat Cost of [C} on this one? That may hurt more than the Weakness!

Probably, but it looks really fun. If we get something that protects the Bench again and is just a Basic, then it still is too expensive and risky, but might barely fake being competitive...

Okay, almost certainly not, but I really liked its predecessor in Team Battles...

Is any Pokémon friendly on Bench-space? ;) If you're thinking you need multiples, that should only be certain decks. Most decks will wish they could spare room for one of these on the Bench, and at least a few will manage it. I mean, for general support.

This is why we don't have the old Rare Candy effect anymore. XP

Never hurts to have extra options, and needing a specific basic Energy back is less common than needing a specific Pokémon, but not unheard of even for past competitive decks.

Pretty sure Stage 2 Pokémon need to be "pre-nerfed" when there's a universal shortcut. I'd rather they made Evolving Basics and Stage 1's better while slowing down Basics so there was time to Evolve. Yeah, unrealistic. ;)

No. VS Seeker might be safe eventually, but if it is a format where it is an automatic three or four-of for most decks, it is a format where VS Seeker shouldn't be legal. Scramble Energy is flat out a "Never again!" in my book. Nothing like working hard to take the lead just to lose it because of one card lazily tossed onto their Evolutions. There's "Come from behind", and there's "F--- you for even tryin'!" cards, and this is one of the latter. XP

In English, it is just a matter of phrasing, like "A Trainer with a name that contains the word 'Ball'..." so that just having the letters "B", "A", "L", and "L" next to each other won't count. Honestly, using a Supporter to fetch another Supporter isn't that effective, so I believe it should snag Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick unless the name doesn't work in the original Japanese.[/QUOTE]
I go a like on your reply because I understand your side, and I learned from it. Steelix deck was good because of... Cleffas, Special Metal. Yeah. Thanks, sir. About the Geodude system, the rating depends on how good this card should be.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Does that really strike you as being the same as someone insisting that, because the card name "Balloon Berry" contains the letters "b", "a", "l", and "l" in order, it ought to be a legal target?

The only kind of person that would do that is someone who doesn't have a basic grasp of the English language and therefore should not be playing a game that requires the player to be able to read. It would have to be typed out as "B-A-L-L" on the card in order for that to be the meaning and not searching for the isolated word those letters make.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
The only kind of person that would do that is someone who doesn't have a basic grasp of the English language and therefore should not be playing a game that requires the player to be able to read. It would have to be typed out as "B-A-L-L" on the card in order for that to be the meaning and not searching for the isolated word those letters make.
That doesn’t work for Maxie’s though. IMO in English it should say that it searches for an item with the word ball on it to prevent this.

Charjabus

Beep Beep
Lol the potato quality.
picture quality asides.
Art is good but the card itself is quite meh. If I were to actually want to get a draw card while avoiding decking out i'd just use then maintenance item card.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Who wanted this full art?

ANSWER: no one

Who wants a Copycat full art instead?

ANSWER: Everyone.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
I hate to be repetitive but this reveal basically confirms my statement that this set was going to be Evolutions 2.0. All of the playable cards are common/uncommon and there aren't that many (Magcargo, Dunsparce, Sableye, Friend Ball, and Copycat are likely to see play, Ho-oh, Pokenav, Lure Ball and possibly ERS might see some play). Of the GXes, Mr. Mime is cute, but choice band destroys its ability to reliably lock since it turns any odd damage into even and any even into odd. Maybe it'll see play in 2020. Scizor is probably playable but not anything special considering how much playable metal we already have.

I really, really don't get the multiple reprints of obviously bad (in a contemporary context) supporters that do practically the same thing as bad supporters we already have. Why would you ever play Bill's Maintenance or TV reporter over Hau/Tierno/Cheren? Why Expedition when Looker is going to be better 90+% of the time? These cards needed buffs even more badly than the pokemon did to have a chance at seeing play.
You, sir, underestimate the power of nostalgia, meme decks, and MagZoro.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
He said in order, as in Maxie's hidden BALL trick, not Bursting bALLoon or even bursting BALLoon.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
That doesn’t work for Maxie’s though. IMO in English it should say that it searches for an item with the word ball on it to prevent this.

That would make the most sense. Whether or not that means it's more likely or less likely to happen however is probably 50:50.