Discussion Ultra Necrozma-GX Deck Options

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone, so I'm very interested in building an Ultra Necrozma-GX deck once Forbidden Light is released. My question is who do you think will be it's best partner? The go-to answer seems to be Malamar, but I do have my concerns. Malamar only attaches Energy to your benched Pokémon, meaning the Ultra Necrozma-GX you just attacked with last turn is sitting in your active with a single Metal Energy. So with that said, would you play a higher count of cards like Switch, Multi-Switch, Escape Rope, Float Stone, etc.?

Or do you think a Pokémon like Metagross-GX could be a better partner? A Stage 2 Metal Pokémon that covers Ultra Necrozma-GX's weakness and is able to accelerate Energy directly to your active seems really good, at least in theory. It is a Stage 2 so that can lead to some inconsistency, but I feel like this build would be a lot better once set up compared to the Malamar version. What do you all think?

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hands down Malamar since it can use Mystery Treasure to increase the consistency of the deck and there are several options to handle the retreat issue.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Hands down Malamar since it can use Mystery Treasure to increase the consistency of the deck and there are several options to handle the retreat issue.

I feel like you're either going to play Ultra Ball or Mystery Treasure though, depending on the deck. For Ultra Necrozma-GX/Malamar, Mystery Treause is the way to go, but for most other decks Ultra Ball provides the same thing, and some decks prefer the 2 card discard as opposed to the 1.

There are several options to handle the retreat issue, I guess my concern is does having to include more retreat options hurt the deck's consistency? (ie: top decking cards like Switch when you don't need it) I have no clue since I haven't been able to test anything from the new set. I do plan to try both variants.

Articuno_Aria

Articuno is UNO for a reason
I feel like you're either going to play Ultra Ball or Mystery Treasure though, depending on the deck. For Ultra Necrozma-GX/Malamar, Mystery Treause is the way to go, but for most other decks Ultra Ball provides the same thing, and some decks prefer the 2 card discard as opposed to the 1.

I would for sure run Mysterious Treasure over Ultra Ball if you're planning to play a Psychic deck

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
Dawn Wings Necrozma really helps with the switching problem in the Malamar version of Ultra Necrozma. Metagross-GX seems cool, but I think Malamar is a bit more consistent since you can play Ultra Ball and Mysterious Treasure.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar

There are several options to handle the retreat issue, I guess my concern is does having to include more retreat options hurt the deck's consistency? (ie: top decking cards like Switch when you don't need it) I have no clue since I haven't been able to test anything from the new set. I do plan to try both variants.

Actually you run four Mystery Treasure and three to four Ultra Ball in Ultra Necrozma decks. The additional search items make the deck incredibly consistent. Personally I would also run one Brigette in the deck. While it is not a necessity it helps a lot tpo have 1/6 of the deck as an out to any Pokémon you want from the deck. As retreat options you run either three to four Float Stones or three to four Altar of the Moone in addition to Dawn Wings Necrozma GX. You can see a sample decklist when searching the deck forum for Sinister Intention. The deck worked real well for me.

uncleyuri

~
Yeah so probably like a 4-3 Inkay/Malamar line, 2 dawn wings Necrozma, 4 ultra ball, 4 mystery treasure, and 3-4 float stones. Seems like that would be a very, very consistent base for accomplishing what ultra Necrozma is trying to do.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Actually you run four Mystery Treasure and three to four Ultra Ball in Ultra Necrozma decks. The additional search items make the deck incredibly consistent. Personally I would also run one Brigette in the deck. While it is not a necessity it helps a lot tpo have 1/6 of the deck as an out to any Pokémon you want from the deck. As retreat options you run either three to four Float Stones or three to four Altar of the Moone in addition to Dawn Wings Necrozma GX. You can see a sample decklist when searching the deck forum for Sinister Intention. The deck worked real well for me.

I forgot about Altar of the Moone, that sounds like a good Stadium to run. I've seen a few lists online and most have opted for 4 Mystery Treasure and no Ultra Ball so I just assumed people were playing one or the other. The Dawn Wings + Float Stone combo works, I see how the deck could run better than the Metagross-GX variant I was thinking of.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Check out the lists from Japan and some other lists in the deck forum. Seven searchb items that also allow the deck to discard cards turned out to be a sweet spot for me. I like to devote the eight Pokémon search slot to Brigette to have the option of a faster start. Also make sure to include two non-GX attackers in the list. Nice options seem to be Mimikyu, Lunala Prism Star, and Mew. More than one Mew is not needed since despite popular optinion on American forums he sure is not the star of the show and he is not needed to hit for weakness either. He is often included as a 1-off tech to have a more offensive non-GX attacker that can potentially deal with Safe Guard Pokémon such as Alolan Ninetales, Hoopa, and Zygarde GX after he had used Verdict GX. Attempting to make him the star of the show equals being commited to being forced to search for a Basic Metal each turn and having to get in three attachments on consecutive turns. He also increases a common weakness of the deck when being focused on too much.