• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Zoroark GX/Salazzle GX Deck List

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Pokemon x20

Zoroark GX x3
Zoroark (BKT) x2
Zorua x4
Salazzle GX x2
Salandit x2
Tapu Koko Promo x3
Tapu Lele GX x3
Kartana GX x1

Supporter x15

Sycamore x3
N x4
Guzma x3
Mallow x2
Acerola x2
Brigette x1

Items x 15

Ultra Ball x4
Choice Band x4
Float Stone x2
Field Blower x2
Rescue Stretcher x2
Special Charge x1

Energy x10

DCE x4
Rainbow Energy x2
Fire Energy x4

Granted how incredibly hyped I am for Zoroark GX, I'm pretty much only going to be trying to build Zoroark GX deck lists for the next few weeks. I am unbelievably hyped for this Pokemon and the consistency it offers with its ability and attack.

Right now I am of the opinion that Zoroark GX absolutely needs an attacking partner of some sort that will uncap its damage potential as well as prevent it from having a straight auto loss to fighting type decks which might become a thing with Buzzwole.

The general strategy of this deck is to begin very DCE heavy. Open Tapu Koko and DCE and begin flying flipping. Evolve up into a Zoroark GX and give it a DCE so it can riot beat anytime and you can begin drawing. Mallow for the cards you need to continue playing. This deck doesn't need a lot of cards to keep going after you set up Zoroark GX with a DCE, so you can just search out, say, another Zoroark GX and another DCE. Drop in a Kartana GX whenever you want to remove your opponent's special energy and stick a rainbow on it if you want to GX attack for a prize. Slowly build up either a Zoroark GX on the bench with Rainbow Energy to access your GX attack, or build up a Salazzle GX once you've taken 3/4 prizes to hit for huge damage while you have a DCE Zoroark GX up front swinging away for 120/150 choice banded per turn.

To fully take advantage of Zoroark GX's ability, I'm opting for 2 rescue stretcher so I can discard things like Kartana or Salazzle GX and just recover them when the time is right. Special charge is here because you will be losing a handful of DCE to getting KO'd, like your Tapu Koko.

Acerola helps you preserve your energy and your Pokemon by scooping up anything that's ever had a rainbow energy attached to it. I would consider Acerola, Rainbow Energy, and Kartana GX to basically be no brainers in combination.

I went for Fire Energy as my basic instead of Darkness Energy because Salazzle GX's Diabolical Claws is still going to be the best way to close a game when you've already taken 4 prizes. Kartana GX helps to accelerate Diabolical Claws by a lot as well. KO 1 basic, KO 1 GX, Kartana GX, and Diabolical Claws will hit 230 choice banded to close the game on anything meta relevant right now. In some games, this could literally be KO a basic like Koko/Vulpix/Diancie/Any Pre-evolution, KO a Lele, Kartana GX, then Diabolical Claws any of the GX attackers your opponent has on the field. I also consider Salazzle GX to be the best partner attacker right now due to its auto win match up against Golisopod GX and Metagross GX. Its GX attack also destroys Kiawe decks and Gardevoir GX.

I think this deck has potential to be very destructive. I already think that Kartana GX and Rainbow Energy are musts when playing Salazzle GX. Taking 1 prize actually leads to improving your damage by a massive 50, which could be game changing.

Thoughts/Opinions always welcome.

Last edited:

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi Duo,

Nice deck. Have you considered to use a split on both evolution lines. Zoroark non-GX is a decent attacker and Salazzle non-GX could boost the damage output on Zoroak GX.

Pokémon (18):
  • 2 Tapu Lele GX (beatdown)
  • 2 Zoroark XY (beatdown)
  • 2 Zoroark GX (beatdown)
  • 4 Zorua SM3 (evolution)
  • 2 Salazzle GX (cleaner)
  • 2 Salazzle (enables)
  • 4 Salandit (evolve)
Trainer (30):
  • 4 Professor Sycamore (draw)
  • 2 Professor Kukui (draw)
  • 1 Bridgette (search)
  • 3 Guzma (control)
  • 4 N (draw)
  • 2 Rescue Stretcher (retrieval)
  • 3 Choice Band (beatdown)
  • 2 Field Blower (discard)
  • 3 Float Stone (retreat)
  • 2 Timer Ball (search)
  • 4 Ultra Ball (search)
Energy (12):
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 8 Fire Energy
The main idea here would be to boost Riot Beat with Kukui and Salazzle to score four prizes. At that point Salazzle GX can take over to clean the battlefield. What do you think about this idea?

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I've considered the Salazzle non-GX before, but I scratched it in favor of Tapu Koko.

Not only are you running DCE to instantly accelerate him in 1 turn, but you can spread 20 damage onto all as opposed to only dealing 30 status damage (potentially more) to a single Pokemon, and then you're stuck with a dead Pokemon that can get Guzma'd up and be used against you as stall.

Kukui might be a fantastic supporter for Zoroark since you already draw 2 off of its ability, you don't necessarily need THAT much more draw power in a single turn. Being able to hit for 170 is actually quite good. I rarely like Kukui, but I like it in a deck like this.

Things I would like to keep about this kind of deck is the Kartana GX and the Rainbow Energy. Most people are playing Tapu Koko with DCE, and being able to discard people's DCE's is fantastic. The 1 prize grab with the GX attack is also fantastic for enabling Salazzle GX's Diabolical Claws much sooner. Rainbow Energy grants you access to both Zoroark GX and Kartana GX's GX attack depending on the game, which then also gives you access to Acerola to scoop up your own Pokemon and reposition your board.

The thickest line of Salazzle I would play in a Zoroark GX/Salazzle GX mix is a 3/3 line.

EDIT: I already know about Zoroark GX/Lycanroc GX, but the US format has about 20% representation of Grass decks (Golisopod GX, Tapu Bulu GX).

Lycanroc GX is good in Japan because everyone is playing Zoroark and no one is playing Grass in standard (or so I assume based on top 16 results at regionals), so you can hit Zoroark GX for weakness and OHKO it and no one is hitting Lycanroc GX for weakness except for Shining Genesct techs.

In our meta, Lycanroc GX does not have the same level of effect. You're welcome to prove me wrong when Zoroark GX comes out by going 2-0 against Golisopod GX, but Japan runs a different format than we do and you have to respect that. You can't just play the 1st place deck in Japan and expect it to be 1st place in the US/UK, and vice versa.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi Duo,

Good point on Salazzle. Still not sold on Kartana GX but I did not have the chance to test him much. I would still run some Zoroark non-GX in the deck since he is a fantastic attacker in a format with turn one Bridgette.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Agreed. I'm not sure if you saw it in my original list, but I have 2 copies of it in there. I've since cut it down to only 1 copy though. It's purpose is for a single assassination when your opponent has a full bench or for dealing with BUS Alolan Ninetales. Zoroark GX is by far more consistent with the ability and the attack, and I would never dedicate more than 1 Zorua to a non-GX Zoroark.

Skater_J

Aspiring Trainer
Wow, I'm very surprised to stumble across this list and find that it is very close to the one I built this week. I like your style @Duo ! You had some great foresight posting about this deck way back in September.

With Zoroark/Golispod and Zoroark/Decidueye dominating the current meta, Zoroark/Salazzle is a extremely good counter to those decks.

I also use Tapu-koko promo. Other techs that I would recommend:

1 - Sudowoodo BKP 67 use "watch and learn" to OHKO fighting weak pokemon: Drampa-GX, Tauros-GX, Silvally-GX and most importantly Zoroark-GX
If your opponent uses any kind of substantial attack, just Guzma up a fighting weak pokemon (there's lots out there right now) and take couple prizes or 6 in a row like I did in one lucky game.

1 - Mewtwo EVO 51 use it's first attack (with a choice band) to OHKO psychic weak pokemon: Buzzwole-GX, Espeon-GX, Mewtwo-GX.

I struggled a bit with the Gardevoir matchup but instead of Kartana as a metal attacker I instead added Magearna-EX. Magearna can one shot a Gardevoir and Sylveon without a choice band and with it's ability it has the added benefit of stopping Plea-GX from happening to any pokemon with rainbow Energy on it. I would recommend running 4 x Rainbow Energy. Salazzle is perfect for a OHKO on Garde in the late game, since Gardevoir decks are now running Max potion I feel like the only solid counter to Gardevoir is a deck that can one shot it, and this one can.

I had one Zoroark BKT in my deck but since I don't run any float stone I didn't find it particularly useful. I also run a 2/2 line of Salazzle-GX/Salandit

I also struggled with the Greninja match up. Magearna can help with it's ability if you have a Rainbow energy on it and other pokemon but the matchup is still very difficult. I couldn't find that great of a grass tech card to counter the deck. I tried the new shining legends Carnivine and Pinsir from breakpoint I believe but both just could last for one attack. I have conceded that the only effective tech card is Giratina promo, which can always be discard fodder for Zoroark in the rest of your matches, but it sucks when you are forced to start Giratina in a non-relevant match like I've had to do lol.

Anyway great ideas @Duo I would love to hear if you've had any other insights on the deck since September.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I've honestly not touched this list for a while, so I have not played it in a way that's updated to keep up with the shifting meta, but I do have some things I would change.

For starters, everything you've mentioned is more or less valid. Personally, I'm still somewhat divided when it comes to playing a large amount of techs since those very techs have been the reason why I lose games, such as being forced to open Espeon EX in a Ninetales/Zoroark deck and having it get KO'd early or Guzma KO'd for prize advantage. I don't like the "just take the auto-loss" logic either, but I do think that there are decks who inherently have an advantage because their core kit doesn't require heavy teching. I generally like to function by a rule of no more than 2 basic tech cards I wouldn't want to open it, and then 1 or 2 Stage 1 tech cards like Zoroark BKT in this deck. I think of it like Tapu Lele GX - you run 3 because you want 3, but you also end up starting Lele a lot. If you ran 3 basic Pokemon techs, your odds of starting as 1 of your techs is just as high as starting as 1 Tapu Lele, which I guess you've already experienced a bit with starting Giratina Promo in irrelivent match ups. My only exception to this is Tapu Koko, because it's a free retreater and never slows your game plan down.

Some things I would do for my list immediately at this point:

-2 Tapu Koko - there are just way too many of these
-1 Zoroark BKT - You never need him more than once per game
-1 Kartana GX - Bench space is a realistic issue. I liked the concept of using the GX attack to take an early prize for Salazzle GX's Diabolical Claws, but that's realistically never happening in a way that will make sense for you.
-2 Rescue Stretcher - Trade this for puzzle of time and field blower
-1 Special Charge - Trade this for puzzle of time
-2 Acerola - Not as good in this deck. Need more room for other stuff.
Convert all rainbow energy to fire energy - Simple reason. Enhanced Hammer is showing up in a lot of decks.

+1 Mewtwo - A valid tech for our current meta. Buzzwole ruins this deck pretty hard, so you need something to fight it. Also covers Gallade and is actually good against Gardevoir as a 1 prize attacker option as well.
+1 Latios - I think a lot of people don't like this card right now, but it's jet punch on a non-GX Pokemon that hit's for psychic weakness. 30/30 puts amazing pressure on Gardevoir decks and the upcoming Solgaleo who is weak to Psychic when still hanging around as a Cosmog. The 30/30 split is just all around really good and single handedly pressures all stage 2 decks with 2 turn KOs on basics and the fact that your opponent is never evolving all of their basics after a Brigette in 2 turns.
+1 Zoroark GX - If nothing else, just trade more and more.

+4 Puzzle of Time - I think this card makes too much sense in Zoroark GX. Discard 1 card, draw 2. You can sculpt your hand any way you want in order to get 2 puzzles in hand since you're not continuously hand dropping or reshuffling with Sycamore or N. You also run Mallow if you just absolutely need puzzle of times right away. This is inherently better than both Rescue stretcher and special charge since you grab back 2 of any card to your hand whereas rescue stretcher only grabs 1 Pokemon and Special charge only puts energy back into the deck, which is just frankly too slow.

+1 Field Blower - You just need it because you are an ability deck.

+1 Brigette - Zoroark needs a bench to do damage. Increase your odds of having a bench for that condition.

As for the Sudowoodo and Magearna EX:

Sudowoodo covers Pokemon that you don't really take an auto loss to. If Silvally pumps on a fighting memory, then promote Lele or make it a point to make a Salazzle and they won't be OHKOing you. Lele choice banded can 2 hit KO Silvally at 2 or 3 energy, and if you buttered one up earlier with a Koko or a Latios, then you can take 2 hit KOs without it at 3 energy, and their best option is to 2 hit KO you as well. It's an even playing ground that depends on who takes initiative first. At that point, even if they were to go after a Zoroark with Guzma, they are still definitely losing a Silvally next turn if you already damaged it. Salazzle GX can also opt to discard their energy. It's not easy getting 3 energy back onto Silvally. It takes at least 2 turns if they don't have another one set up ready to accelerate energy, in which case you wouldn't GX attack.

Magearna EX simply because it's a 2 prize loss in any match up. I don't like 2 prize offensive tech options, and I like them even less when you need to attach energy for 2 turns to use them offensively. That gives your opponent time to respond and compensate for your strategy.

Ultimately I backed off from this list because I don't think it runs that well. Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX runs better because it has single energy attachment attacks globally throughout the deck and benefits from running Acerola for sustainability. The fact that Salazzle GX needs 2 energy is actually a huge factor in how responsive the deck can be. The only reason why this is an issue is because you run only 6 fires in here, and that's just not enough to guarantee the 2 attachments you need all the time even with Trade In. You will also generally be prioritizing your attach for turn on a DCE instead.

I think this deck is still fine, but I just don't resonate with how it plays at the moment.

Skater_J

Aspiring Trainer
@Duo I can definitely agree with you with on a number of fronts like more field blowers, add a Mewtwo, less Tapu koko, less Zoroark BKT, less Kartana, less rescue stretcher, more Zoroark-GX, and use Mallow. But I'm not sure about puzzle of time. I'm personally not a fan.

I would respectfully disagree with you on adding a Latios, removing rainbow energy, Acerolas, Sudowoodo, and Magearna-EX.

Although Sudowoodo covers pokemon you don't take an auto-loss to it's still ideal in the sense that it is covering the majority of weakness in the current meta which is Fighting. Sudowoodo is great for the prize trade, sacrifice 1 prize to get 2. Almost every deck I have come across on PTCGO lately has pokemon that are fighting weak, Zoroark is extremely popular now and players are also still rocking Drampa and Darkrai decks. Out of 6 matches I played today 5 of them had GX/EX pokemon with fighting weakness. I could always tech in Buzzwole-GX but as you mentioned using 2 prize tech cards is not ideal.

Magearna-EX is actually used mostly as a support pokemon, but comes in as a clutch attacker if needed. If you have Rainbow energy on your other pokemon you can prevent a variety of negative effects with Magearna's ability. Some examples are Drampa's righteous edge, Espeon-GX's confusion, Espeon-EX's devolve, Skarmory's metallic sound, Greninja's shadow stitching (if you have a rainbow on Magearna as well) and a variety of poison based attacks. I find that with Magearna my opponent's usually wants to Guzma up attackers instead of support pokemon like Magearna. Magearna goes largely unoticed until you start putting energy on it.

Funny enough, I was using Latios in my deck but I found that having 2 psychic tech cards was a little much and I needed to diversify. Mewtwo won out of the two. I also found that placing a precious double colorless energy on a pokemon that couldn't do major damage wasn't ideal.

The case for Acerola is to mostly stream back to back Zoroark-GXs. You can also easily use Acerola to cycle Salazzle as it only needs 2 energy, just make sure you have a fire energy on a benched Salandit and you are golden.

I would keep the Rainbow energy as it also works well with Acerola to get a non-attacker pokemon out of the active while conserving energy.

I agree that Zoroark/Golisipod definitely runs better but since it was the EIC winner but I would argue a deck designed to counter it is stronger. I am also getting results that are quite favorable. I mean just this morning I beat a fully setup Heatmor/Raichu deck with Zoroark/Salazzle so that just speaks for itself lol. I also beat Zoroark/Decidueye...so there's that :)

It's Litten

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know if anyone is paying attention to this still, but it's worth a shot. Now that metal decks are going to have prominence, and the new Solgaleo GX wont come out until later, the consistency that zoroark gives and weakness you hit with salazzle could be awesome.

Skater_J

Aspiring Trainer
I'm definitely holding out hope for this deck still, but it's going to be caught in the middle of the metal/fire/water meta crossfire.

I can see Glaceon-GX dominating the upcoming ultra prism format so water weakness is not a good one to have (as well as an ability on a GX/EX pokemon....Zoroark-GX....noooooo...I don't want to give you up buddy....). I can also see Leafeon-GX/Decidueye rising in popularity so fire decks will be good to play since you are hitting both Grass and Metal for weakness. Unfortunately for Salazzle, Volcanion is the most popular competitive fire deck and will also hit Salazzle for weakness due to Volcanion's water/fire dual typing. I guess you could save Salazzle for late game by utilizing Zoroark + Acerola but that is difficult way to play a deck. Truth be told though Cythnia may allow the 'save until later' style of playing to work. I am sure that Cythnia will definitely change play styles, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how power she is :).

I'm thinking I might turn back to playing VikaBulu or a spicy psychic or fighting deck to get away from the triangle of common weaknesses in the upcoming meta. It's too bad my boy Marshadow-GX has now been crushed into dust by Glaceon-GX. I had tons of fun playing Marshadow Toolbox decks....RIP Marshadow.

My hypothesis is that Octillery and Vikavolt are going to be staples in the upcoming format due to Glaceon's GX ability blocking. I'm going to gravitate toward those style decks myself. The Octillery/Cyrus combo is going to be clutch :D