Discussion About the rotation of 2018...

Angel Duran

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think that all the remaning expantions of XY will rotate? i don't want to lose my Volcanion-EX :(

1) Still pretty early to discuss it...

2) ...but I expect we'll lose the last of the XY series.

3) You can still run it in Expanded.

I want it to be Evolutions-On for the sake of it being a throwback set but I'm expecting Sun and Moon on.

Unless something is done, we'll lose N and Sycamore. What will happen next? Well, either chaos will ensue, or Cynthia becomes the new "necessary draw support" card.

Other casualties include Octillery, every BREAK evolution, all EXs, all Megas, oh boy.

100% will be SUM-on. They rotate in blocks. When they went to BCR-on, they lost all the Plasma sets. Then, they lost all the BW sets and went to XY-on. Afterwards, they rotated to PRC-on, AKA they rotated all the sets without Ancient Trait Pokèmon. Then, they lost all the Ancient Trait Pokèmon and went to BKT-on. The next step is obviously rotating all the BREAKs, EXs, and Megas and going to SUM-on.

I would agree with SM and on. I predict a slow format, if they don't bring back Sycamore or something similar. I'm perfectly good with that, though. I enjoy setup decks. Plus, it'll let me do a Hau/Alolan Sandlash draw engine deck and run an attacker whose damage scales off of hand size. Those things are always fun, but N was making it near impossible.

I would agree with SM and on. I predict a slow format, if they don't bring back Sycamore or something similar. I'm perfectly good with that, though. I enjoy setup decks. Plus, it'll let me do a Hau/Alolan Sandlash draw engine deck and run an attacker whose damage scales off of hand size. Those things are always fun, but N was making it near impossible.

I prefer to think of it as a "Not so stupidly fast that it breaks basic game mecahnics" format, but I'll settle for calling it "Less Fast" format. Even "Slower" format is misleading. ;)

I prefer to think of it as a "Not so stupidly fast that it breaks basic game mecahnics" format, but I'll settle for calling it "Less Fast" format. Even "Slower" format is misleading. ;)
Ok, yeah, you got me. Slow might have been a bit incorrect, but at least it won't be as fast.

Ok, yeah, you got me. Slow might have been a bit incorrect, but at least it won't be as fast.

Thanks for understanding; I know a lot of players who don't know the game pre-Black & White have a hard time comprehending how things worked before Professor Juniper/Professor Sycamore. Which isn't to discount the many important Pokémon-based draw/search effects that supplemented weaker Supporters of yesteryear, but I think we have enough replacements for them that Cynthia will still give us the second or third fastest era of the TCG. I mean, depending upon how you classify things; I'm treating pre-Modified as one unit and period while we've had a "Discard your hand. Draw 7 cards." supporter as a unit as well. Break those down, and its only in the top 10. XD

Thanks for understanding; I know a lot of players who don't know the game pre-Black & White have a hard time comprehending how things worked before Professor Juniper/Professor Sycamore. Which isn't to discount the many important Pokémon-based draw/search effects that supplemented weaker Supporters of yesteryear, but I think we have enough replacements for them that Cynthia will still give us the second or third fastest era of the TCG. I mean, depending upon how you classify things; I'm treating pre-Modified as one unit and period while we've had a "Discard your hand. Draw 7 cards." supporter as a unit as well. Break those down, and its only in the top 10. XD
I will forever remember google Cawthon's The Truth. That thing was just beautiful. I agree, having a Discard and draw 7 supporter vs not should definitely be considered it's own unit.

I'm going to be really annoying and say that we do still have 2 ancient trait Pokemon in standard, which are the breakthrough blister pack promos of Sableye and Celebi. Neither are used competitively, but the Celebi does have the very nice Leap Through Time ability, when it is knocked out you flip a coin. If heads, shuffle it back into your deck and your opponent can't take any prizes for it, kind of like a robo substitute. Irrelevant I know, but I find it interesting that we still have 2 Pokemon with ancient traits when all the others were removed.

There will also be no more Bridgette, but we'll still have Pokémon Fan Club since that got reprinted in Ultra Prism.

I built a Meowstic/Bewear/Raichu/Hau&Tierno deck once. It was a freakin blast to play. Not competitive since N is so prevelant, but I once one shot a Metagross GX with it. XD

I built a Meowstic/Bewear/Raichu/Hau&Tierno deck once. It was a freakin blast to play. Not competitive since N is so prevelant, but I once one shot a Metagross GX with it. XD
Amazing. In expanded, I occasionally play an Ancient Trait Metagross/Alolan Sandshrew/Hau/Tierno/Cheren/Kukui/Skates deck. Metagross has the Ancient Trait that let's him have two Choice Bands. It's hilarious, but obviously has the same problem with N.

Amazing. In expanded, I occasionally play an Ancient Trait Metagross/Alolan Sandshrew/Hau/Tierno/Cheren/Kukui/Skates deck. Metagross has the Ancient Trait that let's him have two Choice Bands. It's hilarious, but obviously has the same problem with N.

SPICY. That sounds like a blast to play. I can only imagine your opponents face with 2 Choice Band attached.

SPICY. That sounds like a blast to play. I can only imagine your opponents face with 2 Choice Band attached.
I feel like there's a Pokemon with an attack that does more damage for each card in your hand, but I just can''t remember. If they actually don't reprint N (which is a significant if), the deck could actually be almost semi-viable. Ah,well. With my luck, then my opponents would just start playing Llima anyways.

I feel like there's a Pokemon with an attack that does more damage for each card in your hand, but I just can''t remember. If they actually don't reprint N (which is a significant if), the deck could actually be almost semi-viable. Ah,well. With my luck, then my opponents would just start playing Llima anyways.

Probably, haha. Once N rotates, Ilima will become an automatic one to two of in all of my decks. Even though it is a coin flip, letting players just do whatever they want with their hand is just too strong. Sylveon will be straight broken without a relevant shuffle supporter to disrupt your opponents hand. I just hate the thought of even MORE RNG in the game. RNG is a terrible mechanic for TCGs.

Probably, haha. Once N rotates, Ilima will become an automatic one to two of in all of my decks. Even though it is a coin flip, letting players just do whatever they want with their hand is just too strong. Sylveon will be straight broken without a relevant shuffle supporter to disrupt your opponents hand. I just hate the thought of even MORE RNG in the game. RNG is a terrible mechanic for TCGs.
I 100% agree. All the strong search attacks we have nowadays have always been balanced around the fact that N could just undo it all. Without N, stuff like Metagross and Drampa's GX attacks will probably become a lot stronger, though how much stronger is hard to tell. And of course Sylveon would be disgusting, as you mentioned.

I 100% agree. All the strong search attacks we have nowadays have always been balanced around the fact that N could just undo it all. Without N, stuff like Metagross and Drampa's GX attacks will probably become a lot stronger, though how much stronger is hard to tell. And of course Sylveon would be disgusting, as you mentioned.

Unlike other TCGs Pokemon has a TON of interaction with the deck, making it incredibly easy to pull off combo decks without a card like N. Though, I would be very interested in seeing what the meta game would look like without Ilima, Wicke, N or the new Marshadow. I would be incredibly curious to see what kind of crazy combos people could come up with without ANY of those cards. I feel like the meta would be incredible diverse and creative for a few weeks, but some crazy OP deck would spring up that would just dominate the entire game.

Back