Discussion Is Sylveon GX Relevant??

MrFreezeMiser

10° Below
Wanted to get peoples take on Sylveon GX. Is trying to control the game relevant anymore with the latest expansions, ultra prism and forbidden light>?

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
It's been doing rather decent recently. Especially with the additions of things like Gardevoir-GX, Hoopa, Xurkitree and potentially the new Sylveon.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Sylveon has started being better after ultra prisms looking at the latest regionals. However it's not overly prevalent usually only a few placements because it requires your opponents having crappy luck and the sylveon player being good at anticipating what they need to magical ribbon. Oranguru from ultra prism is a very good tech against sylveon though so if they play that winning is allot harder

Luxinity

Elegant Cosplayer
Obviously, for a single Fairy Energy you can search for up to 3 cards of your choosing,

optimal_max

Aspiring Trainer
One of my least favorite decks to play against. When played correctly it is tough to beat. It can always get the cards it needs. And there are too many trainer cards out there that return cards from the discard to the deck to recycle cards for Sylveon to abuse. It can be beat obviously, particularly by decks that recycle energies from the discard pile (Volcanion or Metagross decks come to mind).

But, IMO yes it is relevant.

MrFreezeMiser

10° Below
Thank you for the reply. When I play the deck IRL i feel that it isn't as consistent as it is on PTCGO solely based on the starting hand.

On PTCGO i rarely go over two starting draws without an eevee. Meanwhile, IRL I often go five draws and at that point the deck is useless.

*maybe im bad at shuffling (?) * hahaha

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
It's absolutely relevant, it has nabbed some top 16s, it's not a meta defining deck but it's above par and most certainly playable. Post-rotation it becomes an even better card because we're losing consistency supporters, N in particular. People will have to Judge or Peeking Red Card to disrupt your hand. Judge is the kind of supporter you're loathe to play since it puts you behind as well and Peeking Red Card doesn't actually lower your handsize, it just gets specific cards you wanted out of it so it just changes the search three for an effective draw 3, still gets you ahead and unless they're playing metal you can plan on getting at least 2-3 magical ribbons before most cards are able to KO you.

semurphy444

Aspiring Trainer
There are some decks that Sylveon can struggle against (Anything that self accelerates energy) but you really have to think ahead and try to trap a non-threat in the active. Also Hoopa can be teched in to block some decks.

GymLdrJesse

Twitter @JessePrker
Sylveon is either a very good deck or a very bad deck. It is matchup dependent, meaning if you A. know what your doing with the deck, and B. play against a zoroark variant, or anything that relies on DCE.
It is a very hard deck to play at a high level, as it requires knowing every matchup and what cards to take off magical ribbon.
The best variant right now runs 4-3 sylveon, 1-1 gardy, and 1 hoopa.
It also recently had 2 top 8 finishes at the cup i just attended (30+ masters) and 2 top 64 finishes at Portland Regionals.

So, yes..it is relevant. for now...

The Last Shaymin

Floof
Heh. Heh heh.

Sylveon will be relevant as long as there are cards to support it. For example, one of the core cards is the team flare grunt.

Team flare grunt allows sylveon to decrease the opponent's energy levels. It can be used with counter catcher to guarantee the discarding of energy, or to put up something useless after the energy is gone.

Hoopa helps this deck, as you can put up a dead GX and acerola the sylveons(my favorite play) and mill the energy they use to retreat the pokemon, and recycle cards with lusamine.

Lusamine is incredibly useful as it allows you to have *almost* infinite resources. this allows you to repeatedly cycle the mill cards over and over and over and over again.

Team rocket's handiwork is nice because lategame, when you successfully rid them of their energy, you can end the game really easily.

This deck only needs to win one game, because it is incredibly effective at making the 2nd game take forever.

Team skull grunt can assist you in discarding said energy. Enhanced hammer and crushing hammer help a lot against those decks like zoroark.

One issue this deck has is greninja. *angrily writes sentence* Greninja is SOOOOO ANNNNNNOYING. ARRRRRRRGH. STOOOOOOP HELP HELP.

You get the idea? basically, any deck that recycles energy is SOO INFURIATING. ROTATE ALREADY, STARMIE

Sylveon is incredibly effective against decks that run 4 DCE. So, zoroark decks are relatively easy to beat, but the puzzles get in the way. That's why you handiwork them, and try to get rid of the puzzles.

Speaking of puzzles, those are amazing in sylveon. they help you get your counter catchers, max potions, and hammers back to increase your mill capacity.

Sylveon's attack is amazing. The only thing that comes close is talonflame, and that is a weak, pathetic, and complete garbage 130 HP, and you can only get one of those out. 3 free cards for one energy? sign me up.

in all, sylveon is the BDIF. I call it.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Heh. Heh heh.

Sylveon will be relevant as long as there are cards to support it. For example, one of the core cards is the team flare grunt.

Team flare grunt allows sylveon to decrease the opponent's energy levels. It can be used with counter catcher to guarantee the discarding of energy, or to put up something useless after the energy is gone.

Hoopa helps this deck, as you can put up a dead GX and acerola the sylveons(my favorite play) and mill the energy they use to retreat the pokemon, and recycle cards with lusamine.

Lusamine is incredibly useful as it allows you to have *almost* infinite resources. this allows you to repeatedly cycle the mill cards over and over and over and over again.

Team rocket's handiwork is nice because lategame, when you successfully rid them of their energy, you can end the game really easily.

This deck only needs to win one game, because it is incredibly effective at making the 2nd game take forever.

Team skull grunt can assist you in discarding said energy. Enhanced hammer and crushing hammer help a lot against those decks like zoroark.

One issue this deck has is greninja. *angrily writes sentence* Greninja is SOOOOO ANNNNNNOYING. ARRRRRRRGH. STOOOOOOP HELP HELP.

You get the idea? basically, any deck that recycles energy is SOO INFURIATING. ROTATE ALREADY, STARMIE

Sylveon is incredibly effective against decks that run 4 DCE. So, zoroark decks are relatively easy to beat, but the puzzles get in the way. That's why you handiwork them, and try to get rid of the puzzles.

Speaking of puzzles, those are amazing in sylveon. they help you get your counter catchers, max potions, and hammers back to increase your mill capacity.

Sylveon's attack is amazing. The only thing that comes close is talonflame, and that is a weak, pathetic, and complete garbage 130 HP, and you can only get one of those out. 3 free cards for one energy? sign me up.

in all, sylveon is the BDIF. I call it.

Not sure about BDIF at all, but its probs 4 decks behind.