Help Best ways to prevent gameplay errors? Gameplay help?

Marowhacker

@MarowhackerTCG on twitter
Hey Pokebeach!
I'm a UK player in the seniors division, and I'm still fairly new-ish to the game (I started playing competitively in around March last year). Recently, I attended the EUIC, and got a respectable record of 3-5-0 - that was only my 2nd big event (1st was Birmingham regionals) and I was pretty happy with that since I did get some bad matchups. However, the huge issue I had there was issues with slipping in gameplay. I recieved a game loss in round 6 due to a huge slip - I ultra balled for brigette, forgetting my Lele, then played an N in the same turn.... Additionally, I made an error drawing too many cards in my final round, however my opponent made a similar error in the same game and since we were both tired we agreed to just let it go - but if this was in an earlier round I would have been in trouble. I was especially bummed out about the 6th round one, since although I had lost game 1 I thought I played it really well all things considered.

Anyway, since I want to keep playing and up my game in the future, I was wondering if there were any good ways to prevent myself from doing more things like this. After some positive league cup and testing results recently, I think my game and decks are at a good standard (not wanting to sound like an egocentric freak) but I just need ways of preventing low-level misplays and big errors like this. Thanks y'all!

A good way to avoid errors is to talk through step by step on everything you're doing. Jumping straight to Brigette without grabbing Lele first is a common error I've seen people make because they jump straight to the end step. Play your ultra ball, search for Lele, bring Lele to your hand, bench Lele, search for Brigette, bring Brigette to your hand, play Brigette, search for basics, and finally bench them. If there's an error somewhere along the way it's more minor and easier to correct.
As for playing 2 supporters in a turn, I've seen players keep the supporter they've played for that turn to the left of their deck and discard to indicate that it's been played this turn as not to forget. They then move it to the discard at the end of the turn.
I started as an online player so I find myself forgetting stuff like setting out prizes and keeping track of if you've played a supporter that the online game does for you. Going slower and thinking through each step lets me better keep track of these things.

Take as much time as you need to think through your actions and steps. It's easy to skip steps and make mistakes when you're amped up, or conversely so tired you can't think straight, so taking some time to think through your actions can really help. If your opponent is struggling with keeping straight, be a good sport and help them through so that if you do win it was fair and square and not due to a stupid mistake on your opponent's part.

I'm seeing solid advice already, so I'll just condense it all and reiterate: practice, practice, practice, practice playing things out fully while clearly announcing what it is you are doing, then practice what shortcuts may be legal. A checklist may help as well. ;_

It's normal.
Personally I stopped forgetting if I played the supporter really soon, but since I play Zoroark/Decidueye there are some turns where I draw a dozen card during the turn and forget what I evolved and what abilities I already used, so this is what I do:
As for evolution, when I evolve i put the card on top of the Pokémon so that i can see the name of what's under, and push them in line at the end of the turn, so I know if I evolved already.
As for abilities, unless I use them in a row, I tend to tilt the Pokémon slightly to remember I used it.
But most of the time I don't even bother, it's a matter of practice.

Back