Discussion The Snow Glows White On The Mountain Tonight! (AFEX Article 3: Glaceon GX)

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
I love doing these musical references for titles... I guess I'll start doing that as a regular!
Now you might be wondering what last weeks was, well, it's not terribly Family Friendly, so, not sure if I should say. I'll give you a hint: (G***i G**g)

Anywho... hey guys, AFEX here!

Despite the requests of a rouge deck discussion for this and next format, I thought I would talk about a not so popular deck that will be popular here in the next month, and next rotation... Glaceon GX!

NOW, before we get started I thought I would put a schedule of my articles below, what they will be about Etc.

Today: Glaceon GX
March 3rd: Zoroark GX Viability in 2018-19 Rotation
March 10th: Leafeon GX and Grand Bloom, How Powerful?
March 17th: Fighting decks in the 2018-19 Rotation, how dominant will they be?
March 24th: Fire decks in 2018-19 Rotation, how detrimental is losing Volcanion EX?
April 7th: Metal: too inconsistent? Too over-hyped? How good is Metal really?
April 14th: Rouge Deck Talk! Shock Lock? Entei GX Lurantis? Anything!
April 21st: MY BIRTHDAY! Talking about my Favorite, Greninja GX! Q&A with me as well!
April 28th: Preparing for Forbidden Light, Talking about new decks!
May 5th: Forbidden Light Released! A Meta Talk!

pkm_smup_141.jpg

Had to plug the full art version! So beautiful!

Now beside the fact the full art is gorgeous, this is also a very playable card, and will definitely see play at the end of this rotation and into next rotation. Below I'll talk about the Pros and Cons of this card in depth, as always!

Pros:
- Yet again we see another re-incarnation of Darkrai EX's Night Spear attack! Same energy cost, just with water as the one of cost.

- Freezing Gaze is amazing! Being able to shut down things like Tapu Lele's wonder tag on turn 1 is boss! You can seriously stall your opponent out!

- Polar Spear GX isn't a bad attack, it can come in pretty clutch! Especially since you're spamming Frost Bullet anyway!

Cons:
- Retreat is bad, would have been so much better if it was free, or even for one colorless. Then retreat, discard one Water, Aqua Patch it back, and you're fine again.

- Weakness to Metal, with Metal coming in the format to take the throne from Gardevoir very soon, this card might be knocked down a peg.

Now I will talk about all of these in depth as they stand (in numerical order of course ;)!)

Pros 1&2: Night Spear was good on Darkrai, meh on Umbreon, and is gonna be great on Glaceon! This attack is great especially because of the ability Glaceon has, which kinda compliments the attack to some degree. Now you might be thinking, "Umbreon saw no play... what makes you think this card is any better?" The fact is, I'll restate, the ability, it's really good. The ability Freezing Gaze states: "As long is this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, your opponent's Pokemon-GX and Pokemon-EX in play, in their hand, and in their discard pile have no abilities, except for Freezing Gaze." The awesomeness speaks for itself, I will list some abilities you can shut off with Glaceon GX's ability-

Jirachi EX's Stellar Guidance
Shaymin EX's Set Up
Tapu Lele GX's Wonder Tag
Volcanion EX's Steam Up
Marshadow GX's Shadow Hunt
Silvally GX's Gyro Unit
Necrozma GX's Light's End
Dawn Wings Necrozma GX's Invasion
Leafeon GX's Breath Of The Leaves

The list goes on and on and on. Every GX and EX that has an ability, and complies with the standards of Freezing Gaze, goes bye bye.

Cons: 1&2

I won't make a huge deal over the retreat cost, because it isn't that bad, but still pretty bad, considering you would have to get rid of the DCE and 1 Water in order to retreat Glaceon.

The weakness isn't bad considering we found out that Metal is very inconsistent and keep keep up with most decks, even Gardevoir :confused:.

Part II: Variants of Glaceon GX

I'll talk a little bit about the variants of this deck, before we rap up discussion.

Here's the ones i'll be discussing-
- Quad Glaceon GX Disruption
- Glaceon GX/Alolan Ninetales GX
- Glaceon GX/ Zoroark GX
- Glaceon GX/ Decidueye GX

Glaceon GX Disruption:

Pokemon: 9
4 Eevee
4 Glaceon GX
1 Espeon EX

Trainers:

1 Pal Pad
2 Field Blower
3 Aqua Patch
4 Nest Ball
4 Red Card
4 Crushing Hammer
2 Choice Band
2 Acerola
2 Cynthia
2 Professor Sycamore
3 Guzma
4 Team Flare Grunt
4 N

Energy: 14
4 Double Colorless
10 Water

This variant accels in disrupting set up for your opponent. If your opponent does set up however, you do have the means to shut them down however, TFG for energy discarding and Crushing hammer to energy snipe, plus, well, HAMMER TIME! There are many tech options for this variant which is why I love this variant purely for budgetness and other check-marks.

Glaceon GX Alolan Ninetales GX:

##Pokémon - 18

* 4 Eevee SUM 101
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 117
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 3 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 132
* 4 Glaceon-GX UPR 141

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Rescue Stretcher BUS 165
* 2 Acerola BUS 142
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 2 Multi Switch BUS 164
* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 161
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 2 Cynthia UPR 148
* 3 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 3 Choice Band BUS 162
* 1 Field Blower GRI 163
* 2 N NVI 101

##Energy - 12

* 4 Double Colorless Energy GRI 166
* 8 Water Energy CIN 124

Total Cards - 60

This is another good variant, I personally don't "love" it, it's not my favorite variant, just because It can be situational whether you start with Eevee or not, it's not a huge issue regardless. The strategy is pretty trolly, you set up Glaceon GX, deny your opponent from setting up, then switch into A. Ninetales GX and hurt their bench, then when its your turn and you know they got something in their hand that will help them set up (Like Lele), or you know they have the resources to do so, switch back into Glaceon GX, to deny a Wonder Tag or a Trade.

Glaceon GX Zoroark GX:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Eevee SUM 101
* 3 Zorua SLG 52
* 3 Zoroark-GX PR-SM SM84
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 3 Glaceon-GX UPR 141

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Acerola BUS 142
* 4 Red Card GEN 71
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Cynthia UPR 148
* 2 Guzma BUS 143
* 2 Brigette BKT 161
* 2 Choice Band BUS 162
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163
* 4 N NVI 101
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 162

##Energy - 12

* 8 Water Energy CIN 124

Total Cards - 60

This will be the most popular Glaceon variant most likely, but I think the next variant I'll list will be just as good if not better. This variant accels in helping Glaceon GX draw cards, and stop the deck from dead drawing into Water Energy. This deck could also be helped by maybe 1 or 2 Mallow, just to make sure you can draw into what you need with Zoroark GX's Trade ability.

Glaceon GX Decidueye GX:

Pokemon:
3 Glaceon GX
4 Eevee (Energy Evolution of course)
4 Decidueye GX
2 Dartrix
4 Rowlet
1 Espeon EX
2 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers:
1 Evosoda
1 Field Blower
4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
2 Brigette
4 Cynthia
3 Guzma
3 N
2 Professor Sycamore
3 Choice Band

Energy:
4 DCE
2 GRW Unit Energy
7 Water Energy

This is my favorite, most consistent Variant of this deck, I love it so much! Sniping with Decidueye just compliments Glaceon so much! Espeon EX hits for KO's with Miraculous Shine, devolving each of the opponents evolved Pokemon. This Variant from what I've tested is the most consistent.

Good Matchups: (Expanded or Standard) (All Variants Alike)

-Espeon Garb
- Marshadow GX
- Mega Rayquaza EX
- Volcanion EX
- Drampa Garb
- Mega Mewtwo EX (an odd one)
- All Zoroark Variants
- Buzzwole Lycanroc

The Garb matchups were easier playing with Glaceon GX/Decidueye GX. but regardless these are good matchups from what I'VE tested.

Conclusion:

Pick up your playset of Glaceon's, this card is gonna be good! This will more likely than not be a meta deck, once garb is gone, regardless. This card is versatile with any partner, regardless of the limitations of Freezing Gaze (The Ability). I suggest you start thinking of counters, because this deck will be everywhere, who knows, maybe even the Ninja Frog has found a new ally ;).

Thank you so much for reading, start asking your guys's questions now, because that Birthday Q&A is coming April 21st (or 22nd, who knows), so hang tight till next week to read about Zoroark GX!

This is AFEX signing off,

~AFEX

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Glaceon/Zoroark deck best. You can decrease the Glaceon evolution line down to 3-2.
Otherwise, great decks. Gucci gang!

I love doing these musical references for titles... I guess I'll start doing that as a regular!
Now you might be wondering what last weeks was, well, it's not terribly Family Friendly, so, not sure if I should say. I'll give you a hint: (G***i G**g)

Anywho... hey guys, AFEX here!

Despite the requests of a rouge deck discussion for this and next format, I thought I would talk about a not so popular deck that will be popular here in the next month, and next rotation... Glaceon GX!

NOW, before we get started I thought I would put a schedule of my articles below, what they will be about Etc.

Today: Glaceon GX
March 3rd: Zoroark GX Viability in 2018-19 Rotation
March 10th: Leafeon GX and Grand Bloom, How Powerful?
March 17th: Fighting decks in the 2018-19 Rotation, how dominant will they be?
March 24th: Fire decks in 2018-19 Rotation, how detrimental is losing Volcanion EX?
April 7th: Metal: too inconsistent? Too over-hyped? How good is Metal really?
April 14th: Rouge Deck Talk! Shock Lock? Entei GX Lurantis? Anything!
April 21st: MY BIRTHDAY! Talking about my Favorite, Greninja GX! Q&A with me as well!
April 28th: Preparing for Forbidden Light, Talking about new decks!
May 5th: Forbidden Light Released! A Meta Talk!

pkm_smup_141.jpg

Had to plug the full art version! So beautiful!

Now beside the fact the full art is gorgeous, this is also a very playable card, and will definitely see play at the end of this rotation and into next rotation. Below I'll talk about the Pros and Cons of this card in depth, as always!

Pros:
- Yet again we see another re-incarnation of Darkrai EX's Night Spear attack! Same energy cost, just with water as the one of cost.

- Freezing Gaze is amazing! Being able to shut down things like Tapu Lele's wonder tag on turn 1 is boss! You can seriously stall your opponent out!

- Polar Spear GX isn't a bad attack, it can come in pretty clutch! Especially since you're spamming Frost Bullet anyway!

Cons:
- Retreat is bad, would have been so much better if it was free, or even for one colorless. Then retreat, discard one Water, Aqua Patch it back, and you're fine again.

- Weakness to Metal, with Metal coming in the format to take the throne from Gardevoir very soon, this card might be knocked down a peg.

Now I will talk about all of these in depth as they stand (in numerical order of course ;)!)

Pros 1&2: Night Spear was good on Darkrai, meh on Umbreon, and is gonna be great on Glaceon! This attack is great especially because of the ability Glaceon has, which kinda compliments the attack to some degree. Now you might be thinking, "Umbreon saw no play... what makes you think this card is any better?" The fact is, I'll restate, the ability, it's really good. The ability Freezing Gaze states: "As long is this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, your opponent's Pokemon-GX and Pokemon-EX in play, in their hand, and in their discard pile have no abilities, except for Freezing Gaze." The awesomeness speaks for itself, I will list some abilities you can shut off with Glaceon GX's ability-

Jirachi EX's Stellar Guidance
Shaymin EX's Set Up
Tapu Lele GX's Wonder Tag
Volcanion EX's Steam Up
Marshadow GX's Shadow Hunt
Silvally GX's Gyro Unit
Necrozma GX's Light's End
Dawn Wings Necrozma GX's Invasion
Leafeon GX's Breath Of The Leaves

The list goes on and on and on. Every GX and EX that has an ability, and complies with the standards of Freezing Gaze, goes bye bye.

Cons: 1&2

I won't make a huge deal over the retreat cost, because it isn't that bad, but still pretty bad, considering you would have to get rid of the DCE and 1 Water in order to retreat Glaceon.

The weakness isn't bad considering we found out that Metal is very inconsistent and keep keep up with most decks, even Gardevoir :confused:.

Part II: Variants of Glaceon GX

I'll talk a little bit about the variants of this deck, before we rap up discussion.

Here's the ones i'll be discussing-
- Quad Glaceon GX Disruption
- Glaceon GX/Alolan Ninetales GX
- Glaceon GX/ Zoroark GX
- Glaceon GX/ Decidueye GX

Glaceon GX Disruption:

Pokemon: 9
4 Eevee
4 Glaceon GX
1 Espeon EX

Trainers:

1 Pal Pad
2 Field Blower
3 Aqua Patch
4 Nest Ball
4 Red Card
4 Crushing Hammer
2 Choice Band
2 Acerola
2 Cynthia
2 Professor Sycamore
3 Guzma
4 Team Flare Grunt
4 N

Energy: 14
4 Double Colorless
10 Water

This variant accels in disrupting set up for your opponent. If your opponent does set up however, you do have the means to shut them down however, TFG for energy discarding and Crushing hammer to energy snipe, plus, well, HAMMER TIME! There are many tech options for this variant which is why I love this variant purely for budgetness and other check-marks.

Glaceon GX Alolan Ninetales GX:

##Pokémon - 18

* 4 Eevee SUM 101
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 117
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 3 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 132
* 4 Glaceon-GX UPR 141

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 2 Acerola BUS 142
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 2 Multi Switch BUS 164
* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 161
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 2 Cynthia UPR 148
* 3 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 3 Choice Band BUS 162
* 1 Field Blower GRI 163
* 2 N NVI 101

##Energy - 12

* 8 Water Energy CIN 124

Total Cards - 60

This is another good variant, I personally don't "love" it, it's not my favorite variant, just because It can be situational whether you start with Eevee or not, it's not a huge issue regardless. The strategy is pretty trolly, you set up Glaceon GX, deny your opponent from setting up, then switch into A. Ninetales GX and hurt their bench, then when its your turn and you know they got something in their hand that will help them set up (Like Lele), or you know they have the resources to do so, switch back into Glaceon GX, to deny a Wonder Tag or a Trade.

Glaceon GX Zoroark GX:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Eevee SUM 101
* 3 Zorua SLG 52
* 3 Zoroark-GX PR-SM SM84
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 3 Glaceon-GX UPR 141

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Acerola BUS 142
* 4 Red Card GEN 71
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Cynthia UPR 148
* 2 Guzma BUS 143
* 2 Brigette BKT 161
* 2 Choice Band BUS 162
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163
* 4 N NVI 101
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 162

##Energy - 12

* 8 Water Energy CIN 124

Total Cards - 60

This will be the most popular Glaceon variant most likely, but I think the next variant I'll list will be just as good if not better. This variant accels in helping Glaceon GX draw cards, and stop the deck from dead drawing into Water Energy. This deck could also be helped by maybe 1 or 2 Mallow, just to make sure you can draw into what you need with Zoroark GX's Trade ability.

Glaceon GX Decidueye GX:

Pokemon:
3 Glaceon GX
4 Eevee (Energy Evolution of course)
4 Decidueye GX
2 Dartrix
4 Rowlet
1 Espeon EX
2 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers:
1 Evosoda
1 Field Blower
4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
2 Brigette
4 Cynthia
3 Guzma
3 N
2 Professor Sycamore
3 Choice Band

Energy:
4 DCE
2 GRW Unit Energy
7 Water Energy

This is my favorite, most consistent Variant of this deck, I love it so much! Sniping with Decidueye just compliments Glaceon so much! Espeon EX hits for KO's with Miraculous Shine, devolving each of the opponents evolved Pokemon. This Variant from what I've tested is the most consistent.

Good Matchups: (Expanded or Standard) (All Variants Alike)

-Espeon Garb
- Marshadow GX
- Mega Rayquaza EX
- Volcanion EX
- Drampa Garb
- Mega Mewtwo EX (an odd one)
- All Zoroark Variants
- Buzzwole Lycanroc

The Garb matchups were easier playing with Glaceon GX/Decidueye GX. but regardless these are good matchups from what I'VE tested.

Conclusion:

Pick up your playset of Glaceon's, this card is gonna be good! This will more likely than not be a meta deck, once garb is gone, regardless. This card is versatile with any partner, regardless of the limitations of Freezing Gaze (The Ability). I suggest you start thinking of counters, because this deck will be everywhere, who knows, maybe even the Ninja Frog has found a new ally ;).

Thank you so much for reading, start asking your guys's questions now, because that Birthday Q&A is coming April 21st (or 22nd, who knows), so hang tight till next week to read about Zoroark GX!

This is AFEX signing off,

~AFEX
How on earth is Glaceon Decidueye the most consistent variant? It's a Stage 1/Stage 2 deck without any draw support outside of Leles and Supporters. Glaceon Zoroark is obviously the most consistent because of the draw support from Zoroark and the fact that you aren't running Stage 2s. TBH, Glaceon Decidueye is easily the least consistent variant.

I dunno but at St. Luis (Or Collinsville) Regoinals last week I played a Zoroark GX Glaceon GX (Playing Zoroark Lycanroc, Glaceon is supposed to be a bad mach up for me) and game 1 my opponent got every thing they needed to setup (Going Second) Except for the water energy to evolve :), they I just swept the field with Buzzwole (As a 1 of). Game 2 they started Lele and got Donked By Zoroark Because they couldn't get anything.

Personaly I think that you need to much for Glaceon to be good and even the arguably most consistent variant got wrecked by Mwa because my opponent couldn't get what they needed to get the Glaceon witch gives them the choice of Bridgetteing (New word) or playing a draw Supporter to dig for the water energy.

Again I just don't think Glaceon is very good at all.

Oh good article though

Last edited by a moderator:
How on earth is Glaceon Decidueye the most consistent variant? It's a Stage 1/Stage 2 deck without any draw support outside of Leles and Supporters. Glaceon Zoroark is obviously the most consistent because of the draw support from Zoroark and the fact that you aren't running Stage 2s. TBH, Glaceon Decidueye is easily the least consistent variant.

I stated in the article, from my testing, you might end up with different results.

I dunno but at St. Luis (Or Collinsville) Regoinals last week I played a Zoroark GX Glaceon GX (Playing Zoroark Lycanroc, Glaceon is supposed to be a bad mach up for me) and game 1 my opponent got every thing they needed to setup (Going Second) Except for the water energy to evolve :), they I just swept the field with Buzzwole (As a 1 of). Game 2 they started Lele and got Donked By Zoroark Because they couldn't get anything.

Personaly I think that you need to much for Glaceon to be good and even the arguably most consistent variant got wrecked by Mwa because my opponent couldn't get what they needed to get the Glaceon witch gives them the choice of Bridgetteing (New word) or playing a draw Supporter to dig for the water energy.

Again I just don't think Glaceon is very good at all.

You just have to run the right amount of Water energy, I tested the Zoroark Glaceon GX list, I had Zorua in my hand 45% of the time, but always had Eevee and a Water Energy, also, you can just do a Quad Glaceon deck, and get Eevee/Water start every time.

Ok, you have a different list from the guy I played but you still have to have to start Eevee water energy of have a way to get Eevee in the active and water energy witch can be hard to come by but then again you could play a bunch of water energy to try to get Glaceon turn 1 but still I though Glaceon was going to be better.

I stated in the article, from my testing, you might end up with different results.
How did you test these? I thought you didn't own Leles? And how much did you test it, against what decks?

Proxy Tested against my friend, who was played, Zoro-roc, Buzzwole-roc, Zoro-tales, Zoroark GX Decidueye GX.
Zoro-Tales is kind of a non-deck, same for Zoroark Decidueye. Zoroark Decidueye is also an extremely favorable matchup thanks to Freezing Gaze. ZoroRoc should also be a super-favorable matchup, and I'm curious as to how you fared against Buzzroc.

Zoro-Tales is kind of a non-deck, same for Zoroark Decidueye. Zoroark Decidueye is also an extremely favorable matchup thanks to Freezing Gaze. ZoroRoc should also be a super-favorable matchup, and I'm curious as to how you fared against Buzzroc.

It was a tie against Buzzroc, till I won the Tie-Breaker actually, went like this.

Game 1:
started Rowlet, Float into Eevee, Water Energy into Glaceon. My friend was kind of in a dead hand and couldn't do much, he had Lele sitting in hand, a Rockruff, and struggled top-decking. his Buzzwole was in the active slot, Rockruff on bench, I guess he was hoping for the L-roc to switch in Rowlet to go for the kill. That didn't work out, I topdecked a Rare Candy (Forgot to mention I had Decidueye in hand) then I Rare Candied into Decidueye, retreated, attached DCE to my Glaceon, Feather Arrowed, Frost Bullet, 30 damage to Rockruff. He hadn't managed to top deck a Supporter or Brooklet Hill to get out of that 2 Pokemon situation. he bricked his turn, passed to me, I just Frost Bullet'd took out the Rockruff. My friends turn, he bricked the top deck, so he conceded. I won game 1.

Game 2:
I got an Eevee start, but no Water Energy, he started Buzzwole, I was indefinitely in a bad spot, passed the turn, because I had no way to get a Lele or had a Supporter in hand, He gets Strong Energy on Buzzwole, takes out Eevee, He wins Game 2.

Game 3:
Suprisingly, it was pretty much the same as Game 1, which shocked me.

Those were my results against Buzzroc.

I run a Glaceon/Zoroark deck quite a bit online. The deck is usually really consistent, other than the odd matchup with metal, which is just a terror altogether (Although, it should be noted that playing glaceon against metagross is simply hilarious). Glaceon will probably take off, unless pokemon release more metal types that just jump all over the format.

Just a friendly reminder that these forums are a place to discuss Pokemon TCG Strategies.

I deleted the posts that did not discuss this.

Banter about hating people belongs on social media ;)

I am a fan of Glaceon with Decidueye too. Although, I play it more like a Leafeon / Decidueye deck, with Glaceon tossed in for when you need to mix it up some.

Back