Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: March 2018 - Luck ~ Both Portions Up!

bronzong_lv_x_by_azuria649-dc6qjzv.png
Yes, it is deliberate that its PokéPower applies at a different time to normal, that was a design choice, not a mistake.
The weakness and resistance, while not being necessarily standard for [M] Bronzoing, do have precedent with Bronzong G.

I just realized, after looking at my card, that I forgot to italicize the '(before your attack)' bit in the Ability... >_<. Oh well.

Chatot

I actually did this before the theme was announced, and then changed it to add coinflips, even though I originally didn't want them in it, but now I think they are probably the right idea. I considered a third effect for more random as there was another lever I could work with, but decided against it on a low Hp basic.

Chatot – Normal – HP70
Basic Pokémon

Ability: Amplification
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, flip a coin, if heads, each of your Chatot’s attacks cost [C] less.

[C] [C] Infrasonic Waves
Roll 2 six-sided dice. Then, put damage counters on each of your opponents Pokémon equal to the difference between those results.

Weakness: Electric (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: [C]
Chatot are known for joining each other in a chorus, amplifying the sound over any one individual.
NO. 441 Musical Note Pokémon HT: 1’08’’ WT: 4.2 lbs.

All Chatot, Tapu Lele GX, Florges BKT 103, Dimension Valley, Lucario Promo SM95, Buneary UPR 106

I quite like this effect, and as soon as I found out the theme was luck based, I knew I was doing something based off of dice rolling. There were two effects I was looking at, this one, difference between two dice, or rolling a single die, and dealing that much damage. In the end, I settled on two dice, because it is more random that way (it actually is less random, don’t tell me I am wrong, this is how distribution works folks, but people's minds are tricked into thinking, more dice, more random). Otherwise, the ability was added when the attack costed 3 energy, and didn't need a coin flip. In order to balance the coin flip, I reduced the attack cost to [C] [C], not convinced it is the right thing to do, maybe it should be 2 coins, if either are heads then reduce, but in the end I decided to opt out of that.

Lycanroc_GX.png
AHAHAHA I love this doggo. This card doesn't really have that much of a story behind it as the others, it was my first idea and i'm glad I went with it. I really tried to go as "all-out" as possible with the holosheets, and I think it ended up stunning. I'm unsure of the text placements/sizes though, i'm sure they could be smaller, I just don't want to make a mistake while downsizing. The art comes from the Ultra Prism theme deck for Lycandusk, blank was made by the (amazing) aschefield101, and the holosheet was extracted from Pokemon Trading Card Game Online.
Refferences:
- Golisopod GRI (Rock Rush's effect)
- Dusknoir BUS (Headscout)

Here's my entry!

TyranitarGXCACPokebeach.jpg
It is done, Finally! Took me a while to get the Tyranitar how I wanted it but I think it worked out in the end. I could find the font with the white borders used for the GX cards before the deadline so the font I used will have suffice. I don't have any particular reason for choosing Tyranitar, I just wanted to draw a Johto pokemon and Tyranitar was the first guy to come to mind.
I used Adobe sketch and Photoshop to make the card.

With the theme being luck I thought it would be cool if I made a card about your opponent being unlucky (thus you being lucky for your opponent's misfortune) so that' where Earthquake and Crushing Blow come into play. The idea is that you use Earthquake to make your opponent luckily put down a good card then follow it up with Crushing Blow. Split the Earth GX's idea was that if your opponent used a card that lets you pick a card and put it on top of his deck (Like Steam Siege Aipom's ability) you could use it to screw up his card placement. This card wasn't made to be good, only to be interesting.

Anyway hopefully I didn't do anything wrong when making this card & post. I'll definitely stick around for next month's contest if I can.
Not related to the card but something I thought was funny. Pupitar evolving to Tyranitar is weird. When Puitar evolves his face becomes his chest complete with arms growing out if it and Tyranitars head looks like its just barely poking out of Pupitar's body. To make it even worse Tyranitar is stuck with it's previous evolutions body on his stomach. It's just weird.

Attachments

• Evolution.png
    Evolution.png
    124 KB · Views: 9
Here's my entry!

It is done, Finally! Took me a while to get the Tyranitar how I wanted it but I think it worked out in the end. I could find the font with the white borders used for the GX cards before the deadline so the font I used will have suffice. I don't have any particular reason for choosing Tyranitar, I just wanted to draw a Johto pokemon and Tyranitar was the first guy to come to mind.
I used Adobe sketch and Photoshop to make the card.

With the theme being luck I thought it would be cool if I made a card about your opponent being unlucky (thus you being lucky for your opponent's misfortune) so that' where Earthquake and Crushing Blow come into play. The idea is that you use Earthquake to make your opponent luckily put down a good card then follow it up with Crushing Blow. Split the Earth GX's idea was that if your opponent used a card that lets you pick a card and put it on top of his deck (Like Steam Siege Aipom's ability) you could use it to screw up his card placement. This card wasn't made to be good, only to be interesting.

Anyway hopefully I didn't do anything wrong when making this card & post. I'll definitely stick around for next month's contest if I can.
Not related to the card but something I thought was funny. Pupitar evolving to Tyranitar is weird. When Puitar evolves his face becomes his chest complete with arms growing out if it and Tyranitars head looks like its just barely poking out of Pupitar's body. To make it even worse Tyranitar is stuck with it's previous evolutions body on his stomach. It's just weird.

Whoops forgot to take out that image, sorry! It was a dumb little doodle I made in MSpaint to show off what I mean with Pupitars Evolution. Hopefully that doesn't change anything.

Yay for super rushed entries! :D
Basic Klefki HP70[M]

Ability Jangling Keys
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may discard 1 of your evolved Pokèmon in play. If you do, flip a coin until you get tails. For each heads, discard an Energy from 1 of your opponent's Pokèmon.

[C][C] Locking Mechanism
For each [M] Energy in your opponent's discard pile, put a random card from your opponent's hand in the Lost Zone.

Weakness: [R]x2 Resistance: [P]-20 Retreat: [C]
Pokèdex: It never lets go of a key that it likes, so people give it the keys to vaults and safes as a way to prevent crime.
Height: 0' 08 Weight: 6.6 lbs #707 Key Ring Pokèmon

Would give references and inspiration but I don't feel like spending time on doing that ATM.

I could find the font with the white borders used for the GX cards before the deadline so the font I used will have suffice.

Tip for next time, correct fonts are all mentioned here: Font guide post

And to get one with a white border, you need to add stroke fx to it in photoshop.
Layer panel (with correct layer selected) > fx button (at bottom of panel) > stroke > solid > white > whatever thickness works with your card size.

Tip for next time, correct fonts are all mentioned here: Font guide post

And to get one with a white border, you need to add stroke fx to it in photoshop.
Layer panel (with correct layer selected) > fx button (at bottom of panel) > stroke > solid > white > whatever thickness works with your card size.
Oh alright, thanks! I'll make sure to do that next time around.

That's the deadline! I'll put up fanvoting sometime on the weekend. In the meantime, make sure that I have listed your entry as 'seen' in the OP post and haven't missed you!

Back