'Basic Energy Box' Releasing This Month!

I will agree that these recent theme decks were actually playable but almost all other theme decks are quite horrible and unless we see more good theme decks from here on out, theme decks might continue being bad, which is why this energy pack is so helpful for beginning players who need energy cards.

Oh, I agree on that, I work with kids, one of the kids that knows I collect and play asked me if I had any extra energy cards early today

So, assuming that some stores will sell below retail price, like maybe 17.99, think about it.
450 cards converted to bulk would be $13.50, assuming you can get 3 cents per card. Plus the TCGO code which probably can sell for around a dollar, you could potentially get a pretty cool box for like 3 bucks.
Bulk commons/uncommons are worth about a cent and a half at the moment. However, you'd be lucky to load off energies for half of that for each.

So, assuming that some stores will sell below retail price, like maybe 17.99, think about it.
450 cards converted to bulk would be $13.50, assuming you can get 3 cents per card. Plus the TCGO code which probably can sell for around a dollar, you could potentially get a pretty cool box for like 3 bucks.
I don't know anyone that accepts basic energy as bulk

And if there were they definitely won't after this box comes out

Then you should have no problem with TCPi making this all energy product.

The point I was trying to make in the first comment was that not everyone who disagrees with a business decision means they're upset because the product doesn't cater to them, just because its a strange direction to take.

The point I was trying to make in the first comment was that not everyone who disagrees with a business decision means they're upset because the product doesn't cater to them, just because its a strange direction to take.

The point I was trying to make is why do these people have a problem with this product, as if they have to buy every single product TPCi makes? Some products are for them, some are not.

Is it that strange to give someone easier access to basic energy? I remember a really dumb argument by someone that "I already have a lot of basic energy, so any product TPCi makes that includes basic energy is a dumb idea", as if people who don't have any basic energy must go through great lengths just to start off with an assortment of basic energy.

Compare the basic energy box, 450 energy, 50 of each kind, and the way I had to get basic energy during the time before elite trainer boxes were out. I either had to drive a long distance just to get to the only store in the city that sold any pokemon singles, I had to order online, and pay international shipping, because no online store in the country sold pokemon cards, or I had to get the assortment of energy from buying a lot of theme decks.

The argument of TPCi should not make the basic energy energy box because I already have energy is such a stupid argument.

Have you ever seen or heard someone praise a product, and thought TPCi made the best decision ever, and they never bought the product? I'm not saying the basic energy box is a good idea or a bad idea. The basic energy box is there because it has a purpose. Some people just don't see what that purpose is.

What they are really thinking is that this product is stupid because every single Pokemon TCG player or any prospective player out there is similar to them, and that they have the same amount of basic energy and ease of acquiring basic energy as them.

I get why they complain about the price, what I don't get is why they are complaining about the existence of this product. Does the existence of this product really affect them? It's not like they had to buy this product, and even if they didn't, it doesn't really matter if this product exists or not.

Last edited:
The argument of TPCi should not make the basic energy energy box because I already have energy is such a stupid argument.

That is a solid argument. Energy is everywhere and there's more than people know what to do with. I've had so much energy over the last 18 years that I've just given it to new players who needed it. It's free. I've still got a brick of it in my league box going all the way back to Expedition, and I still use Base Set and Expedition energies. They also send along boxes of it for pre-releases, and before they did that I used to give out energies from the same brick for events before they even provided us with any extra. It's free and and in abundance. If anybody needs any they have so many avenues to acquire it already.

Last edited:
That is a solid argument. Energy is everywhere and there's more than people know what to do with. I've had so much energy over the last 18 years that I've just given it to new players who needed it. It's free. I've still got a brick of it in my league box going all the way back to Expedition, and I still use Base Set and Expedition energies. They also send along boxes of it for pre-releases, and before they did that I used to give out energies from the same brick for events before they even provided us with any extra. It's free and and in abundance. If anybody needs any they have so many avenues to acquire it already.

You are assuming that everyone has the same ease of access at acquiring energy, which is false. I already told you that before Elite Trainer Boxes were a thing, I had to pay international shipping for energy, or drive a long distance to the only store that sold any pokemon singles, or acquire energies from theme decks. At that time, no store in the city held any Pokemon Prerelease tournaments. Just because you can go to Pokemon Prereleases, or get energies for free doesn't mean someone who lives somewhere else in the world can acquire them easily.

You just live in the part of the world where you can acquire energy easily, while some people can't even acquire any energy, so the argument of I have energy so TPCi shouldn't make a product that has any basic energy is a stupid argument, because you are only thinking about yourself, and how everyone in the world has the exact same situation as you in acquiring basic energy. If you already have basic energy, it is obvious you don't have to buy this product, which goes back to my point that some of you expect TPCi to make every single product tailored just for them.

I find it funny how it is way more easier to acquire basic land from MTG than basic energy, and yet, I can't find one person who thought the idea of the MTG Land Station was a stupid idea.

You just live in the part of the world where you can acquire energy easily.

This sounds like a personal problem, then. It's getting less about the energy and more about how we need to cater to those who can't acquire resources in the same manner as most have before.

This sounds like a personal problem, then. It's getting less about the energy and more about how we need to cater to those who can't acquire resources in the same manner as most have before.

So you are saying that people who live in places where Pokemon TCG isn't that popualr don't deserve to play this game. Basically, you are saying that TPCi should not give someone who doesn't have easy access to basic energy, easy access to basic energy just because you are swimming in basic energy, or that it is no problem that someone else has to pay more than what you pay to acquire basic energy, so long as they have the means of acquiring basic energy. That's pretty selfish to me.

To anyone complaining how a dumb idea this product is, is the existence of this product affecting you in any way? It's not like they are using taxpayer money to fund the design and development of this product, unlike most stadiums. This product probably already exists this whole time, they just decided they wanted to sell it to the general public instead of just people hosting tournaments and events.

I don't expect TPCi to release this frequently, I expect them to release this once every 3 years, much like MTG's Land Station.

So you are saying that people who live in places where Pokemon TCG isn't that popualr don't deserve to play this game. Basically, you are saying that TPCi should not give someone who doesn't have easy access to basic energy, easy access to basic energy just because you are swimming in basic energy, or that it is no problem that someone else has to pay more than what you pay to acquire basic energy, so long as they have the means of acquiring basic energy. That's pretty selfish to me.

What I'm saying is that energy cards are acquirable through many different means and in abundance. You have them, I have them, everyone playing TCG has them. All without having to buy a box of cards from TPCi . There are so many out there right now that you can get from so many different sources. It's not a stock or a bond, it's not a silver coin or something that will have more value over time -it's a basic energy card.

Last edited:
If there were reverse energies in this (say 3 or 4 of each) I would consider it but I have more non-reverse energies than I know what to do with. If anyone needs energies where I live, I will give it to them.

What I'm saying is that energy cards are acquirable through many different means and in abundance. You have them, I have them, everyone playing TCG has them. All without having to buy a box of cards from TPCi . There are so many out there right now that you can get from so many different sources. It's not a stock or a bond, it's not a silver coin or something that will have more value over time -it's a basic energy card.

After what? Buying $450 worth of Elite Trainer Boxes just to get the 50 of each energy, and considering 2 of those Elite Trainer Boxes, Plasma Storm and Plasma Blast, didn't have any Fairy Energy, I only have 30 Fairy Energy. Too bad all those other things in the elite trainer boxes aren't liquid assets.

Before Elite Trainer Boxes were a thing, I was advocating that TPCi should make some sort of product that included all 8, at the time, energy types. When Elite Trainer Boxes first came out, there were people said how stupid it was that they included a pack of 40 energy cards, 5 of each type, just because they they already had enough basic energy that they didn't know what to do with.

I already told you my situation a few years back where no local game store in the entire city held any prerelease events, only one store held league events and sold Pokemon singles, and that store is the furthest away, out of all of them. They also sold the energy for 25 cents, and even so, their selection of specific kinds of energy isn't that great. Even today, when more stores started to sell Pokemon singles, they don't have an "abundance". Out of every store in the city that sold basic energy singles, it is still more expensive than just buying the basic energy box.

The second option is buying online. I guess in your world shipping prices don't exist, or that domestic shipping = international shipping. I checked all the online options, and the basic energy box is still cheaper than any of the online option I come across.

You are right that I already have basic energy, but I've been in a situation where I wanted at least 20 of each kind of basic energy, and my options were limited in how I got them, either buy online and pay $2-5 shipping, or pay for gas and travel far just to get basic energy.

Unlike you, I am not going to say how stupid TPCi is for making this product just because I personally don't need it. If it were 5 years ago, and this product did come out, I would have bought it, because I have been in a situation where no store in the entire city held any Pokemon TCG prereleases, and only one store held league events, and no online store in the entire country sold basic energy cards for less than 25 cents.

What I don't get is why you think everyone in the world has the same access to Pokemon events as you, played as long and frequent as you have, or plays the game the same way as you.

Just because you have easy access to Pokemon TCG events, and therefore access to basic energy doesn't mean everybody else has the same access.

I know one type of person who would buy this. A person and a bunch of friends who are staring out, and doesn't have a store that holds Pokemon TCG events nearby and wants to hold a private event in their own home, or as an after school club. As I said, preventing yet another way for someone to acquire basic energy just because you have way too much basic energy is selfish. You are thinking about yourself, and how everyone in the world is in the same situation as you, which is false, and it is pretty obvious that this product is not meant for people who already have basic energy.

Last edited:
After what?
Let me elaborate on abundance: when are you ever going to really need that many energy? This is why it's given away by people. We just have too much of it. We're happy to give it away.

Unlike you, I am not going to say how stupid TPCi is for making this product just because I personally don't need it.
I never said that the company was stupid for making this product, I said that the argument others are making against it is a solid argument. I do think it's a waste of a product when there is already so much out there, but that's the extent of it. I'm wagering they have so much of the stuff themselves that they're trying to offload it or want to try the combo of these with Build and Battle kits as another avenue of getting people into the game. The combo of both might make limited format sanctioned events doable more now than they ever were before, and I know there's a market for those things outside of pre-release events.

Just because you have easy access to Pokemon TCG events, and therefore access to basic energy doesn't mean everybody else has the same access.
That's not fair to say. You have no idea how difficult it was for me to have access to games or events when I started out. You've gone on and on about your own problems without any elaboration on your location or difficulties -but this thread isn't about you and what you've got going on. At risk of sounding like the bad guy, which you're trying to make me look like no matter what I say, I'm not concerned with how difficult it was for you. The whole world won't stop because you or another player were inconvenienced by a lack of basic energy. You got them, didn't you? I said it before: there are many ways to get them and you got them. So will others without ETB or these boxes.

This discussion with you is kind of over the top now and I don't want to discuss it with you any further. You're really way too personally invested in this topic and it isn't appropriate to talk about when you've got all the emotion behind it. Just make sure to give away some basic energy when you meet a player who doesn't have any.

Let me elaborate on abundance: when are you ever going to really need that many energy? This is why it's given away by people. We just have too much of it. We're happy to give it away.

I never said that the company was stupid for making this product, I said that the argument others are making against it is a solid argument. I do think it's a waste of a product when there is already so much out there, but that's the extent of it. I'm wagering they have so much of the stuff themselves that they're trying to offload it or want to try the combo of these with Build and Battle kits as another avenue of getting people into the game. The combo of both might make limited format sanctioned events doable more now than they ever were before, and I know there's a market for those things outside of pre-release events.

That's not fair to say. You have no idea how difficult it was for me to have access to games or events when I started out. You've gone on and on about your own problems without any elaboration on your location or difficulties -but this thread isn't about you and what you've got going on. At risk of sounding like the bad guy, which you're trying to make me look like no matter what I say, I'm not concerned with how difficult it was for you. The whole world won't stop because you or another player were inconvenienced by a lack of basic energy. You got them, didn't you? I said it before: there are many ways to get them and you got them. So will others without ETB or these boxes.

This discussion with you is kind of over the top now and I don't want to discuss it with you any further. You're really way too personally invested in this topic and it isn't appropriate to talk about when you've got all the emotion behind it. Just make sure to give away some basic energy when you meet a player who doesn't have any.

You can only ever give away your basic energy to someone in close proximity to you, and even if you can give it away to people further away, it would only be within your own country, as I don't think you would want to deal with international shipping. The point I was making was, even if it was in abundance for you, the distribution of basic energy isn't the same everywhere in the world. Some places have them, some don't. TPCi is giving people another method of acquiring basic energy, and the argument of I already have basic energy, therefore this product shouldn't exist, is a silly argument. If this is going to be anything like MTG's Land Station, stores would probably stock at most 2 of these, and TPCi would release these once every 3 years. All this product is doing is giving some people who don't have any basic energy a cheaper and more convenient option of acquiring them.

If you say something like I have basic energy, or I can easily acquire basic energy, so the basic energy box is stupid, make my argument of you want every single product TPCi makes tailored for you, more correct. Just because you won't buy the product doesn't mean someone else won't.

Do you know why I am invested in this topic? Before Elite Trainer Boxes, I was suggesting that TPCi include some basic energies in products, either tins or box sets, because my end goal was having at least 20 of each basic energy type so I could build whatever random sealed deck I wanted to build, you know, the one where you open a bunch of packs and build a deck from what you got. A lot of the response was, "I already have so much basic energy, and if I bought this product, I will have even more, and I already have too much", as if they just had to buy this product even though there is no one forcing them to buy it. Out comes the Elite Trainer Boxes, and yet still, these people think that it was a stupid idea that the Elite Trainer Boxes contained any basic energy. Now fast forward to today, and TPCi finally makes a product that is only basic energy. I am not talking about you specifically, but to those who thinks this product is stupid just because they already have access to basic energy, meaning that they probably want TPCi to make something else, like I don't know, something tailored just for them? TCPi makes a product in which they don't want or need, and they are complaining about it.

Back