Discussion Zygarde GX Pairability

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
With Forbidden Light quickly approaching, I've been focusing on cards that could be paired with Zygarde GX since it hits the numbers in theory and is gimmicky. Right now, the options I've thought about pairing Zygarde with (besides Baby Buzzwole/Diance/ and octillery) include
Crabominable
Buzzwole
and Decidueye

What I'm wondering is there any other interesting combinations people have been thinking about with Zygarde and what do they think will be the most viable as Forbidden Light quickly approaches?

In my mind Zoroark-GX would be a good choice due to the double colorless energy synergy. Lycanroc-GX is another pokemon that benefits from double colorless energy (but also has grass weakness)

Lucario-GX is another option. Carbink Break is a good choice to accelerate energy onto Zygarde.

I like the idea of pairing it with Lucario/Zoroark GX as a one energy attacker. I've also want to try Zygarde with Garbodor but feel it might be a worse Buzzwole in that regard.

Zoroark is probably best sense you gotta use bonnie every turn for zygarde to be somewhat decent. Which means puzzles to recover the stadiums and supporters as well as getting draw you set up past the initial zygarde

Zoroark / Zygarde seems to be the optimal use out of him. Should make sense given that both Pokémon can use Double Colorless Energy, you can get the basic energies attached if you discard them with Zoroark, and if you're opponent doesn't find a way through Zygarde's GX attack, that's only more times you get to trade cards with Zoroark, which sounds busted. Good luck with Golisopod though. Despite the decrease in popularity, Golisopod is still played here and there, and Zygarde won't even get the chance to attack if Golisopod can constantly snipe it and OHKO it. Other than one singular bad MU, I don't know much else besides the previously-mentioned options.

Zoroark is probably best sense you gotta use bonnie every turn for zygarde to be somewhat decent. Which means puzzles to recover the stadiums and supporters as well as getting draw you set up past the initial zygarde

Bonnie helps, but Zygarde-GX can easily hit relevant numbers with Land's Wrath. Base 130 damage, boosted by Choice Band + Strong Energy + Diancie Prism Star = 200 damage with no drawback, add a Regirock-EX and you're hitting 210. Cell Connecter allows you to attach the necessary Energy requirements in a single turn. Also having 200 HP itself and is a Basic Pokémon is great. The only downside to this card is it's weakness. You take an auto-loss to Golisopod-GX, even if you do tech in another Fighting-type attacker or two.

Bonnie helps, but Zygarde-GX can easily hit relevant numbers with Land's Wrath. Base 130 damage, boosted by Choice Band + Strong Energy + Diancie Prism Star = 200 damage with no drawback, add a Regirock-EX and you're hitting 210. Cell Connecter allows you to attach the necessary Energy requirements in a single turn. Also having 200 HP itself and is a Basic Pokémon is great. The only downside to this card is it's weakness. You take an auto-loss to Golisopod-GX, even if you do tech in another Fighting-type attacker or two.
Golisopod GX is something I am also concerned about for Zygarde GX, which is why I've considered teching in Reshiram or playing Silvally with fire memory.

If your doing all that set up for the bad attack of zygardes you would just use buzzwole the gx attack block is why the card is somewhat relevant but 4 energy for 130 is not enough even with modifiers

If your doing all that set up for the bad attack of zygardes you would just use buzzwole the gx attack block is why the card is somewhat relevant but 4 energy for 130 is not enough even with modifiers

Except Zygarde-GX can accelerate the needed energy onto itself in a single turn whereas with Buzzwole-GX you need to hit Max Elixirs. Not saying Zygarde-GX is better than Buzzwole-GX by any means because it's not, but it does have more going for it than just Bonnie, and I think it's a better GX than some are giving it credit for. 200 HP Basic, a DCE attack that accelerates two Energy onto itself, a GX that can completely shut down some decks if you can set it up right, and a standard attack that can hit relevant numbers with all the damage modifiers Fighting-types have. Buzzwole-GX is certainly the better of the two though, especially with access to Beast Ring now.

I plan on pairing it with Silvally when it comes out to test out. Free retreat for Zygge as well as Diancie+Regirock is cool, and more energy acceleration. You can also slap Fire Memory on Silvally to OHKO Golisopod instantly. If I can make it work with a Zoro+Silvally engine, I'll try to. Puzzle of Time to recover stadiums and Bonnie (without burning Lusamine) is neat. I think it'll be clunky, but worth the attempt!

Back