• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Raichu-GX Deck Idea?

jocharbonneau

jo.charb
Hey there, I used to run a Magnezone (BKT)/Lugia-EX deck last year. Since i realize that Magnezone will be back in forbidden light, I'd like to run a SunMoon only Raichu-GX deck. Can you help me?

Pokémon(14)
4 Raichu-GX
4 Pikachu
2 Magnemite
1 Magneton
2 Magnezone
1 Tapu Koko

Trainer Cards(31)
2 Cynthia
2 Guzma
3 Acerola
3 Volkner
1 Olivia

4 Ultra Ball
4 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
2 Field Blower
4 Energy Retrieval
2 Rare Candy
1 Rescue Stretcher

3 Conservation Area

Energy(14)
14 Lightning energy

Total 59 cards. What would you add/change?

Thank you guys!!!

semurphy444

Aspiring Trainer
I do think you'll need Tapu-Lele-GX (or 2) and a Brigette to get started. I think 4 BodyBuilding dumbells are just too many, especially if your goal is to pick everything up and put it back down. Volkner will help pull out an energy, and you do have energy recovery with Retrievals, However I think your list is really lacking a way to pull energy out of the deck and into your hand. Might I suggest (Clemont) (oldschool if you want it right now) or Lady (releasing in Forbidden Light)... Both of those supporters let you take 4 basic energy from your deck, and put into your hand....which with Magnezone- means you put them right onto your pokes.

Also the Conservation Area only gives the decreased damage to basics, so probably can be cut.

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
I think playing just SM, seems probably bad, but being someone who is coming into the game now also I can see why you wouldn't want to buy cards that are rotating in a few months as well.
Personally, I really like the snuggly generator Raichu engine and have found it pairs well (for a rouge deck) with garbodor

jocharbonneau

jo.charb
I do think you'll need Tapu-Lele-GX (or 2) and a Brigette to get started. I think 4 BodyBuilding dumbells are just too many, especially if your goal is to pick everything up and put it back down. Volkner will help pull out an energy, and you do have energy recovery with Retrievals, However I think your list is really lacking a way to pull energy out of the deck and into your hand. Might I suggest (Clemont) (oldschool if you want it right now) or Lady (releasing in Forbidden Light)... Both of those supporters let you take 4 basic energy from your deck, and put into your hand....which with Magnezone- means you put them right onto your pokes.

Also the Conservation Area only gives the decreased damage to basics, so probably can be cut.
Thanks a lot, your answer is really useful. I think too that 4 dumbbells is a lot but i don't which card to add in my deck. Except for Lady that i will add soon. Lele is too expensive...

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Dumbbells frankly suck as an item because they can easily be removed and do nothing on your turn, their efficacy is 100% dependent on your opponent not being able to play a field blower, most decks shoot for 2HKO these days so they have two turns to find one. They won't save you from getting OHKO by Buzzwole which is this deck's biggest problem. I would always, always play choice band over that card since it adds damage and does it on your turn. You should probably run 3 or so of them.

Since you're devoted to SM on (which is something most people in this thread seem to neglect) Snuggly Generator, which is imo by far the best way to play Raichu is off the table since it requires Pikachu GEN. You're very dependent on having a Magnemite on your bench t1 so I would make sure you have 2-3 nest balls in the deck, they'll help fill your bench out early in absence of a Brigette. You 100% need 4 Cynthia, there is no reason to not run 4 Cynthia in a SM on deck, its too good of a consistency card to not go all out on. I usually don't like Volkner but it's a pretty cool card here in absence of the more effective draw supports of the XY era. I'd bump your Guzma up to at least 3 and maybe include a Judge or two since it's being reprinted. Lady as you already noted will be a mandatory card to make this work. I think you overinvest in energy retrieval, I'd go down to 2 or 3.

A Raikou SHL might be a good option in here for those situations where a Raichu goes down just a hair short of KOing a pokemon, you can slap a choice band on it and hit for 60 and retain your current number of energy on the field and setting the game to an odd prize count instead of taking damage on a Raichu. Another tech pokemon option is Xurkitree which gives special energy focused decks a hard time and also gives you a more usable GX move. Unfortunately there really aren't any good answers to the Buzzwole problem in SM-on so you're just going to have to accept losses to that deck.

Kyle Pyykkonen

Yung Fish
Hey man, I think the list is ok right now, but I would recommend some changes.
My friend plays Raichu GX and he plays it with Garbodor, because you can lock abilities (which you aren't depending on), and unit energy allows you to use trashalanche and hit for big numbers against fighting pokemon and other psychic weak pokemon. This is a list that he built his off of and I recommend you build it similarly.
Also, I totally get the struggle of having no lele, because I don't have any either. I try and combat that by making lists that strive for maximum consistency and I play multiple bridgettes and nest balls to make sure I can get down basics on the first turn of the game.

Link to Raichu list:

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
A 2-1-2 Magnezone line with only 2 Rare Candy means you're going to struggle to get Magnezone on the field most games. A 3-1-3 line with 3 Rare Candy is what I'd play. That or a 3-0-3 line with 4 Rare Candy. I'd also recommend removing one Raichu-GX for one copy of the regular Raichu that paralyzes the opponent's active when you evolve it. Can definitely be helpful, especially if your opponent doesn't have a Guzma next turn. I know you said you don't have any Tapu Lele-GX's, but you do need some way to boost consistency. Sticking to the SuMo-on theme, I'd recommend one Oranguru for the extra draw power, especially late-game. I'd also recommend 2-3 Nest Balls because you need at least a somewhat reliable way to get Magnemite on your bench.

jocharbonneau

jo.charb
Hey everyone! Thank you all for your answers. After what I red, I kept a little bit of everyone and then it looks like this:

Pokémon(16)
4 Raichu-GX
4 Pikachu
3 Magnemite
1 Magneton
3 Magnezone
1 Tapu Koko

Trainer Cards(31)
4 Cynthia
2 Guzma
3 Acerola
3 Volkner
1 Olivia

3 Ultra Ball
2 Nest Ball
3 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
2 Field Blower
3 Energy Retrieval
3 Rare Candy
1 Rescue Stretcher

Energy(14)
14 Lightning energy

I'm still waiting to add 3 Lady from Forbidden Light. When it will be out, which card would I remove to make my Ladies some place?

Thanks again!

jocharbonneau

jo.charb
Hey everyone! Thank you all for your answers. After what I red, I kept a little bit of everyone and then it looks like this:

Pokémon(16)
4 Raichu-GX
4 Pikachu
3 Magnemite
1 Magneton
3 Magnezone
1 Tapu Koko

Trainer Cards(31)
4 Cynthia
2 Guzma
3 Acerola
3 Volkner
1 Olivia

3 Ultra Ball
2 Nest Ball
3 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
2 Field Blower
3 Energy Retrieval
3 Rare Candy
1 Rescue Stretcher

Energy(14)
14 Lightning energy

I'm still waiting to add 3 Lady from Forbidden Light. When it will be out, which card would I remove to make my Ladies some place?

Thanks again!
Was looking to add Hay or Lillie to add consistency but I don't know which card to remove...

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
It is really hard to say what will be your best options come rotation, because we dont know what new/returning cards we will get.

I can confidently give you a list of things you will NEED in this deck:
+2/3 tapu lele, for consistency
+1 ultra ball, for consistency
+3/4 choice band , to OHKO things
+1 rare candy, to hit turn 2 magnezone
+2/3 lady, not too sure on this but you need a way to get energy out with professors letter out of the picture.

As for tech:
+1 tapu koko GX, helps with big threats like gardevoir and other high energy decks.
+1 xurkitree, will auto-win you certain matchups (there are decks that play only special energy).
+1 oranguru, for some draw power.

As for things to remove:
-3 bodybuilding dumbbells, in favor of choice band if you want to be OHKOing things
-2/3 acerola, the card is too slow escpecially when you want to be keeping energy on board
+4/5 whatever draw supporter ends up being best. right now its looking like +2/3 judge might be good as an N replacement. maybe illima or wicke, who knows.

Hopefully this helps.

In case you decide to play with today's cards, here is the Raichu deck that got Top 64 at the Collinsville Regionals.

##Pokémon - 15

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 3 Pachirisu UPR 49
* 4 Pikachu GEN 129
* 1 Xurkitree-GX PR-SM SM68
* 4 Raichu-GX SLG 29
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 N FCO 105
* 2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Brigette BKT 161
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Switch ROS 91
* 1 Super Rod DRV 20
* 1 Pal Pad FLF 92
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Float Stone PLF 99

##Energy - 14

* 14 Lightning Energy EVO 94

Last edited:

noodle

Aspiring Trainer
10/10 would suggest using Snuggly Generator build with Pachirisu instead of Magnezone. It allows for a lot more space/consistency while providing more energy acceleration imo

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
I would try and fit the new Dedenne as a one of. I have fallen in love with it since it can deal some serious damage against Ultra Necrozma.