Discussion Card limits

Dark Mathter

Aspiring Trainer
I've recently gotten into the tcg and I have a question about expanded deck building, I currently have 4 Haus, but I was wondering if I could use additional Tiernos too. I'm asking this question because Hau and Tierno both do the exact same thing, they just have different names.

Thank you!

You can only have 4 copies of any card in your deck, and those copies are determined by the name of the card and not what else is printed on it.

Of note on the whole 4 copies thing since you're getting started: there are some cards you can't have more than one of, like Prism and Ace Spec cards, but when you come across those their conditions are written on them. 4 card limits don't apply to basic energy cards.

I've recently gotten into the tcg and I have a question about expanded deck building, I currently have 4 Haus, but I was wondering if I could use additional Tiernos too. I'm asking this question because Hau and Tierno both do the exact same thing, they just have different names.

Thank you!

The only reason this is confusing is because of bad decisions by the powers-that-be. ;)

Let us start with your specific question; there is no rule preventing you from running 4 Hau and 4 Tierno in your deck. If you were playing using the rules for the Expanded Format, which allows cards from Black & White and later releases, you could even include 4 Cheren as well! Pokémon cares about card name and not card effect for the "4 Copy Rule" of deck building. This is very important as it means all cards named "Mewtwo" fight for the same four slots but Mewtwo-EX only has to compete against other Mewtwo-EX.

It should be this simple, but there are a few exceptions, which I'll name and explain behind a Spoiler tab. This is intermediate level stuff, not beginner, so you might want to come back and read it a little later. If I don't list it, though, someone like me will come along and feel the need to explain it anyway. XD

• Professor Oak's Research and Prof. Oak's Research - Professor Oak's Research is an older card, but a useful example. This card was released three times (not counting Japanese exclusive releases). The second time it was released, its name was printed as "Prof. Oak's Research". "Prof." is a written abbreviation for "Professor" in formal American English, especially for titles, the way "Dr." is for "Doctor". As such, the names are actually the same. A Standard legal card named Shauna has the exact same stats and effects as Professor Oak's Research but is treated as an entirely separate card. If you were building a deck for the Unlimited Format, you could only run four total copies of Professor Oak's Reseach and Prof. Oak's Research, but regardless of how many of either you used, you could run up to four copies of Shauna as well.
  • Professor Juniper and Professor Sycamore - There is a specific rule made to prevent people from running these two cards together. This is because the powers-that-be are worried they'd be too powerful if you could run up to four of each. I am uncertain as to whether this should still be the case, as now they are only both legal in the Expanded Format.
  • Cards with different limits printed on them - If you've seen the new Prism Star cards, you'll notice they have a text box under their artwork, that lists the "Prism Star" Rule. This overrides the usual 4 Copy Rule, and it states you may cannot have more than one Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. You can run more than one Prism Star card, but they cannot have the same name. If you play in the Expanded Format, you'll also find Ace Spec cards. For some reason, they have a sideways text box on them, but it still counts, and it states that you may only have one Ace Spec card in your deck. So, you cannot run four copies of a card like Scramble Switch and if you use it, you cannot also inclide another Ace Spec card in your deck.
  • Card names that are not card names - Probably the most confusing, sometimes things that are printed by the name of a card don't actually count as that cards name. I do not recall any of these being Expanded or Standard legal right now, but they have happened before. Examples are Delta Pokémon and Level-Up cards; if you look for it, you'll find a card that looks like it is named "Mewtwo δ Delta Species". In reality, it is just named "Mewtwo"; the "δ Delta Species" text is at the top of the card but is centered between the card name and card HP. It helps that "δ Delta Species" uses a differently sized font. Much less obvious are the Level-Up cards; "Mewtwo LV.X" is actually named "Mewtwo" even though "LV.X" is immediately after the name "Mewtwo". Font size doesn't help; though the font size varies, the "LV." is small while the "X" is large! You can have four cards named "Mewtwo" in your deck, but both of these cards count as being named "Mewtwo".

For Tierno, Hau, and Cheren, you may play 4 of each. For Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper, you can play four of ONE of them, due to how powerful they are

For Tierno, Hau, and Cheren, you may play 4 of each. For Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper, you can play four of ONE of them, due to how powerful they are

And a special rule just for Professor Juniper and Professor Sycamore. That rule was passed because of how powerful the cards are but if we suddenly get a reprint of Professor Oak's New Theory, even though it is just Cynthia by another name, they're both legal to use together unless the game rules are changed.

And a special rule just for Professor Juniper and Professor Sycamore. That rule was passed because of how powerful the cards are but if we suddenly get a reprint of Professor Oak's New Theory, even though it is just Cynthia by another name, they're both legal to use together unless the game rules are changed.

They'll allow it because Cynthia gives a bonus to Garchomp. Outside of that these kinds of rulings on cards seem inconsistent.

Back